The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
What are your habits to save for a trip/retiement? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiement? (/showthread.php?tid=47897)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - rastagirl777 - 04-29-2012

"The bank owns my ass....."
That says a mouthful right there.

...and it must be an awful position to be in. I own myself...my actions, my possessions and my soul. And no one can take that from me.

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - rastagirl777 - 04-30-2012

If I've gotten heavy on this thread I apologize.

The truth is - its terrifying to think that I'll end up living in a card board box. I don't believe I will...but sometimes fear gets the better of me.

Apologies if I've offended anyone.

We all do what we need to do in this world to not only survive but LIVE.

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - barbara - 04-30-2012

Whooo... you guys are a Passionate Bunch

I don't save anymore.. and what I had saved is fast dwindling because I choose to Live in the RIGHT NOW.. I am not a big spender anyway.. I spend mostly on travel now, because tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Like someone mentioned.. I have seen several of my GF's leave this job at 55-60 and drop dead, some in their sleep without having made a dent in their Retirement Money.

If I see a nice airfare and hotel accomo in Jamaica, then I am buying it and I will worry about a bill getting paid later. Got rid of the house bout two years ago when my son left, and bought a condo, paid cash for it.. let someone else worry about the lawn and ish like that.. I have done my time.

My biggest expense these days is my MADISON AVA.. I love buying all the latest BABY STUFF for her, who care what it costs..

I have taught my kids how to save EARLY and OFTEN in life so that you will be able to enjoy your mid-life and not have to wait until the Golden Years to enjoy..

I am so low maintenance that it is hard to change that now.. I can't fathom spending money on some things that other people do.. I'd rather spend mine laying on a beach or in some other warm climes.

I am fortunate that when I retire in December, that I will leave this place with 80% of my salary for 38 years of service, and still able to keep my full health benefits without a major increase in cost.. that is MORE than enough to live on.. I am debt free, own my car and condo and thats about all I can vouch for..

I do have a IRA but that is only because I hit a pretty good lottery about 5 years back and dumped it all in there...

I have already told my children don't look for any savings account with my name on it when I go, because there won't be any.. Take this insurance and bury me as cheaply as possible and keep the bulk of the money for yourselves..

I too am a cash and carry... own no plastic except my bank card and I supply the cash for that... If I can't pay cash for it, then I really don't need it. Hate owing anyone and the interest rates these days is so fickle and besides I don't want to know about interest rates and ish like that..

Some people just need to save to feel "SAFE", but my biggest fear is that I won't have enough time to spend the money that I have coming to me more less the money that I have saved "LOL".

Besides, my kids are saving all their money now, so I am good.. I will always have a place to stay and I will never go hungry. LOL

Thats my story and I am sticking to it..

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem *NM* - wit - 04-30-2012

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - suzengrace - 04-30-2012

After spending and living recklessly in my young youth - the older I get =well your priorities shift some,.I;m now into more a yin/yang balance about everything in life..I live for today but have an eye on the future too..
I live below my means -and learned not to have alot of stuff-it starts to own you.
but the things i do need i buy quality-(so it will last). I dont have children-so one less big expense (but would like to adopt someday).I work all the holidays and weekend shifts no one wants so i can earn extra days to travel more..Yep i make sacrifices to do the things that are important/passionate about..but I also plan for the future..
I was brought up to alwasy be independent -dont depend on a man or others to help you-all you really can depend on 100%in this life is you...because of my work schedule i rarely see family/friends-but when I do its quality time..I'd like to retire earlier than most and if i kick it up a notch with saving-investing i can in 10 yrs..
i also dont scrimp on my health-IE i try to buy organic and take time to take care of myself with holistic /alternative medicine-and again taking time to care for me (be it working out-meditating, etc)Having the best health you can have is priceless-I know cuz I 've been living with having an autoimmune disease for 15 yrs now(graves dz to be exact).I'm fortunate to have inherited a home-but to be honest I kind of like renting(to live in a wonderful place I normally couldn't afford-or to be able to get up and go somewhere else)-homes are a big and somewhat constant expense..I dont know if I'd buy my home if I had to-I'd rather take that excess money that would go to mortgage and invest it...Yes, I live today fully but I rest well knowing i have a little set aside ...

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - rastagirl777 - 05-01-2012

"What if you cant/dont pay your property taxes??? I believe after 5 yrs in Calif. the state comes in and takes your place..So it got me thinking-for those who have paid off their house/land (am talking in the US) do you really own your place???"

If you can't or don't pay your property taxes the state will put a lien on your property. They won't evict you or "take it" I don't believe but the lien will be on the title making it pretty impossible to sell. At least I think that's what they do in Sonoma County.

And the answer is a resounding YES of course you own your property. I owe money on my house but I take complete ownership, not for a second do I even think the bank owns it. As I mentioned I have a ton of equity in it. Plus, because of where I live my property taxes are less than $5,000/year.

Ras, I'm still not understanding what you mean by folks who do not "plan" becoming a burden on the system. I don't see how that is true, the US makes no provisions for senior citizens other than social security and medicare, both of which the individual pays into their entire working life. AND...you NEVER get back what you put in.

