The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Point Village Review - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Point Village Review (/showthread.php?tid=50828)

Pages: 1 2

Point Village Review - BrenJaLee - 06-11-2012

Point Village Review from May, 2012

I was looking for something a little different this trip, wanting to be just a little bit “off the beaten path” should I say but yet still close enough to everything I love about Negril. In doing my research, I kept coming back to Point Village. I researched a number of different units there, looking at tons of pictures and sending off messages to a number of owners and a couple people who have previously stayed there. I ended up in touch with Rolf and Andrea and they were so pleasant to work with, and the pictures of their place had it at the top of my list, so I decided to book it – 14 nights. I got everything I was looking for… AND MORE!!!

From the moment I booked, Rolf and Andrea were so amazingly accommodating. We e-mailed back/forth several times before I went down and they answered every question I might have had. Once I paid the final installment, they sent me instructions on how to get in as well as a really nice list with all kinds of information about Point Village and Negril (much of it would be especially good info for newbies!).

I coordinated my own transfer from the airport and couldn’t wait to check out this new spot. Once arriving at Point Village, we had no problem going through Security and down, down, down to the very bottom, as close to the water as you can get! By the way, Security at PV is really good and very friendly. They get to know who is who and if we had guests coming to see us, we just needed to call them ahead of time to let them know the names of our friends and they would even help direct them on how to get to our unit.

Upon arriving at our unit, we walked in and were treated to the most spectacular view of the ocean. This was, by far, the best view that I have had in all the places I’ve stayed in Negril (my 9th trip and 7th different location). Although the space wasn’t huge, it had everything you could possibly want. ..

* Plenty of dresser/table space for two people to spread out all of their things.

* The most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on in Negril (truly!!!)

* Seating area with two comfortable chairs and side table

* New flat-screen TV (small but just fine) with more cable stations than you could count

* DVD player

* Stereo (with a selection of CDs)

* Complimentary wifi with a perfectly strong signal!

* House phone to make free local calls

* Cell phone provided (you just need to add minutes)

* Kitchen with large fridge/freezer, sink, electric stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and blender

* Everything from silverware and dishes to cutting boards, pots/pans, bottle openers, plenty of knives, just everything you could possibly need. (I REALLY like that they have plenty of dishes and silverware so you didn’t have to constantly be doing dishes.) They even provided dishwashing detergent!

* A/C that works very good

* Housekeeper that comes every 3-4 days and keeps the place looking great!

* Plenty of towels, even beach towels are provided

* A number of books to read as well as a set of dominos and playing cards!

* Lots of hooks on the wall in the dressing area to hang things from – nice touch!

* And I saved the best for last… the BEST balcony ever! Nice table with 4 chairs at a height where you can fully enjoy the most expansive, gorgeous view!!!!!

Probably the only negative thing I could say is that there is virtually no Digicel reception inside the unit. In order for your cell phone to work, you need to be on the patio and sometimes hanging over the edge. Unfortunately this is no fault of the owners, just a minor issue that if you use your cell regularly, you need to be aware of.

We also had a couple days where the water would go out for a few hours. Again, nothing the owners can do about this, it is a problem that’s been happening in Negril regularly for the last year or so (pipe issues). The good thing is we found out that even when the water in the complex is out, there is an outdoor shower by the pool that is on its own system so you can always go wash off there if you need to rinse off sand/salt water from being at the beach. The water pressure was also a little low if you waited to take your shower until around 5 or 6 pm (I think that is a popular time for a lot of people so if too many in the complex are using it at once, pressure goes down). But if you shower at a less popular time, the pressure is AWESOME!!!

Otherwise, I really can’t say enough about this place and the owners are so accommodating and responsive to any and all questions, no matter how small. While there, I corresponded with the owners several times via e-mail and they always got back to me very quickly. Knowing that they don’t get down there as often as I’m sure they would like, I thought I’d alert them to just a few minor things that didn’t really affect us on vacation but I figured as owners they would want to know about. They were so appreciative of the help and I was glad to do it. One was an issue with a water leak in the bathtub. They had no idea. I wonder how many guests thought about this issue but never bothered to mention it. How is the owner supposed to know if nobody tells them, right? He was so happy to know about this as I’m sure the leak was costing them money. It was fixed that day! So, note to future guests, use the free wifi and let the owner know of anything that might be a question or issue. I guarantee they will be happy to know about it!

The owner is also kind enough to let guests use the two bikes they have there. We used them almost daily. At first, the tires were low but in an e-mail correspondence from the owners, we found out about a pump they have stored in the unit. We located it and bikes were ready to go! They even supplied us with a light to put on the bike for riding after dark!

To any future guests, if you have any questions or concerns while you are there, don’t waste time and energy worrying about it… just contact one of the local people they have on a list for you from the housekeeper to handyman, or simply e-mail the owner. They are all quick to respond! You’ll get your answers and not have to waste any energy on your vacation.

I have to also put in a plug for Penzie, one of the cab drivers that hangs at the entrance to Point Village. He was awesome! Very reasonable and would come down to the unit to pick us up if we didn’t feel like making the long walk to the road.

