The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! (/showthread.php?tid=100350)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - Coconut - 06-25-2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RW!    I hope you are having a wonderful day! ps - this song will be stuck in your head for days!!

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - rastagirl777 - 06-25-2014

Happy birthday lady!  Hope its a great day for you!

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - goldilocks - 06-25-2014

Happy Birthday Dear Rootswoman!

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - Westenders - 06-25-2014

Happy happy birthday miss rootswoman x

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - Sundowner - 06-25-2014

Happy Birthday, Rootswoman - hope you are doing something extra special today!!

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - rootswoman - 06-25-2014

Why Thank you so very much guys!
Sophie - I do indeed love vintage everything and I love that card, Thank you!

WARNING - I got carried away telling the story of last night - if anyone cares enough to read a book - here you go!

My Birthday was actually yesterday

Dread Neck is great at surprises.    I came in from Yoga class as he was going out the door to work and he said “Ill try to get out early, maybe we can go up to Morgys” for happy hour. (Now, here is where I admit I was somewhat disappointed.  I knew that Taurus Riley and Morgan Heritage were playing in Portland last night.  I had sent him the flyer weeks before – hoping he would “get the hint”  )  Morgy’s is our local “go to bar”  where Dread played music last summer.  They have fairly good food and good prices – especially “happy hour” We go there when we don’t feel like cooking – its fine , its in walking distance, but nothing special.  It’s not really where I pictured having my birthday dinner, but it would still be fun.

I did some house work, mailed off my ebay stuff, made some coffee and sat down to check email, facebook and here of course. 

I started reading all my lovely birthday greetings on facebook – I decided to relish in them and answer every one.  It felt great to spend that time thinking about each person and rubbing it all in.  I have moved over 30 times in my life and have left friends and family behind, all over the world. It feels so good to have contact from so many of them now, thanks to facebook. 

As I was going through the greetings I saw a picture of the Taurus Riley – Morgan Heritage flyer on my wall with a message from Dread Neck saying something about having two “ VIP ” seats.  He had put it on facebook while I was at yoga.  What a cute surprise that was!

He came home much earlier than he said he was coming and snuck into the bedroom where I was getting dressed with two beautiful glasses of chilled sparkling wine.  I am grinning ear to ear, we toast, I take a sip, and have to refrain from spitting it out all over the carpet.  It was “Asti Spumanti”   A wine I detest!   I tried to fake that it was good until I saw him crinkle up his face – he hates it as much as I do – so sickly sweet!  The dear man was trying to choose from what was cold. He knew we were going to have to leave half a bottle behind so he didn’t want to splurge for anything too good, so deciding between two, he chose the one with the biggest markdown. His theory was that since the original cost was higher it must be better than the Korbel.
We had a good laugh and he certainly gets an A for effort! I love Korbel.   

The theater is located in a very hip section of Portland.  We have been to that neighborhood once before – there are lots of restaurants, bars boutiques and head shops.  

Portland is unlike any place I have ever been.  It is all about good food, craft beer, local wine, music, art, and supporting local business.  It is so refreshing to walk down a street seeing store front after store front of small independent businesses.  In any other city you would wonder how the heck they survive – but they somehow do in Portland.  I noticed both times Ive been in that area that the only empty parking spaces are in front of the Seven Eleven.    In Maine, the Seven Eleven and maybe a Subway would be the only place open and the parking lot would be packed.   There were plenty of people in and out of the shops, they just weren’t at the Seven Eleven.

We went in town early to eat before the show. We pulled up to the “theater” and tried to figure out where our “ VIP ” parking was and no one knew what we were talking about. Oh well, we are in “Keeping it Weird” Portland going to a Reggae show, these things must be taken in stride.  We drove across the street, found a nice residential area, parked the car and headed to dinner.

Being my Birthday I was craving a taste of home so we went to a fish restaurant that we have tried before.  It is a cool, casual little place with a nice outdoor garden patio where we sat under night blooming jasmine and honeysuckle vines.  It smelled like heaven. 

This place, being Portland cool and hip, uses brown rice flower and special bran oil to fry their food.  Their oil is filtered twice a day and the bran oil can withstand a higher heat.   Whatever they do, they have figured out how to make healthy, grease-free ,fried food and it tastes amazing. It so much better then all that batter and the seafood is perfectly steamed inside – the brown rice flour crisps up beautifully.

I had Clam Strips which were to die for.  Clam strips brought me back to my childhood for a bit– I was in heaven!  Dread had Fish Tacos – which he liked very much.  Oh and Dread got me a little split of some nice dry sparkling wine!  He had a local draft IPA which are always good (if you like hops)

We went to the ‘Theater” which was supposed to open at 8pm.  We got there about 8:20 and they said we were too early – another 20 minutes.  OK then – this is a Reggae show.  So we go back to the car to kill a little time and had a little clam bake to get into the spirit of things.

Back at the venue we get our wrist bands and walk into a big empty room with a stage.  Some sort of music was pounding over horrible sounding speakers with the bass on full blast. It was too loud to distinguish who or what was playing.   I sucked it up and swore at myself for not sneaking a pair of earplugs into my pocket.  I am what they call “a highly sensitive person” and loud is not something ive ever done well with.  I have to really love the song – I mean REALLY LOVE IT to tolerate load volume

There were service bars, and very small number of occupied stools here and there.  There were not many people Over in the corner and down a few stairs was the “ VIP ” area.

There was one remaining table where you could see the stage through piled equipment and whatever that stuff all was. There weren’t many people there.  We were on the side of the band very close to a huge speaker.  We had a great obstructed side view of the band – we were right next to them!  I kept feeling as if I was on an episode of Portlandia.  Dread did a real good job, if he didn’t buy the VIP tickets we would have been standing all night.

And what a LONG night it was!  We read the show was 8-12.  We soon learned from talking to people that it was actually ending at 2PM!  All of a sudden we were back in Negril waiting for a darn show to start!  It would be hours before Morgan Heritage played.

We sat through an awful local wannabe reggae band – my view was of the keyboard player, a tall emaciated white dude with pants sagging down past his butt.  Super gross!

Taurus Riley finally came on – and he was great.  (I snuck balled up bar napkin in my ears so I could actually hear the music) 

After Taurus, Morgan Heritage set up and then we had to sit through some guy that they bring on tour who wouldn’t make it on his own.  Dread leaned over and said “in least they don’t keep pulling back the music” Thank you RastafarI!

Morgan Heritage came on at about 1:15.  They were fantastic and I had a much better view of the woman keyboard player this time.

The show ended just before two.  Of course I had to stop in the restroom – I am getting too old for restrooms at 2am.  Ill say no more.

We live out in the suburbs so we had to drive home .Luckily we are grown ups now so we had been drinking water for the last few hours. It was a really late night!

Poor old Dread had to work this morning.  I skipped swim class and slept in!

Remember how I referred to Portlandia – well this is the skit that came to mind.

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - rootswoman - 06-25-2014

[attachment=862] 

Dreadneck had Fish Tacos and those are my clam strips.  

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - booger - 06-25-2014

Happy belated Lady. Appreciate the vibe you bring to this board and could only hope your day was amazing......

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - Bruce - 06-26-2014

A belated Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!

RE: Happy Birthday Rootswoman!!! - Schuttzie - 06-26-2014

Oh, I'm so late in this but Happy Birthday, dear lady!  Sounds like you and Dread and a wonderful time and just went with the flow.  And I'm with Booger in that you bring a wonderful spirit to our group here...just lovely!