The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
credit card fraud call - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: credit card fraud call (/showthread.php?tid=43982)

credit card fraud call - ohliz - 02-16-2012

I just got a call from my card company...someone tried to charge many thousand which was declined (of course, lol), and then they tried $8.50 which went through.

My card company froze the card and called me and we went through the charges. Minimal inconvenience- I need a new card so can't use this one for a few days.

I haven't been to JA for nearly two years so JA has nothing to do with it. I think it was either Chipotle or the gas station I went to last night, personally. But that's my CC company's problem, not mine. (Which is why i love to use a credit card especially over a debit card!)

Since I'm such an advocate for using credit cards on vacation in JA (I call mine to tell them when I'll be there) I am thinking through what I'd have done if in JA right now.

I'd need a backup, like a debit card to get cash or second credit card account or trav checks.

...and that's it. Fraud detected immediately (fraudulent charges were attempted this morning), company froze card, we spoke and a new card is on the way. To me still beats the heck out of wondering how I lost all my cash....

Re: credit card fraud call - barbara - 02-16-2012

Good Greif... What a hassle...

The ABSOLUTE WORSE place you can use your card is the Gas Station.. inside and especially the Pumps where you can swipe the card..

They don't watch those pumps 24-7 and its easy to put one of those Card Reader Thingys on those pumps..

Glad you got that cleared up...

So are you saying the same would not have been true if it was a "Debit" card??

Re: credit card fraud call - sammyb - 02-16-2012

I was about to go on a cruise when my cc company closed my account without talking to me to see if a charge was valid

i went shopping at target before i planned to board the ship and they thought it was fraud and that was in Houston Tx lol!

i was sick because that was the one time I had planned to use that card for my sign and sail expenses

from that lesson i have changed how i travel...for jamaica i mostly use TC (so glad my credit union still issues them) and i bring a back up atm card (not a debit card it's just an atm) and one CC and i be sure and call the CC and bank about my travel plans, my worse fear is to be out of the country and have issues with a card and have NO money.

Re: credit card fraud call - Jenny - 02-16-2012

Glad that it worked out OK, Liz!! I'm currently researching how to handle the cash problem for Don & I for our vacation in May. In the past, I've always used traveller's cheques, but those are just not available anymore. I won't use my credit card due to the high usage fees. So that leaves using my debit card at an ATM. Based on some others' feedback, I've decided to open a special "vacation checking account" at our local bank, with two debit cards attached to it, one for me & one for Don, and just use that while we're on vacation.

Re: credit card fraud call - sammyb - 02-17-2012

Jen,
I like the idea of a "special" checking acct just for travel linked to a debit card, I may have to use that one myself, thanks!

Re: credit card fraud call - wit - 02-18-2012

glad things turned out ok for you Liz. Scary stuff.

I opened a scotia account just for Jamaica. The only cash in there is what I plan on spending on vacation. Works great for us.