Jamericans

Full Version: I have mixed feelings about this....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110227/lead/lead2.html

Ocho Rios: fading glory
Tourist industry in danger as visitors avoid streets of the town

On the one hand, I know visitors are harassed.

On the other, keeping (certain) Jamaican people from being in town? Really? It's THEIR town.

...and I also note this:

"In 2006, Ocho Rios got 865,000 cruise-ship passengers ... this year, because of the advent of Falmouth, it is estimated that 400,000 cruise-ship passengers will visit"

Gee, didn't we hear that Falmouth would increase tourism to JA, that's why the government paid all that money to build the port? Now we see that much of the "new" tourism will be offset by losses to other ports. Gosh who could have predicted that?

there was alot of talk on this subject on the radio the last few weeks while i was in negril. sounds like they want to clean up the ugliness of hagglers which i think is a good thing. must be pretty bad if cruisers won't get off the boat.
perhaps negril next ??
i do know that the locals that i had questioned about the new port are very excited about it along with the new developement just right outside of negril, we need it..we need the jobs they say.
i don't know where i've been, had no idea of the new airport, just thought i'd throw that out there LOL.