The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Potentially awkward question... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2011 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Thread: Potentially awkward question... (/showthread.php?tid=10939)

Potentially awkward question... - easton714 - 01-24-2011

Ok.

Here it goes.

Some of you know me well enough to know I mean no ill will. To others, I guess you'll have to trust me.

So it sure seems like a disproportionate amount of female Jamaica regulars either have or have had serious relationships with Jamaican men.

I am not passing judgment. At all. I have a related question:

Does the same thing hold true for men? Do male Jamaica-regulars develop serious relationships with Jamaican women? Do they try to bring the women back home? And marry? Etc.? If not...why not? What is the difference?

If it does work both ways, I cannot recall any examples (or examples made public) on any forums I have frequented.

So, again, this questions is purely curiosity.

Thanks for understanding.

Re: Potentially awkward question... - jeannieb - 01-24-2011

Good question Easton.
I have only seen one man on a Jamaica forum who has asked about marrying his JA girlfriend to bring her to the USA.
Maybe guys just aren't as chatty about relationships as women?

Re: Potentially awkward question... - doctoro - 01-24-2011

easton714 1/24/2011, 8:38 am Ok.

Here it goes.

Some of you know me well enough to know I mean no ill will. To others, I guess you'll have to trust me.

So it sure seems like a disproportionate amount of female Jamaica regulars either have or have had serious relationships with Jamaican men.

I am not passing judgment. At all. I have a related question:

Does the same thing hold true for men? Do male Jamaica-regulars develop serious relationships with Jamaican women? Do they try to bring the women back home? And marry? Etc.? If not...why not? What is the difference?

If it does work both ways, I cannot recall any examples (or examples made public) on any forums I have frequented.

So, again, this questions is purely curiosity.

Thanks for understanding. [quote from easton]
====================================================

There have been a few such foreign male/Jamaican female relationships that I have witnessed from the boards I can name names because they were lived out on public boards, the name of the man who met and later married and is still married to the Jamaican female who sold fruit and wrote the beautiful love story is Scottie, he still frequently posts on N.c and sometimes on J.c. Also there is Geo cox who had long term relationships with a few Jamaican females and was in one for at least three years before he went underground and stopped living his life on the Internet. There is the Mr and Mrs Sea Star, also the big puffed up guy who knows all, over on n.c has publicly posted of his long term relationship with a Jamaican female, a friend who came to Negril 3 years ago for the first time with me is still in the relationship with the woman he met that year in fact he is here now visiting her.

So I guess you are right the ratio for foreign female to foreign male in relationships with Jamaicans is definitely greater.

Before I give my opinion on why. I want to ask this question of the males on this board. Why? Have any of you had relationships with Jamaican females, if not why?

Another observation is there are not a lot of Jamaican female with foreign female tourists friendships either. And I am not talking about just relationships with family members of your SO, but Jamaican women you have met on your own. Why?

I've always been curious about all three of these scenarios. Thanks Easton for asking, because as you say it can be a sensitive subject.

Re: Potentially awkward question... - easton714 - 01-24-2011

Have any of you had relationships with Jamaican females, if not why?

I am probably not the best person to answer but...

My first trip, in 2003, when a group of 25 college students remodeled a school in St. Thomas parish over 5-6 weeks, I wasn't really interested in 'meeting' anyone. We were working most of the time. When we weren't, we just relaxed and hung out with our own group, for the most part (I did 'fancy' one particular member of the group (she had a boyfriend back home and I am not a jerk) and briefly dated another one before the trip...but nothing with anyone, from anywhere, during the trip.

One of my friends 'nearly' did...but, as far as I know, they never did more than hang out and talk.

My first trip back to Jamaica after that I asked my girlfriend (who I started dating not long after returning from the service trip) to marry me in Negril.

And every return trip has been either with her...or with her and our two kids.

Even if I weren't married, I am not really the type to strike up a random relationship during something like a short vacation.

Re: Potentially awkward question... - Yvonne - 01-24-2011

I haven't read all responses because this board is so painfully slow & I don't have loads of time.

I have a Jamaican female friend of many years who married an American & moved to the states along w/ her 4 children (2 are twins). She is a lovely woman who I have known since she was 19. We share the same birthday. She's now in her 30's. For years she was in a very abusive relationship: verfy, very abusive. I'm so happy for her that she found a man who treats her well & loves her for the beautiful person she is.

On the other hand, I know a couple who are divorcing because the husband has a Jamaican girlfriend he refuses to give up. Wife won't put up w/ that so they are splitting. Sad for the wife, for sure.