Jamericans

Full Version: Why Jamaica?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

The "first time" topic got me thinking...why Jamaica? Why go back?

Specifically Bren's post about hesitating to go to Porty alone inspired me to write this...then I decided it really wasn't a response to her post, more of a musing on why I personally love to go to Jamaica.

So...

I first went to Porty with my husband, but returned there solo and stayed at a hotel I'd never been to, in an area of Porty I didn't at all know.

And it was interesting.

I had to stretch my comfort level. I had to introduce myself to strangers. I had to walk around town on my own. I sometimes sat on my porch, looking at the loveliest bay view, and felt a bit lonely. One or two nights I went to bed very early because there wasn't anything easy to do and I didn't know anyone.

But I had a really good time.

I was at times uncomfortable. It's how I grow, I feel, and perhaps the most important thing I take home from Jamaican vacations now, is a change in ME.

I now find I must go beyond what I am comfortable with in order to feel like I really got something out of my trip, and for me that means some time traveling alone, to places I do not know. Taking a chance meeting strangers, getting lost, doing something a little scary like driving myself.

And such neat things happen when I take those risks.

Those nights I went to bed early I was able to get up really early and run....run, me, a brand new runner at the time, running in Jamaica! The time I walked around Porty solo I met a lady who showed me around, and through her I met a cool guy with a boat who later took me to Navy Island. The next day a couple arrived at my hotel and they'd never been to JA before. I took them to town and showed them around and introduced them to the boat guy Smile

I find my most memorable times in Jamaica are not the nice easy pleasant times, they are the ones I was a bit scared of, and the ones I faced anyway because i wanted to see something or was curious about a place...and generally, I more than enjoyed myself during them.

But even with some lonely or sad time, I got to face myself and my fears and make the best of things...and that is a skill (I guess I'd call it a skill) that I carry with me all the time, at home.

I love my time in Jamaica but most of all I love how I grow there.

So...a lot of people think what we love about JA is beaches, warm weather, ganja, a man/woman...but is that really it? So many places have those things...is there anything in particular that YOU love about this country?

I have nothing so deep or beautiful but my first thought was WHY NOT?

There is a fellow from Ochi that has been coming up with the work program as a bartender for 10 plus years. He is a breath of fresh air, a hard worker and just plain a joy to be around. Whether you order a water, beer or a fancy time taking blender drink his response is "why not".

So my reply is of coarse WHY NOT!

((O)) I like that we are both O. I have followed you on your many adventures, first as a couple and next as a solo traveler, I have admired your courage in not letting being alone stop you from getting out and having adventures that most as a group would not have the nerve to do.

Watching you learn your way around the island solo and the many adventures you have shared always rings in my ear when I think of trying new things. Not many females have that type of spirit. I've watched you go from that shy seeming person into the person you are today, and I have been inspired. I continue to learn from the things you share, so I would now like to say thank you, for showing us solo travelers how it's done.

Now I have to find the journal, that I wrote about my own what and why Jamaica.

suzen grace

I'm totally with you Liz....Love new places, faces, challenges-with someone or by myself (somethime prefer solo)...

I really get what your saying and feel the same way..

Now I just got to get out there and learn to drive and will have total freedom....

Blessings

Killing the quote formatting.

WHY JAMAICA?

" Hi, my name is Romae and I am a Jamaicaholic!

Jamaica is my calm in the midst of a storm. I know that probably seems like a oxymoron to some. But for me, I can regroup, refocus, relax, refuel, redirect, exhale, unwind, find clarity on my journey in life.

Thank God for the board, it helps to feed my addiction between trips and it has been quite a while since I have breathe in the smells, sights and sounds that makes my heart flutter. Love that there are people (Jamericans) that share and understand alot of my feelings for Jamaica.

See how my love of Jamaica starts me to ramble? LOL!

It took a couple posts for me to realize that this was a old thread. I agree that it is a great thread, so great that I felt compelled to post.

Thanks to the OP and to Doctoro for bumping it up!!!

powerful post Cher...thanks for sharing Smile

Its my Alice in Wonderland moment...I fall down the rabbit hole the minute the plane touches down on the island..From there all my senses and feelings come alive-I see, hear, smell, touch and feel things I dont in the states..Sometime its awe-inspiring, other times it can be frightening or heart-wrenching-and many times it just doesnt make any sense, no matter how i try to wrap my head around it-just a non-stop variety of feelings...Not to mention all the people I run into that often remind me of characters...the mad hatter, the rabbit, the evil queen, the lists goes on..All of it amusing .....
And then the beauty of the island, the music, the rain, the patois voices, the easy and fluid way people move/dance, the food,...I could go on and on..

I agree with Jitters-being out in the country - how it sometimes can be a little lonely..I understand exactly where shes coming from..

And Cher, love your reply as well.....

Enjoying everyones contribution...

Funny, but my "why Jamaica" ties in perfectly with this recent discussion - my friends. Over the years I've made many - expats, Jamaicans, "long termers" - those were the folks that inspired and encouraged me to make my long term stays....so now when I go its to see "family" and be with my community.

Everyone's community is different and everyone is drawn to different people for a variety of reasons. The expat community in Negril is quite small. I don't necessarily like or hang out with all of them. I don't relate or have anything in common with all of them. But my community is tight and like-minded on many things. We share more than just a love for a location.

In recent years I've got a bug in my butt to explore more of the island. Never really used to...but we venture out of town quite regularly now. My trip to the North Coast this winter was a huge inspiration to do more, more and more of that type of thing. My home base will always be Negril though. That's my "other" soft spot.

Count another hug from me, Dr.O. I could relate exactly to what you were saying and would be honoured to meet you one day.

Pages: 1 2