The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics (/showthread.php?tid=50796)

Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - suzengrace - 06-11-2012

Got back a couple weeks ago from a fantastic trip to Puerto Rico..Spent 2 nites in Old San Juan and then 5 nites on Vieques Island... Vieques Island has been on my bucket list for awhile-and wanted to take my mom to a tropical island (shes never been) for her B-day-shes 80yo and in great health but walks with a cane-
I picked PR-cuz for us Amercians there is NO immigration issue-dont even need a passport-and they only use US currency-English and Spanish our the official languages and they have some excellent hospitals there..
I myself have only been to old san juan on a cruise stopover-and since it was when i was in High school- i enjoyed the rum too much and didn't really get to appreciate all the awesome history and esp. architecture this little gem had to offer. We only ventured outside old san juan once -and that was to go to the beautiful rain forest "El Yunque" out in the countryside/hills..So i really didnt get to exp all of the island for sure-but i would definitely go back, rent-a-car and go exploring. Being my moms b-day I splurged in old san juan and stayed at the hotel El Convento-not a penny wasted..excellent location-in old san juan(can walk everywhere) across the street from one of the oldest churches in the new Americas (400 yo)with Ponce De Leons remains there-and still a functioning church-was great to sit on the park bench across street and hear the service , smell the incense wafting and see all the people.. I have lots of pics so may will break it up..and Vieques Island such a magical-special place that I will have to do it separately-
Cant say enough positive things about PR amd esp Vieques ....

The gate into the old city

Entrance to the governors mansions

The governors mansion

The Wall surrounding the city

The beautiful streets and homes

The cathedral of San Juan Bautista-founded in 1521

• Hotel El Convento-origi

nally a carmelite nun convent founded in 1651

View from my room to the square and San Juan Church

view of the hotel lobby

Courtyard where meals and drinks were served...BTW-Did you know that
      Puerto Rico is the birthplace of the Pina Colada ??? and yes, they were excellent!!

Rooftop view of Old San Juan looking to the mainland of PR ..

More to follow...

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan - oldtimer - 06-11-2012

VERY NICE !!!!!!!

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan - doctoro - 06-11-2012

Welcome back Suzen, Happy belated birthday to your Mom, and happy you guys had this chance to share and spend this time together. You picked a very beautiful place for her first time. I love old buildings and the architecture and craftsmanship are Magnificent. The walled city still has much charm. Love those cobble stoned streets. Sounds like you both had a great time.

Your pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - Yamangurl - 06-11-2012

More please! I'd like to see/hear more about the island - Vieques(sp?)...

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - rootswoman - 06-12-2012

Wow, really Nice. I too have been very curious about Vieques and have heard great things about it.

How wonderful you were able to take a trip with your Mom. I bet she hadthe time of her life.

Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to more.

Once again I must remark about how much I enjoy traveling through the boardies eyes.

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - BrenJaLee - 06-12-2012

Beautiful! I love the teal blue house (pic toward the end) with what looks like a wonderful 2nd story veranda!

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - Tim - 06-12-2012

To be honest - in the time I spent travelling from San Juan as far west to Rincon then returning to San Juan on the south highway then north thru the mountains I saw very little sign of poverty anywhere. Lots of lower middle class is the way I would describe it.

Reminds me, I still haven't posted my pictures of Rincon and my travels south of there.

Re: Puerto Rico-Old San Juan -trip report Pics - Sharleen - 06-12-2012

beautiful pictures, I hear again and again from my best girlfriend how easy it is to stay in Puerto Rico long term, for a relatively little amount of money (comparatively) to staying long term in Jamaica.
      I want to see the photo's from Visquez, I know it is supposed to be very beautiful, but has a cancer rate something like 34% more than normal, reportedly due to the nuclear testing way back when. A couple in my area rent a little cottage there that looks great.
      From where I live, Puerto Rico is one of the cheapest places to get to in the Caribbean. My kids godfather now lives in Dominica & he goes there via Puerto Rico and has no problems with taking his dogs with him, a big plus for me! As far as staying anyplace long term, which I consider to be three months plus.