The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
JeannieB part 4 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: JeannieB part 4 (/showthread.php?tid=42814)

JeannieB part 4 - jeannieb - 02-01-2012

Sunday January 22

Somerset Falls, Port Antonio, San San and Blue Lagoon

We met up with Dave in the morning and drove west to Somerset Falls. It was still early when we arrived, it was before 11 am. The place was not busy yet. We paid our entrance fee of $1000j per person and $750 local rate for Dave. The boat captain who takes you through and behind the falls walked us up to the falls area. He locked up our things in his locker and we hopped into the boat. Dave stayed behind, he said the water is too cold. We were taken past the falls and into a cave behind the falls. The sound was deafening. We couldn't hear what anyone was saying and the captain had to motion with his hands to make us understand anything. It was beautiful. The power of the waterfalls was amazing.

We went back to the dock and the captain told us we can change into our swimsuits and he'll take us back so we can swim and get massaged by the waterfall. Matt, Kris and I were the only ones going on this adventure. Louie can't swim. After we changed we got back into the boat and the captain took us to a deep area right in front of the water fall. One foot up on the side of the boat, push off and dive in. WOW. That water was COLD. Dave was right. It was a shock but once we surfaced and looked around, it was soooo worth it. We swam over to the big rocks under the falls, climbed up and got a 'massage'. More like a beating but it was still nice.

Then the boat captain told us to swim back to the dock. He kept the boat near us and never took his eyes off of us in case he had to jump in and save one of us. It was a very looong swim. I didn't relize how tough it was to swim in non salt water. I don't float well so I really had to work. I was tired by time we reached the end.
We climbed out of the falls, we retrieved our belongings from his locker, Matt tipped him and off we went to find Dave and Louie.

Kris and I changed into our dry clothes and found the guys at the bar. Watching Football and having drinks. There were a lot of Jamaican families at the park today and it was comical to see the women with the children in the pool and the men all hanging out watching TV. Some things are universal. Smile

After the falls we went into Port Antonio. Dave was heading to the tire store when we got pulled over again. A lady cop eyeballed us asked Dave a few questions and did a 'fitness test' on his car. I heard her say something about if he knew us. She left us alone. She was razzing Dave about his tire and he told her that he was on the way to get it replaced when she stopped him. She let him go with a $500j ticket for no seatbelt. I asked him if he was going to go pay it when he opened his glove box and pulled out 2 more. He said he pays them the say they are due.

He dropped the car off at the tire shop and we all went walking around town. We went to the market area but only a few ladies were set up. I bought a bunch of bananas, quite a few oranges a few tomatoes and something else (i forget). Total was $500j. I didn't take too many pics of town. It just didn't feel right to whip out my camera and start taking pictures. I did sneak in a few though.

Dave asked us where we wanted to eat and we told him someplace he would go. We ended up at Zilla's. It was a great place to eat. Busy and cheap. There is a window when you walk up and you can see everything going on in the kitchen. The baked chicken was fresh out of the oven so we ordered 3 lunches, 2 for us and 1 for Dave. Total including 2 juices and Cola was $1020.

After lunch we walked back to the tire shop. Car was not ready yet so we just hung around people watching.

Back to Drapers

Back at Drapers we walked to the Blue Lagoon with Dave. On the way we ran into Sarge who works at San San beach. He let us walk in without paying just to take some pictures.

Onto the Blue Hole. King Saba (Rastaman we met in Drapers) has a boat there and offered us a ride to San San, Monkey Island and around the Blue Lagoon for $1000 per person, there were 4 of us. We wanted to do this and the price was right but we didn't have enough money. Collectively I think we had about $2000j. I bought a bamboo ashtray for $500j. That was my money spent. It was a good buy, I like it.

After the Blue Hole we stopped at The Flaming Dutchpot for dinner. A little ital restaurant in Drapers. The shop is ran by a sweet little old woman, a Christian woman (this was made known so no one would drop and curse words or smoke cigarettes in her presence) who was very kind.She only had 2 plates of food left so Matt and I shared ours and Kris and Louie shared theirs we also split a vegi burger. We ordered Dave a vegi burger and some fresh roasted nuts, what he asked for. The woman also had fresh soursop juice. It was delicious. After the meal, we took in our plates and I told her how good her chicken was. She put her hands on her hips, looked at me sideways and nodded her head no. She told me it wasn't chicken in the food, it was veggie chunk. Whatever it was, it fooled us and it was delicious! Total for all 5 of us was $1400. We of course tipped her a little extra, it was well worth it.

Louie also befriended a local man who was mentally handicapped. Whenever we'd see him, he'd motion to Louie. He was at the restaurant when we ate but he didn't want any food. He just wanted a juice so Louie got him one and he sat with us for a while. Whenever we'd pass him in the street he'd "elbow high-five" us. He was sweet and it seemed like the community took care of him and watched out for him.

Before heading back to the house we walked to the grocery store in Drapers center. This meant we had to cross the path of the troll again. He saw us coming and popped out of the bush. Dave yelled something at him and he crawled back under the brush. We were in the clear for tonight. We bought some snacks and drinks and walked back to the house to hang out for the night. We settled up with Dave, giving him and extra $2000j for all he'd been doing for us. He went home, I think we wore him out. It was a busy day.

Video of Somerset falls.

PICTURE TIME!!!

Somerset falls

dock area. I love these benches throughout the park

Boat ride. The captain of the boat had the setting on fish-eye. Kinda neat.

The lounge at Somerset where the men hung out

Nice pool at Somerset

In Port Antonio

Zilla's

Traffic Ticket

View from the tire (tyre) shop. You can see the lighthouse in the background.

Walk to Blue Lagoon

View of Monkey Island

beach at Blue Lagoon

Veggie Chunk dinner with smashed potatoes

Our receipt from the grocery store

Re: JeannieB part 4 - jajewel - 02-01-2012

Big ups Jeannie...you took some really nice pics,,,,I'm enjoying the trip...

Re: JeannieB part 4 - Jenny - 02-01-2012

Wow, those pictures & video of Somerset Falls are beautiful! What a great place to spend some time. I bet you did get "man-handled" by that water!

Re: JeannieB part 4 - rhonda - 02-06-2012

never did get to Somerset Falls, although I can see from your photo's I will for sure next time.....did go to Reich Falls.........lovely!!!!

I hope you were able to meet Patrick Norman Price...aka..."PNP" ....at Blue Lagoon
one truly sweet Rasta man who's worked there for 20 some odd years.......

and how about Zilla's kitchen in Portie?
some of the best saltfish I've tasted, prepared in a great vinegar sauce of some kind........oooooooohhhhhh....now ya killin me, missing it there bad , bad, bad!!!

Re: JeannieB part 4 - wandabeinja - 03-01-2012

I'm up to Part 3 Jeannie B!!!

I sure love having these all in one link!!!

Thanks!

Wanda

photos are fabulous!