Jamericans

Full Version: William and his dogs.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

A while back I remember seeing a post on one of these message boards (don't remember whcih one and I take a look at many of them) there was a thread about William, the blind man that walks up and down the beach followed by several dogs. He sings, opens his hand for people to tip if they feel the need to do so and moves up and down the beach. I'm sure many of you have seen him.

The thread (I believe) was questioning whether he was really blind. I want to confirm the fact that he is truly blind and is in need.

I drove into negril today to do some errands and on the way in I saw someone lying on the side of the road between Riu and Sunset at the Palms. There is also a "madman" that hangs out not far from there near the petcom so I thought it was him. On my way back this evening (many, many hours later) he was still lying there, then I saw the dogs and knew immediately it was William. He was lying almost in the street, he had been sleeping in the grass and had rolled onto the shoulder of the road. I pulled over, woke him up and asked him if he remembered my voice (we met awhile ago at the spay/nueter clinic in Negril) and he did and told me where he met me. I asked him what he was doing so far out there, where he lived, etc. He hadn't been feeling good (dizzy and couldn't walk) and had to lay down (I saw him the first time about 1pm or so, and then when I was going home about 6:15pm). I asked him if he wanted a ride home and he did. I took his (well not his, his neighbors, but they follow him everyday) dogs too, all four of them (thankfully I had a big towel on the back seat and that towel was BLACK when they got out). Along the way I quized him, asking him all kinds of details about his life, etc. Grew up in a boys home in Kingston, lost his vision when he was a kid (something about someone hitting one eye with a rock and the other getting infected, didn't quite push that part), was kicked out when he was 18 and eventually found his way to Negril. He's now living with a woman in a 1 room board house with her kids and pays her a little rent and money to cook when he can. He sleeps on a little foam that's being broken up by the womans kids. He don't know how long she'll let him stay there.

This information wasn't offered, I felt like I was playing 100 questions with him, I kept firing them off. He does attend the soup kitchen and knows Father Jim. The man is in great need of some personal hygene products and has bad sores on his legs from bug bites. Because it was so late the pharmacy wasn't open to get anything, but I was able to go to the grocery store (he did not ask me, I just said I'll be right back I have to stop somewhere before I drop you) and get some non-perishable items, rice, flour, saltfish, canned mackrel, etc. and some dog food, soap and deoderant. I didn't know his mouth could smile so big when I put the bag on his lap and told him what was inside.

The only thing he asked of me was to keep him in my prayers. He told me he loved me a million times over (and not the "Oh I'm so in love with you Gigalo thing, the grateful love) and thanked me just as much.

The point of my story is that I know it's sometimes hard to decipher who is Really in need and who is just an opportunist, especially in Negril, this man is in need so if he stops to sing a song for you and you have a little change to spare, it will be put to good use.

Bless you for helping him....I too always make sure I give him something when I see him and often see other Ja folks put some money in his hand as well.

next time I am there I will make sure I tip him more often and offer him some assistance. He actually has a nice voice when he sings and I enjoy listening to him.

must confess, i have watched and seen you from afar, it is not my way to intrude, ya i hear you all a laugh, ari aka jamaicame, you make things nice for peeps who would not have anyone, that said, the homeless, blind, weak are too many, in this country and in mine...ari is seeking out a life of not much $$$$ oppertunity, and still, still gives a hand when she can...that is so commendable i praise u sista, not blowing your horn for acknowledgment, but, u r a true giver, that is what life is about in my book!