The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Deaf kids at the Airport - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Deaf kids at the Airport (/showthread.php?tid=43510)

Deaf kids at the Airport - Markospoon - 02-09-2012

Ok Nick, See you next trip.

I stood outside the Airport Building and watched my driver pull off.

Man, he's going back to Negril and I'm going back to Chicago.

It aint fair! It aint fair!

So, i went in and checked my luggage and received my boarding pass, which is very easy now with the "scan your passport machine" American Airlines has now.

Hmmm, 2 hours to go, so I started to walk outside and then I saw them.

Maybe 40 yards away about 10 kids in uniform facing a woman.

The woman had her back to me and she was moving her hands around like she was trying to calm the kids down.

Funny, I never see Jamaican kids in public acting up to the point that a grown up must yell at them to stop.

As I got closer I noticed that the woman was using sign language!

My daughter was born deaf and I have been signing with her since she was 2 years old.

I walked over and stood so that I could read the woman signing.

When she stopped I said excuse me are these your students?
Yes, she said.

So, we started talking and she told me that they were on a field trip to Sangsters Airport.

Wow, that's wonderful.

I told the woman that my daughter graduated from college and left me to find her own future in California.

I told her that I come to Jamaica alot and I would be willing to come and spend a couple of days doing volunteer work or anything that I could to help.

I don't have money, but I will give the kids something more valuable.

My time and energy.

There were a few kids around 5-6 years old and a few more maybe 9-10.

There was one little boy, maybe 5 years old, kind of sad looking and a little shy.

Hmmmm, I will look out for him when i get to the school.

(self confidence and pride are things that must be achieved)

The other kids started in on me with sign language, but the teacher told them to calm down.

"This man has a plane to catch." she explained.

We exchanged #'s and email addresses.

I looked up the school on the internet when I got home.

The Jamaican Christian School for the Deaf, just outside of Montego Bay.

The teacher told me that school is over June 21 or something like that.

So, I must make plans to be there maybe the 1st or 2nd week of June.

If I can.

Re: Deaf kids at the Airport - Sundowner - 02-09-2012

What a wonderful opportunity - it was meant to be, I think!

Re: Deaf kids at the Airport - Markospoon - 02-09-2012

Hi JeannieB,

Thanks for your reports.

Sorry, but I do not know if ASL is universal.

I dont know if there is a Chinese or Italian or whatever.

Alot of sign language is based on the alphabet.

Like a word that starts with "H" you hold your fingers in the letter H and make the movement.

Re: Deaf kids at the Airport - Jenny - 02-09-2012

Oh, wonderful, M'Spoon! I so hope that you get to go & spend some time with these children! Especially the sad-eyed boy - I'm sure you're "just what the doctor ordered" for him!!

Re: Deaf kids at the Airport - Island+Girl - 02-14-2012

Marco, I have to tell you- nothing, but NOTHING happens by accident. You were meant to be there at that time to meet those kids and that woman. It's so great that you were/are paying attention to the energies around you and are now planning on following the path that an enormous "invisible" hand guided you to. Would that we all could make that connection...and realize that we are all truly "one" and connected...IRIE! *IG