The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Coffee question. - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Coffee question. (/showthread.php?tid=70157)

Coffee question. - Dana1 - 12-04-2013

We have always brought our own coffee from home to the rock.Is this legal or illegal?I can't find any info online.

Re: Coffee question. - RGondaRoad - 12-04-2013

It is illegal to bring coffee into Jamaica. That said, we brought in a few pounds to get us started before we hooked up with our Blue Mountain guy. Wrapped it up in some towel or outfit - got my bags checked and customs and it went undetected.

You can get nice Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica you know...if you like it that is (not everyone does). Costs about $15-$20 per pound depending on who you get it from.

Re: Coffee question. - kylake - 12-04-2013

We were Islaholics for 9 years and new to Jamaica. This will just be our 3rd trip but it doesn't matter where we travel my wife is bringing her coffee :-) So far no problems anywhere we have traveled.

Re: Coffee question. - oldtimer - 12-05-2013

What is wrong with the coffee in Jamaica ? But then again if you don't have coffee how can you put rum in it in the morning . Not judging just asking .

Re: Coffee question. - RGondaRoad - 12-05-2013

OT had a giggle with you! I love Jamaican coffee, I have for 30 years. But I also know that when I first arrive it might not be there so for the past few years we bring some with so we can have our caffeine fix our first morning.

Its also twice the price of what I pay for coffee in the states so for the time I'm here I mix it up, alternating Blue Mountain and US coffee to make it last longer and save a few dollars.

Re: Coffee question. - Caught - 12-06-2013

One of the things I like about Catcha Falling Star...the coffee is always ready first thing in the morning (like at sunrise) and it may be the ambiance, but it's the best coffee in the world. Seems like every year, on our first morning, the security guard always asks me if I'm OK cause it's so early. "Just fine, thank you, just headed for the coffee"

Re: Coffee question. - Dana1 - 12-08-2013

That was my husband posting. I think "gross" was the wrong choice of words. I don't mind it but find it on the weak side...overrated and overpriced. I bought some to bring home once and don't understand the big hype over Blue Mountain. There's better coffee out there! While we're on the subject of Jamaican coffee, what is up with condensed milk being the creamer of choice?? Have always had to resort to using Rum Creme instead. The last couple years we've brought a can of evaporated milk to use for creamer....

Re: Coffee question. - RGondaRoad - 12-11-2013

"While we're on the subject of Jamaican coffee, what is up with condensed milk being the creamer of choice??"

Jamaica didn't always have the best of modern conveniences enjoyed by the "First World"-such as refrigeration. In the days before they radiated milk and put it in a box "sweet milk" or as its better known to us in North America "Sweetened Condensed Milk" was used instead of straight up cow's milk for things like creaming coffee or tea, or used in porridge to sweeten and cream that up. Its a staple ingredient for Jamaican cooks who soak Bammy in it and use it to make Soursop juice.

That - and its cheap in Jamaica. Not so much in the US where a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk costs around $4. Cans of sweet cream here used to be 25JMD! It costs more now but I can't remember how much I paid at the moment.

These days refrigeration is a bit better but using Sweet Cream has become habit or just plain ol' traditional. You can always tell a Jamaican run or owned restaurant when they serve you sweet cream with your coffee. My very first taste of Blue Mountain coffee I had it iced with - Sweet Cream. Look - you can always ask for "regular" milk and no one will be offended or surprised. Personally, I like my coffee sweet and enjoy alternating my coffee with milk & sweetener or sweet cream. There's something just so Jamaican about Blue Mountain coffee and sweet cream.

Its not just Jamaica though - the product is used worldwide. Ever have a Thai Iced Tea? Sweet Cream. Every have a Vietnamese Iced Coffee? Sweet cream.

As far as coffee, BM is not for everyone. The beans are usually roasted more lightly than what our North American palettes are used to, especially if you are used to swilling Starbucks or Petes on a regular basis. I get mine roasted "medium". It has a lower caffeine content too and a sweeter taste and far less acid than US coffees. I find it doesn't ever taste burned like I find Starbucks tastes all the time. I pay $12-$15 per pound for BM which is why I like to smuggle in a stash of my local organic coffee that I pay $8/lb for. I love it Blue Mountain Coffee but finances say I can't drink my fill of it in the months that I'm here.