Jamericans

Full Version: Portland day 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<P>When I quit writing last night I mentioned we were going to find the source of the loud music. It was a small bar right on the corner of the street our hotel sits on. We walked in, ordered a couple beers and had a seat. There was an older couple sitting at the bar, and one other guy sitting in an old velvet easy chair. He was probably in his 50's and kind of singing along with the music. It seemed we really didn't fit in but I was determined to sit a while and listen to the music. Well 5 minutes later Mr easy chair gets up and walks up to me. He was there to point out our hotel key had fallen out of my pocket (he just picked up the key and said this fell from your pocket). That was all I needed. We started talking and next thing the 3 of us are sharing a spot, wife and Andy in the 2 easy chairs, me on a stool. We started a good conversation and when his drink was empty, I offered to by him one, he never asked. I learned Andy was a semi regular at this bar, which was owned by the bartender, Tony. Andy drank something I had never heard of, rum mixed with milk and a bit of water. He said it was very smooth. We sat with him for well over an hour. We learned he lived his entire life around PA. He won a scholarship that entitled him to go to high school, and worked for 22 years as a night auditor until he was told he was retiring. He worked at various hotels after that, I don't think he works anymore. I think his favorite hobby now is betting on horse racing, he told us he was going somewhere tomorrow to watch the races and do some betting. It was easily our best bar experience so far, even Tony the owner was extra friendly to us on the way out. I hope our next time there he remembers us.<BR>Thursday morning was the same routine. Up at 8 and downstairs for breakfast. We decided to go for a walk downtown, it was pretty dead, nothing like Christmas eve. Most places were closed for Boxing day so really nothing to see. So it was decided lets go back to the beach and relax. It was pretty cloudy but we hoped for the best. Back to the hotel, quick stop at the store for supplies and away we went. We decided to go back to Frenchmans cove. It was busier than our first time there but what I really noticed is how much calmer it was, not flat was just small waves coming in, my swim toys were calling me. We got a couple loungers and set up for the day. The sun was shining hard and except for a very quick shower, the clouds mostly stayed away. I spent a good hour snorkeling along the cliffs beyond the roped off area, saw quite a few small fish but with the fresh water river feeding into the cove the water is a bit brackish, so the clarity isn't very good.<BR>I really like this beach, the workers there are very good, and there are no hassles whatsoever. We will be back, but we still need to get to Reach Falls, Winnifred beach, Long beach, rio grande rafting etc. I forgot to mention our new friend Andy (who we ran into this morning in Port Antonio while he was on his way to watch the races) told us to see a King Saba at the blue lagoon. He told us they are lifelong friends and to make sure we ask for him and tell him we are friends of Andys. I guess we will see how that turns out. We might go there tomorrow if its nice out.<BR>On the way home we stopped in at Woody's Low bridge restaurant. Had a really good burger and fries. Burger was small but had lots of layers and tasted great. When we left there was a guy that you could see had some mental challenges sitting right next to the drivers door of our car. He had a knife in his hand, chipping away at a small tree branch. He never said a word, perhaps he can't talk, but he put his hand out and kept it there till we drove away. I kind of felt bad but I really don't hand out money to anyone. If we go back there and he's around I will probably give him at least a good meals worth of money.<BR>We were up on our rooftop lounge for a bit until once again the rain chased us down. Right now its pouring (wife said gushing). If it slows down we are going to go for a couple beers at our new bar, and go see if a certain cook stand is open. Theres a guy that has a couple huge pots of soup on the go but our timing hasn't worked out yet. I love soup in Jamaica. Thanks for reading, I hope everyone (or most) enjoy it. And by the way, I am still looking for advice on how to arrange the rio grande raft trip.<BR>
<P>Very much enjoying the reports.<P>Please keep them coming.
<P>These " adventures " are what vaca is all about. You guys are nailing it with open eyes and heart . The Andy's in the world are make it go around. No hassel's GREAT EH !!!!<BR>Thank you for the "report's "
<P>Again Tim, I appreciate you taking the time to post your PA reports. Sounds like you are getting in the groove feeling the place more now.
<P>Ohliz- we actually walked thru Titchfield today, did lots of walking today. I sent Ivanhoe's an email regarding the rafting - thanks.<P>JeannieB- I remember reading your story about that guy, I wonder if it was him? I think he might have been with another guy, also a little "off".<P>Last night ended with us going back to the same nearby bar as the previous night. Our new buddy Andy was there and we shared a table. We had another good conversation, it was interesting hearing about him growing up in PA. We learned he was actually 64 years old, has 4 kids and 10 grandchildren. The music was too loud to understand everything but it was enjoyable just the same. Tony the bar owner remembered us and no doubt we received full attention when it was time for refills. Eventually we left and walked the couple blocks down to the busy section along the shore where fisherman gather and many locals hang out. The guy at the small cookshop was very friendly and happy to sell us food. We each had a very large takeout container with chicken, rice and peas, topped with lettuce, tomato slices and a few spoonfuls of "gravy". Price was 300J each, dirt cheap. It was very good and for sure will be a regular stop in the coming week.
<P>You guys are " feeling it " . GOOD WORK !!!!!!!!!!
<P>Maybe I missed it but can I ask what hotel you are staying at, Tim?
<P>I've been crazy busy lately-but taking the time to read your reports….Loving them..<BR>continue on..<P>ps. how you feel about drying in Jam ??
<P>susan - drying? If you meant driving it hasn't been bad at all. Biggest adjustment for me is having the signal and light switches on the opposite sides of the wheel.
<P>Shuttzie - we are staying at Tim Bamboo. Hard to compare it to anywhere I am familiar with in Negril. Its nothing fancy and the last couple days we have developed a very slow drip from the ceiling from the constant rain, but the location isn't bad, service is good, and they have a private parking area. I had read reports of no hot water but it hasn't been an issue yet. AC works real good, wife isn't happy about that.<BR>Breakfast is included, you order off the menu the day before. Usually it comes with a small coffee pot but today they set up in the banquet room and had a large urn of coffee. We have the same server every morning and once she learned we prefer the sweetened condensed milk over powder, it is always at our table. We make sure to tip her well.