The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? (/showthread.php?tid=50726)

Pages: 1 2

Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - jeannieb - 06-09-2012

I am looking for an AUTHENTIC recipe for brown stew chicken. I've been craving it for the last couple days. Recipes I've found on line are all different and some don't have "browning sauce".

Any favorite-close-as-it-gets recipes you can share? I'll be serving with/over rice.

*one more thing...can I buy browning sauce in the States?

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - wit - 06-09-2012

sprats making brown stew today Smile Maybe she'll stop by. Yes you can buy browning sauce in the states (I'd imagine as we have it here Smile ) Good luck!

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - Sophie - 06-09-2012

Kitchen Bouquet is browning sauce. I don't know if it is exactly the same because I brought back browning sauce from Ja so have never tried it.

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - rastagirl777 - 06-09-2012

I learned to cook Jamaican from Jamaicans, so here's mine:

In a blender or food processor combine:
- soy sauce
- Browning Sauce (just a little, it can be overpowering)
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped tomato
- Chopped Garlic
- Chopped sweet pepper
- A few crushed pimento berry (allspice)
- Fresh Thyme

Pour over your chicken and let marinate 4 hours to overnight.

Get your pan hot with some oil. Remove chicken from marinade, scraping off excess and brown in pan, about 10 minutes on each side. Pour reserved marinade over chicken in pan, add some sliced carrots and potato (if you want). Simmer until sauce is reduced by about half.

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - Pineapple - 06-09-2012

Jeannie when will dinner be ready?

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - Sprat - 06-09-2012

I have tried a few recipes over the years, and I too have learned from Jamaican friends who know how to cook. Paula and Trevor from 3 Dives and DeBar are both awesome cooks and I have learned tips from them. I use Graces browning sauce...and add it as necessary.

I would never cook a chicken stew without browing first and sealing in the flavours. Mine is simmering now, and thickening. I choose to use potatoes and yam in mine as they are natural thickeners and make the dish taste great.

Today when I was cooking...I was thinking of our good friend Sis Irijah who I sorely miss. She was such an inspiration.....loved her food and cooking and would go out of her way to inspire, boost and give guidance and support to everyone she met. We learn things from people along the way in this life...and she is one memorable person who touched me.

You are missed mi friend by many...

When I cook Jamaican recipes, soups or stews I love to use my beautiful hand made wooden spoons from Collington...I think of him when I am cooking as well.
Here is the brown stewed chicken in the simmering stage with one of my favorite spoons...

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - Sprat - 06-09-2012

I have come to realize some things after visiting and spending time in my beloved Jamaica. The island, the culture and the people give me a wonderful sense of well being... for many reasons.

Inspirational cooking for one...and it's not about whether I have the most authentic recipe, or if I can cook just like...or better than a Jamaican, but whether we enjoy our recipes. Jamaicans cook with love and use what they have around them...just as we all should. A dish is what tastes good to you... and if it doesn't have some of the ingredients that are found on the island...it's now become YOUR recipe : )

Jamaica can inspire...and taking the most from each reach and visit is all we can do to recreate what we love Smile

Cook because you enjoy to create and that alone brings a sense of happiness...

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - oldtimer - 06-09-2012

Sprat !!!!! again you are KILLIN' ME !!!!!!! I'm going to be doing this recipe on next weekend.

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - rastagirl777 - 06-09-2012

I agree Sprat. I started with authentic "recipes" (more cooking techniques and ingredients) and as time has gone on I've taken authentic INGREDIENTS and melded them into some great fusion dishes.

I use this brown stew recipe for both fish and beef. Oh, and the one seasoning I forgot to put in there is the "magical" chicken seasoning that I get at Wise Choice.

Happy Eating.

Re: Brown Stew Chicken Recipe? - mickey - 06-09-2012

and i can say that doc is REAL good cook!!