The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=48828)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 *PIC* - brasi - 05-17-2012

Brasi Trip Report April 2012
#2 The Blessings of Good Friends

As my last installment indicated, I was a soup sandwich at 8 AM on Tuesday April 24, 2012. I felt my legs wobble as I crossed Norman Manley Boulevard near my hotel, heading to get on the bus, which was parked and waiting for me. The bag that I had packed with a towel, extra shorts and a shirt, (and some deli meat for subs) was banging against my back. The partial six pack of Red Stripe, carried loosely in my left hand, clanked, as I climbed the stairs to board.

“Helur everererone,” I slurred. Classy, Alex.

As I got on the bus it was apparent---by the looks I got and every time I spoke---that my inebriated condition was quite evident. I’d been partying most of the night and it showed. I am sure I smelled like alcohol despite a 20-minute hot shower. Marley and Ninja had organized this trip with Chicken and his Magic Bus and here I was being a clown. Suck it up, guy. Get a grip.

At these types of times…when my behavior, political affiliation, music choices, clothing, or other activities start to seem ‘under the scrutiny’ of others, I withdraw a bit, mostly because I’d rather bite my tongue than argue over things that are no else’s business. I don’t defend myself, or try to be someone I am not. I don’t fight or get in confrontations that don’t matter. On this day, I was a drunk-ass tourist at 8 am in the morning, slurring my words, and acting like a shy teenager. I just saw how people looked at me when I talked and figured I’d best shut up ‘til I sobered up.

But the concern people had for me that day—and I was pretty f-d up, for REAL---seemed genuine…I felt that…even though I am sure I was being picked on a little, I knew I deserved it. In the end…after a dip in YS Falls…I met amazing friends for an amazing trip I will never forget. By noon or so I had “recovered.” By 7 pm, I’d been to the Pelican Bar where, along with my pals M and S, I had left a MacLeod (our Scottish clan) tartan there for other Scots to see. I’d had a delicious meal, and some great conversations with folks from around the world. I am glad I sucked it up. I only wish I was sober to begin with LOL.

Before I left the hotel, Lisa had given me a hug and wished me luck. She had a few things to do during the day to get ready for some things we had planned for Wednesday, but was also a bit concerned about hanging out with a bunch of white tourists all day. I assured her that this group would welcome her…but after some things that had happen earlier in the week…she decided to get her hair and nails done and chill out at the “Beach Place.”

As she was hanging back…I was on the bus, waiting to get to Negril and see her hair she kept texting me about…and talk to her about my day. Lisa, as you see...is gorgeous, and TRUST me sooo much cooler than she is pretty.

Sorry but I can’t show you a clear shot of her face here…because as most of you know relationships between farrin and Jamaicans are always suspect. But I’m asking you: please don’t be so quick to judge. And I’m telling you that Lisa and I have a pretty cool relationship. Ultimately, you will believe what you want and forgive me...but I don’t give a f*ck. (: We are grown.

Soon, I will report to you about a serious issue, an issue of intolerance that is debated time and time again in these forums. I will tell you why in my experience racism is alive and well in Negril. And I will tell you why I think this trip (April 2012) really assisted in helping me see where my life is headed after the tragic loss of my fiancé/gf last June.

Next up:
Knock Knock: "Your Guest Has to Leave"

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - rastagirl777 - 05-17-2012

Love her eye-lashes. I see where the next one is going. Sigh. Too many arseholes in the world, huh?

Waiting on next installment.

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - gerryg123 - 05-17-2012

good stuff, Brasi ....

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - brasi - 05-17-2012

Macy:
Too funny! She is amazingly awesome. Just friends though...mostly. (: I have read some of your posts here. Cool stuff.

My dream is to do life like Doctoro and lots of you 'expat' long-term folks. I read Rastagal777's blog with complete jealousy. I know it's not a big long vacation in Ja, btw. I want to delve right into ALL of Jamaica. I want to take the leap. Maybe meet a nice lady, make a life there, work, scrounge, whatever it takes. In the early 1990's, I gave up my dream job working the Morning Drive slot at a radio station to have kids and get married. It was based out of a town that is home to a huge ski resort. Most of the people in that lifestyle--ski, drink, party, work, rinse, repeat-- suffered to live it by working three jobs, hustling for extra cash, and/or shopping at thrift shops...eating Ramen...selling weed...playing in bands...whatever worked. I see some of the same vibe in Negril. "Paradise...with a price." Good analogy.

What did I get for being responsible? My marriage ended horribly. I have been a fulltime single Dad for almost six years and THAT is a pleasure but they are getting ready to leave the nest.

The last peice of evidence I needed to prove I need to do what makes ME happy soon...I met a great girl...we were gonna get married this past January in Jamaica... and she passed away of an accidental OD (prescription meds and alcohol) in June. Shocking and the pain is still with me.

I am simplifying my story but I know I have learned one thing: Life is too short to die here in my cubicle laying out publications/constructing marketing campaigns that in 100 years no one will care about.

I will do anything to get there for as long as I can each year and maybe be there for good. Starting in 2014 I am taking LONGER trips...building up to that.

(: Thanks for the opportunity for a lunchtime rant.

Yes. June 21, 2011.

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - suzengrace - 05-17-2012

A big Hug Brasi .......I lost my brother in April of last year to suicide-so unexpected..and your pain may be different but i know how fresh and real it is..Jam.helps me alot with some of the healing-by reminding me i Need to LIVE and be fully alive in the moment...

I'm glad you found this board and contribute (mih mih too) I like you writing style and attitude...

Blessings

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - wit - 05-17-2012

welcome Brasi....enjoyed your report Smile

Life is too short
funny how death teaches us that no? I too have had many deaths far to soon and this is exactly why I live the way I choose. It's great to think about tomorrow, the future etc but life has a funny way of getting off that big plan you had.

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - Markospoon - 05-17-2012

Hi Brasi,

Welcome to the bestest (for the rest of us) board in town.

Wendy:
'Sonya' is a fabricated name. I think 'Sonya' is from Mandeville too but not sure.

Tammy:
My previous trip reports are on another board. Cool to link here? Np if not.

Rastagal777:
Belmont was cool...btw I took your advice and left the scooter out of it...but the seas were rough so I didn't spend much time on the beach...sand was whipping...next solo reach...April 2013...Treasure Beach!

Markospoon:
Thanks man. I hope to know halfg of what you do someday.

All:
Thanks for reading. Some pretty crazy stuff coming up in this report. PROMISE.

Re: Brasi Trip Report April 2012 - Yamangurl - 05-17-2012

Brasi, glad you're here.

I am curious, what made you post your report here-was it the fact that you can freely express yourself? Just curious.
Your writing style rocks.