You do realize that those that planned, many had their retirement funds wiped out with the financial crisis and stock market crashes of 2001 and 2008? If I were one of them I'd be in the "f*ck planning" club. You do realize how many lost their jobs, were unemployed for 2 or more years and now simply do not have the money to "put away" because they need every penny just to survive? You do know how many people lost their homes because of the criminal activity of the mortgage lenders? Not everyone is fortunate to be gainfully employed with a pension waiting for them - fortunate to have worked hard and bought a piece of real estate that by sheer luck turned out to be the best investment they'd ever make - fortunate enough to have had an inheritance that was able to offer them a step up, a savings account a home, whatever. The economic health of the US is still pretty darn bad, unemployment is still really high and the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" is widening to Jamaican proportions! Sadly, the folks who had and lost and at a time in their lives where recouping is impossible - besides some meager check from the government and meager healthcare - they could very well be living in a van down by the river with no other means of societal support.

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - oldtimer - 05-01-2012

I tell my kids one thing...If I go to "Shady Pines" then my land goes to my 18 year old Jamaican girlfriend who loves me for who I am and not my land....hehehe All I have to do is mention Western Union and my oldest grandchildren yell.."no Shady Pines Papa...except the one that calls me Gramps...Weird eh...9 call me Papa and one calls me Gramps....hehehe

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - wit - 05-01-2012

You do realize that those that planned, many had their retirement funds wiped out with the financial crisis and stock market crashes of 2001 and 2008? If I were one of them I'd be in the "f*ck planning" club. You do realize how many lost their jobs, were unemployed for 2 or more years and now simply do not have the money to "put away" because they need every penny just to survive? You do know how many people lost their homes because of the criminal activity of the mortgage lenders? Not everyone is fortunate to be gainfully employed with a pension waiting for them - fortunate to have worked hard and bought a piece of real estate that by sheer luck turned out to be the best investment they'd ever make - fortunate enough to have had an inheritance that was able to offer them a step up, a savings account a home, whatever.

Thank you RG. Maximum RESPECT!

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - rastagirl777 - 05-01-2012

Yes, agreed Ras there's a major difference from those who abuse the system from those who simply cannot realisitically afford to put anything away for a rainy day - for those who lost everything or had nothing to begin with.

Why are healthcare costs so high? Greed. Simply put, greed. Greed on the part of the pharmaceutical companies who keep coming up with a pill for all that ails you AND has anal leakage as a side-effect (but I'd rather be leaking from my anus than shaking my leg uncontrollably - what???) Greed on the part of the insurance companies who REAM docs for exorbitant premiums whether or not they've been a party to a lawsuit. Then there's the good ol' USA way of education - after high school you are ON YOUR OWN. To the tune of (and this is if you go to a CA state university) around $250,000 when all is said and done. Want to become a doctor? Be prepared to shell out another AT LEAST $250K and be in hock for most of your professional life (because interns and residents barely make a living wage). So, that's why healthcare costs are high.

In California you practically have to be living in that cardboard box I speak often about to get Medical (the state insurance). Hardly anybody in this country can afford to get sick and I know with my crapola insurance if I do get sick I'm not going to get the same treatment my Dad got at Hopkins - you see, Mom works for the World Bank. Kickin' health insurance. Close to $1 million dollars in medical costs and they (thank god) did not spend 1 single dime out of pocket. (And Hopkins ended up killing him anyway within three months). My mother now spends her time worrying that she will end up in the cardboard box and its so sad. She has a pension from the bank, social security and investments she made when her mother died and didn't take it with her. I'm on a mission to get my mother to spend on herself and live her life to the fullest instead of sweating out every penny.

So I don't buy that if you are not "prepared" for retirement that you are a burden directly or indirectly on anything. I do not buy that the "slackers" who have lost their retirement or have not put anything away for retirement for legitimate reasons will cost anyone anything. If anyone or thing is a burden on the system it is the 1% who pay the smallest amount of per capita taxes and the oil companies who receive corporate welfare in the form of subsidies.

Wouldn't you rather that the seniors in our society receive just a likkle something extra than BP or Chevron? I would.

OK then! I'm ready - bring it on Republicans!

Re: What are your habits to save for a trip/retiem - Sophie - 05-01-2012

I just have to say this.
I have never felt so insulted or had my feelings hurt so intentionally on ANY message board. I was stupid enough to apologize in another thread, and yet I see this burden to society s#it continue. I won't make the same mistake twice.

Student loans-- Entitlement program.
Disability check--Entitlement program
Earned income tax credit- Entitlement program
G.I. bill- Entitlement program
Veterans benifits- Entitlement program
and the list goes on and on........
There are so many that most people don't even realize that they are a BURDEN ON SOCIETY!

I DO NOT begrudge people getting this money, we are happy our tax dollars go to help people. I can't imagine myself living joyfully when I know a child or anyone is going without. So when we are too old to work we will draw our social security and medicare- our ENTITLEMENT.

How this fun little thread where we were discussing our little luxuries in life of manis, pedis and bags turned so hateful and insulting I'll never know.......