The whole complex was so quiet and peaceful. It was exactly what I needed on this vacation. The location of this unit was ideal – I personally think it’s the best in the whole complex! Crashing waves right off the patio and full 180 degree view! Even if you were inside with the A/C on, you could still hear the waves crashing! The complex itself has a pool, two beaches (one is au natural), snorkeling coves and lots of walk paths. It is very private but as such, it’s about a 5-10 min. walk (I didn’t time it) to the main road to catch a route taxi. Close enough to everything yet far enough for privacy.

If anyone has any questions about Point Village, please feel free to ask. In the meantime, here are number of photos from Unit 105.

View from the balcony...

Rock Pools (which you have a perfect view of from the balcony too!)

Re: Point Village Review - suzengrace - 06-11-2012

Wow..what a delightful place...seems to have it all....
so how far was it from -lets say the hi-lo ??? ie taxi fare??

Thank you for sharing so much detailed info-have to keep this one on a list-I think it esp be good for first timers to negril ..

Re: Point Village Review - wit - 06-11-2012

ahhhh slippy's place....excellent!!!! BEST unit in all of PV> Thanks for the pictures Smile

Medi they do long term rates.

Re: Point Village Review - Sharleen - 06-11-2012

BrenJaLee, when I first went to Jamaica in the early 1970's this place used to be my favorite place... keep in mind back in those days "Rutland Point" -- the entire point was totally natural, just absolutely nothing there at all. There was a little walk foot path that took you to "the point". On the way, there was a marooned white and blue, fairly large, boat there tipped sideways. A fisherman used to live in it.
We would go and spend the entire day there, usually bringing some kind of food like an orange, hard boiled egg, a papaya, just things easy to bring back in those early times. Sometimes we would swim out to Booby Key, it is a far longer way than it looks & I would always use flippers and still kind of have a hard time. Inevitably, James Palmer would find us with his canoe filled with so many beautiful shells. The price of that place is really RIGHT & I will eventually stay there.
It looks absolutely beautiful and so very clean. I usually stay pretty far out in the west end, at a pretty discounted price and some of the amenities are fairly yucky as far as moldy bathrooms and so on. One thing I always each and every time try and do though, is stay completely right on the sea where I can get up and look at the ocean right there directly in front of me, like within 20 or 30 feet away. This probably stems from my living in a river valley ringed by mountains with "THE OCEAN" at least three hours away by car.

Re: Point Village Review - Sophie - 06-11-2012

Wow- that view is wonderful, room too. Very impressed by those sun shades that roll down- nice.

Re: Point Village Review - BrenJaLee - 06-12-2012

I see I'm not the only one who still calls him Slippy! Smile Yes, they still have a pool and it was in good condition while we were there (and used it).

For an off the beaten path place, this was DEFINITELY perfect for me. You're right RG, I didn't like the West End at all so this was the best compromise. Not too far away but amazingly private and peaceful. And THAT VIEW!!!!!! Although I have to admit, I really really did miss not being right on the beach.

We debated long and hard about what to do for the Christmas/New Years trip. Slippy's place isn't available but his neighbor's unit in the same building that we had a chance to look at is equally nice and it's 3rd floor with FULL view of Booby Key and all the boats out on the reef. But we debated and debated if we wanted to be at PV or on the main beach. Finally we concluded to book PV again but I still am debating if it was the right thing to do. I'm going to have so many friends staying on the main beach that I fear I'll be disappointed I won't be with the whole gang. But I did like really like the privacy PV gave my BF and I. I'm still torn.

Re: Point Village Review - rootswoman - 06-12-2012

Really nice review Brenda - Thanks for sharing this -

Re: Point Village Review - JonTom - 06-12-2012

Excellent review - have motored/floated/sailed past there and the "rock pools" have at alternate times looked like an oasis or a washing machine.

A few have told us they would like to own one of those units (after they turned individual ownership a few years ago), but now they announce similar wistful aspirations about the properties to the north (Little Bloody Bay, I suppose).

But I must ask:

~ BrenJaLee ~ wrote:

' with a light to put on the bike for
riding after dark! '

Where would you ride bikes after dark? Down to the gas station/shop by Negril Aerodrome? H11 or the other place? Surely not on the beach road (I hope for your sake - many can navigate JA and the roads w/motobike etc., but damn, bicycle in the dark!).

Re: Point Village Review - BrenJaLee - 06-12-2012

JonTom, my BF would ride the bike to Cool Spot and pick us up dinner and sometimes it was getting dark by the time he was headed back. That's when the light came in handy. You're right, no way would I ride at night but he was comfortable with it.

Re: Point Village Review - rastagirl777 - 06-13-2012

PV has their own beach, no?

Bren - in my humble opinion you made a great choice for Christmas. What I love about living away from the mix in Negril is the ability to leave the party. So you have easy peasy access to the busy beach, the friends staying on the busy beach but when you've had enough of the busy beach you have easy peasy access back to your private condo with your man to chill, gaze at your view, rest up and do it all again the next day if you want.

PV, like everywhere in Negril, will be sold out and busy that week - so I'm sure you'll make new friends there!

We'll be living at the total opposite ends of Negril from each other but I hope we'll have a chance to meet somewhere in the middle when you come back for the holidaze.