Jamericans

Full Version: Port Antonio questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

So next year the hubby and I are really hoping to take my family to Jamaica (total of 6 of us). I am looking into going to Port Antonio instead of Negril. I have never been to anyplace other than Mobay,Ochi, and Negril, so this is something entirely new and know NOTHING about except it looks and sounds wonderful. Also looked into Treasure Beach but I think that TB may be a little bit too laid back for the kids (28, 24, 22, 18).

Ok..so I did some research and found a couple of properties I think we can afford that seem pretty nice. Ivanhoe's in Tichfield Hill is one and the other is Mikuzi in Fairy Hill. Both properties have really good reviews. We are looking for a little bit of nightlife (not like the Jungle) but a place with some people and drinks and good vibz for nighttime. We are happy to walk around exploring, going to the beach, etc during the day.
Does anyone known anything about either property and the areas in terms of safety and easy access to walking places etc?

I see the prices for airport transportation is so not cheap tho I only looked on Clives. That unfortunately is another consideration for us and hope it isn't a deciding factor Sad

I hope the responses pour in for you as I am very interested in this area as well. We are skipping Negril next time and want to see what else Jamaica has to offer.

cinni....that's my dream trip (not yet happening) as well. I really want to do Port Antonio before I"m done with Jam. The issue IS the transportation. Have you considered flying into Kingston instead? Our plan is to rent a car. If not it's just too expensive and things aren't all within walking distance there like Reach Falls. Looking forward to the answers here to your question Smile

~ cinnni ~ wrote:

'So next year the hubby and I are really hoping to take my family to Jamaica (total of 6 of us). I am looking into going to Port Antonio instead of Negril. I have never been to anyplace other than Mobay,Ochi, and Negril, so this is something entirely new and know NOTHING about except it looks and sounds wonderful. Also looked into Treasure Beach but I think that TB may be a little bit too laid back for the kids (28, 24, 22, 18).

Ok..so I did some research and found a couple of properties I think we can afford that seem pretty nice. Ivanhoe's in Tichfield Hill is one and the other is Mikuzi in Fairy Hill. Both properties have really good reviews. We are looking for a little bit of nightlife (not like the Jungle) but a place with some people and drinks and good vibz for nighttime. We are happy to walk around exploring, going to the beach, etc during the day.
Does anyone known anything about either property and the areas in terms of safety and easy access to walking places etc?

I see the prices for airport transportation is so not cheap tho I only looked on Clives. That unfortunately is another consideration for us and hope it isn't a deciding factor Sad '

hey cinni
i'm going to be brutally honest with you . . . mikuzi is sooo small, the little cottages are tiny, you will be able to hear everything said in the next room, the yard is good but small, you can walk to winifred from there, it's on the direct path . . . they are wayyy over priced for what you get . . . you would have to travel to all the night life, nothing within walking distance. . . .

ivanhoes is a better choice, you can walk down to town safely and take in the action. there is lots of that there. . . . the views from ivanhoes is absolutely stunning . . . your grown kids would probably like the roof top and some of the more local fare as far as night life goes. everthing is right there in the square.

transportation to porty is going to kill you. the option is to rent a car yourself and drive, great, great road.

if you are paying 250us just one way to get there, might as well go to negril . . . that is the drawback for porty.

overall, negril or ochi would be better for your grown kids as far as partying goes.
porty is pretty laid back but you are right, not as laid back as treasure beach.

porty is by far, my favorite part of jamaica. a real different vibe from ochi or negril. no hustle at all. public transport is easy, once you reach there. hope any of the above helps.

I love,love PA...only stayed at Ivanhoes and would stay there again...rooms a little small but those views from the verandas.....and you can walk down the hill to the small town of PA ...lots of cool nite life(blows aways Negril) and excellent food stand open til when the sun comes up near downtown waterfront..If some can drive then by all means thats the way to go...PA area is spread out and you'll want to check out all the cool beaches strung along the way...I personally loved Boston bay beach-If you can make out to Reach falls thats a must do...
I would go more often but just the getting there is the problem..someday I 'll take the plunge and get behind the wheel...But yeah, you can do route taxi in that area-but really best way to go is to drive or get there and have a reg. taxi driver take you around...The cool thing also....You can see the sunset in Negril
but in PA (you go to the right location-ask around) you get to see the Sunrise on the horizon..
OK..I try to post some pics for you...

The last pics of the white villa is Trident castle..It was closed down when I was there (last July) Last time I checked it was renting out for around$27,000-$52,000 a week in high season..Lots of bigwigs and celebrities stayed there (ie tom cruise when making movie Cocktail in PA) Paid the groundskeeper a few J's to let us explore..He worked there for many years and had some fab. stories to tell...

Love PA..very different than Negril. I stayed next door to Ivanhoe's in a little place called Ocean Crest Guest House.
Here is the view from the balcony...

2nd try...

This is the view of Ivanhoe's back of house area from Ocean Crest next door

The neighborhood street where OCGH and Ivanhoe's are located. By the way, across the street is the fence of a JDF compound (not shown).

Ugh! This picture posting thing is tryin my last dayum nerve!

Pages: 1 2 3