The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! (/showthread.php?tid=48007)

Pages: 1 2

Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - medi - 04-29-2012

Someone tell me why I do this to myself, lol. I have read lots of reviews of Grand Pineapple, and since it was so small and gets such rave reviews by so many boardies who have been there, and it's right in the middle of long bay, I thought everything would be okay. I knew that GP is a Sandals property, but thought that since GP is off by it's own as far as properties managed by Sandals go, that things would be more lax as far as the kgb stings and firing people who take tips are concerned, but now after reading some stuff on trip advisor I don't know what to think!

I understand that in the land of a wink and a nod, that things may be officially against the rules..I am just concerned with how and if they are enforced is all..I want to be able to tip if I feel like it without having to worry about the person receiving the tip being fired, whether it's technically "allowed" or not..but if that's not possible, and if I would be putting people in danger, please let me know!

I really don't know what to do to get out of it if that's true though, my friend has already purchased the stay for the two of us from August 10th to 18th. This is a really serious issue for me! At the one hand, I don't want to leave my friend in the lurch, on the other, what kind of hypocrite would I be if I went to GP and it is the kind of a place that runs such a tight ass ship that they not only underpay people (and I'm sorry, but just about EVERYONE working in the hospitality industry in Jamaica IS underpaid, and that includes Sandals resorts!) but fire them if they happen to get a little extra money?????

Someone please tell me I'm worrying for nothing and that as long as I am discreet that I can tip if I want to and won't get anyone in trouble!

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - wendy - 04-29-2012

~ medi ~ wrote:

'Someone please tell me I'm worrying for nothing '

i wouldn't let that stop me from staying at GP...theres ALWAYS a way around things, ya know Smile

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - Debra - 04-29-2012

((Medi)) You are worrying over nothing!

Please, if you tip do it in private and tell the worker not to tell. If this is going to cost someone thier job, well jobs are few and far between....So you may have to hold back and not tip at all.

Wish you the BEST...ox Debra

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - macyoder - 04-29-2012

Really, really ,Medi, you are taking tipping advise from TA:-))))))

'Rules, guidelines for the wise, blind observant of FOOLS' as said by a wise man.

Yes, officially, these properties forbid tipping. It started with Butch and the overpricing of Sandals. Yes, this is the chain that years ago told guests NOT to leave the resort to see fi mi pretti Jamaica.

Step 1- tipping should be done discreetly.

Step 2- Don't go handing over your money at first

Step 3- Spend a few days to warm up to the staff

Step 5- Inquire about their work schedule, so you don't miss the opportunity

Step 6- Assess the service you are getting always sharing a smile (u r the one on vacation)

Step 7- At the end of you stay, kindly thank the nice staff for making your stay special with a handshake or a hug.

Step 8- At this moment, simple slip a little some to show your appreciation

Step 9 For the maid, best to do this in the room

Step 10 - Keeping smiling

Now, this tip will go into the ladies bussom aka granny's purse where only welcome hands are allowed. I am not sure where the guys put it but not sure I am willing to find out:-). YES, there are people who have gotten fired more out of greed because they had forgotten they were NOT allowed to EXPECT tips. Yes, I have been to Beaches and Couples, the gurrus of non-tipping.

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - Jenny - 04-29-2012

I think you'll do fine at GP, Medi. Now, I know when Don & I stayed there, it was Negril Gardens & all, but seriously, we really enjoyed our stay there! It was an affordable vacation back in 2004 & we were able to go out for dinners at some local places, the overall price was so good there then. We tipped very discreetly, "shaking hands" with the staff members that we wanted to tip, and it worked out great. So....go & enjoy yourself! As for going with a friend who you may not have much in common with anymore, just go & wait & see what happens! Chances are, there was a reason that you & this friend once enjoyed each other's company & you can rekindle that! Or not.....no matter what, just have some time where she goes off on her own & you go off on your own too!

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - Leticia+Turcios - 04-30-2012

All 3 Resorts Brands (Sandals-Beaches and Grand Pineapple Beach) are govern by the same “No Tipping Policy”.
If you want to leave a tip for a team-member(s), you must be place in an envelope and left with the relevant person name(s) at the Front Desk Tip.
Hope this information helps you.

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - Angel - 04-30-2012

Medi think you will love being on the beach the whole time no matter where you stay. So hope everything comes together. At least you are not there the whole time with your friend.

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - Angel - 04-30-2012

Doctoro hope you and your daughter have a wonderful visit.

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - rootswoman - 05-01-2012

awhhhhh Medi. You are one lucky lady.
Now I stopped here as a fellow anxiety sufferer to tell you to QUIT TRIPPING. You have nothing to worry about my friend. Count your blessings. You will LOVE the GP. It is so pretty and colorful and right on the water. You will be in heaven. The tipping situation is what it is - although I don't believe in it, the policy was put in place so people like yourself don't have to worry about tipping every time you get a service on your vacation. Enjoy it what it is for. If you want to tip someone do it outside of the gate so no one will get in trouble.

You are a generous and kind woman but you must remember that you too are living on a budget- you should worry about what you can do to make yourself strong and healthy while on your trip and not be worrying about what you can do for others. I recently heard Suzi Orman say something I have been repeating a lot lately - "If you are in dept you CANT help others - the first thing you need to do is pay down your debt"

I'm so excited for you Medi - it sounds like a dream vacation.

Re: Really afraid of going to Grand Pineapple now! - JamaiKay - 05-13-2012

When I stayed at Grand Pineapple I tipped the bartender (helped me get speedy service all week), omelet chef & waiter & maid just like I would at any other hotel that I got good service at. I just shake their hand & pass cash discreetly. They greatly appreciate anything extra you want to give but do be careful about passing & not blatantly hand to staff in front of others.