The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Stop The Music - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Stop The Music (/showthread.php?tid=102515)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Stop The Music - Westenders - 06-08-2019

Kylake it may have been them but I would say that’s different
This hotel is boring as hell in the evening, their shows are in an amphitheater , not on the beach , but sound could carry
There were nights when we could hear music carry loudly from couples and the Rius

I’m surprised PV isn’t more affected by the raucous goings on at hedonism more than bloody bay

In terms of different regulations as Royalton is in Hanover, I think your right, they certainly benefited from that fact in the construction period.

But generally in Negril you can be close to loud music at any point
We have stayed at rooms Negril many many times and there is always loud music late at night in that area, even more so now Woodstock has been developed

For a gazillion years we stayed in the west end at private homes or rented a property, and parts of the west end can and was be very noisy with music at night

I think it’s just part of staying in a tourist zone where most of the action is outdoors.

That’s why I think the noise abatement restrictions are stupid, as everything is outdoors because of the location .

In England nothing is outdoors as we don’t get the weather lol

RE: Stop The Music - Aquavit - 06-09-2019

"This is the suspected complainer. Holds a grudge apparently.

CHRISTINE COHEN

Owner, The Spa Retreat Boutique Hotel

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/letters/20141224/negril-noise-driving-away-tourists"

THIS IS INCORRECT INFORMATION

First, the linked article is over 5 years old.

Second: The Spa Retreat is NO WHERE NEAR Roots Bamboo. I'm certain Ms. Cohen is NOT the one calling in complaints for Roots Bamboo, why would she? Their music on the beach has NOTHING to do with her hotel on the West End. I know of no issues between Ms. Cohen and the Plummers, much less any "grudge" being held.

While I might not agree with the sentiments in her letter we must be careful about what we spread as far as information for fairness sake. She is in dispute with some of her neighbors, that is fact. But she alone is not the reason these noise complaints and issues with live music in Negril.

The fact is, the years of non-enforcement of noise abatement laws has made it very difficult to start enforcing them NOW. Hard to stuff the Genie back in the bottle. That and Loud music from 20 years ago is not NEARLY as loud as it is now.

As far as the police being "selective" about who they "pick on", the Royalton is tucked away at Bloody Bay amongst other large All Inclusive properties. Its a huge property so any live music "entertainment" they have, that does end early *might* be heard FAINTLY at other properties. When the Royalton was Grand Lido/Breezes I went to several live music performances there....at one point the stage faced north so you could faintly hear the music up towards the RIU - eventually they turned the stage around to face south so the music actually "bled" into the resort itself as opposed to up the beach towards their neighbors.

I don't believe there is any grand conspiracy to knock out the smaller businesses of Negril. The Spa Retreat is not exactly the internationally owned RIU or even the Jamaican owned Sandals.

Tourists can do very little to "help" in this situation - especially going on Facebook to simply rant and rave about how "wrong" they consider a situation to be. What tourists can do is spend their money in accordance with their beliefs and if so inclined write letters to the Minister of Tourism (Dr. Wyckem (sp) McNeil), the Negril Chamber of Commerce and the Jamaican Tourism Bureau.

It helps NONE of the people involved to simply spread rumors based on what one has "heard" through the Grapevine, Facebook or the guy that sells jerk chicken on the street.

RE: Stop The Music - Westenders - 06-09-2019

That’s a very rob.com response

RE: Stop The Music - Firemon - 06-09-2019

Hi Aquavit,

Here's a Special Song just for YOU!

Additionally, you'd have to be daft not to detect I was aware of the age of the letter to the editor.  

It was being cited, along with a slew of other comments and allegations made by dozens of other interested
individuals, both tourists and Jamaicans, as simply one of the fingers-point-in-her-direction and rather than 
digest/summarize all their unverifiable remarks I simply noted the origination document given its obvious authenticity.   

I made no effort to play detective like you. 

RE: Stop The Music - Aquavit - 06-09-2019

I'm not playing detective. All I had to do was look at the link to know it was from years ago. I remember when it was written and the endless conversations about it (actual conversations, not behind a screen conversation) and the anger it caused in that neighborhood.

This bullshit about this woman being "all-powerful" enough to try to shut down beach venues is just that - bullshit. There is an old video going around that makes that allegation along with some other better information from the actual people involved.

I know enough to keep my mouth shut and not repeat obvious bullshit....sadly many do not. If Denise knows for sure that it was Christine Cohen calling in noise complaints all the way from Spa Retreat I'd like to hear that from her mouth but the allegation just doesn't make sense. People give this woman much more power than she actually has.

As far as my response being "Rob-Like"....so what? Unlike Rob I am not defending anyone needlessly. I'm just speaking truth to nonsense. Doesn't anyone else see how ridiculous it is to accuse this woman of trying to shut down Roots Bamboo? I mean really - what's in it for her?

Its tourists' hysteria that in the end hurts EVERYONE involved even the people you think you are helping. Ask those people what you can do that will ACTUALLY help. Letters, petitions, money for lawyers or advocates....but trust me, screaming online to the air does absolutely nothing except harm.

RE: Stop The Music - Firemon - 06-09-2019

This was your President-Trump-like tweet: "THIS IS INCORRECT INFORMATION."   And yet it's true.   Co-opting Trump's Fake News tactic only makes you look like Sara Huckabee Sanders.    

RE: Stop The Music - Westenders - 06-10-2019

Aquavit There is no screaming

No hysteria

And this is your truth not the truth, and your conclusion it is nonsense, is your own conclusion

I can’t speak for the situation with roots bamboo, now or then

But spa retreat do try their best to clear their neighbourhood, I know that fact

There is talk always but from local business affected by her meddling

We also had a friend who passed who worked on the construction in a supervisory role who shared some interesting FACTS, but he’s not here now so won’t repeat on here

Just because you haven’t heard something dosent make it not true,

I often find it interesting how you apparently know every hotel owner, business owner and rumour in Negril,
We all hear stuff, not just you from many sources

And I have not seen any evidence of where you stand up from your keyboard to be counted as you are putting to others, not even on matters that you have strong opinions on..

Just a lot of pot calling the kettle black

If you don’t see the decline in Negril then I would question how often you venture from the top of the hill, as it’s obvious visually, let alone the policies that are proving detrimental

Loud music is loud music, and the music was loud twenty years ago, what are you meaning?
As I’ve said before, the music issue is a problem for tourists maybe like yourself who started going to Negril years ago to party and get high, then age has changed your tolerance to others now doing the same thing. So sad

Why is the noise abatement not enforced in country as vehemently, ?

The west end used to be a vibrant , eclectic place, it’s now just looking ramshackle

So why would the parish council allow that in a major tourist zone that attracts investment has to be a question that is asked ?

RE: Stop The Music - CardBoardBox - 06-10-2019

Aquavit, this thread is a downward spiral. When the "you" word is used without the understanding of the hurt and damage it can cause, it will not end well.

Never has.

RE: Stop The Music - Firemon - 06-17-2019

Check out this nonsense.  

[attachment=2891]

RE: Stop The Music - oldtimer - 06-17-2019

To end this discussion with the correct answer would be to ask Tayon . He is front row centre and should/could be the source of knowledge on this subject .