The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
tourists robbed in negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: tourists robbed in negril (/showthread.php?tid=69913)

tourists robbed in negril - jitterbug - 11-15-2013

was reading another board and came across this . . .
definitely could happen to any one of us . . .

http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/9796-We-made-it-to-the-rock/page3

Well, I have hesitated greatly before posting this part of the report. It shows that even a seasoned and somewhat savvy traveller can encounter crazy.

We were robbed, at knifepoint this afternoon.

Cindi and I took a taxi over to Times Square, did a bit of souvenir shopping for friends back home... The usual tshirts, crafts, etc.

Taxied over to chicken lavish for lunch, and decided to find a taxi back to tensing.

The first car to come up was a Route taxi, and it was packed to the gills. We had a lot of crap, cindisays aphas a bad knee, and it just was not a fit for us. We waited for the next one which was also a route taxi... Empty but for the driver and passenger, and it was beginning to rain, so I said what the heck. Offered the driver $10 for the trip to tensing, he accted and we got in.

The passenger stated he wanted to be dropped off at his home, we stopped in the little roundabout in front of the primary school down by cav la mar (cage? Stressed right now, not 100% on the name! but it is on my police report). They took us up the road for that hotel, stating he was going to drop him off then take us to tensing.

Passenger made conversation the whole time, telling us his daughter was at the primary school, and he could sell us land on that road if we ever decided to move to jamaica... Utter bs of course, I take the conversation as it comes.

Top of the hill, driver turns the car around, and we go up a strep roadway... Passenger jumps out, put a knife in my wife's face, and said give me everything. He took my wallet, messenger bag, watch, both our wedding rings, the souvenirs, the cash we had on us (most was in the safe), my ipad, my wife's camera, and .. The kicker... My wife's shoes.

When he told us to get out, I frankly saw red, and freaked out. I picked up a rock, smashed the windshield and started beating the driver. They tore out of there, nearly hitting me in the process. My wife is screaming through all of this, so I went to her, and like a damn idiot did not get the plate number.

However, it is a red route taxi (not the ubiquitous white) with a Lilliput (spell?) route on the side which I found out is mobay. It has a smashed in windshield, and I driver that I tried to brain with a stone. 5 more seconds, and I would have disabled or seriously injured him. I was covered with his blood on my hands when they left.

Two very kind ladies down the lane heard my wife screaming, and came to assist, calling a friend to bring us back to the hotel.

Police arrived at the hotel, took us to the police station where individual constables took mine and my wife's statement, the tourism liaison gave us two stamped forms outlining our losses for insurance.

I feel stupid, as I did not get a license number, allowed this trash to take me down a back road, and more importantly that I was unable to seriously injure one of them for putting a knife in my wife's face.

I will not allow this to ruin my vacation. The constable handling the issue seemed genuinely angry about the issue, and during the time we were giving our statements managed to find a still shot of the car from the canoe bar cameras. He had also taken us to one of the supermarkets (not hi lo... The other one) that has a Road cam in an effort to find the car.

The canoe bar camera may be our best shot. I do not care about the stuff. If an always buy more crap. Someone shoved a knife in my wife's face, and I am afraid given the chance I would have done him serious harm.

Remember though... If you are traveling here, and see a red route taxi with Lilliput (I suppose the windshield will be repaired, as I caved it in) grab the plate number. And remember... Please be careful. Many of us are commonly repeat travelers, and can run into this nonsense at any time.

Kudos to the negril police for being so kind to us in this situation, and in particular to the constable who honestly took it as a personal affront, doing more work that I would have expected in such a short time. Karen at tensing and all of her staff have been very kind as I basically had a panic attack in their office.

I will not let negril be ruined for my by the actions of cowards.

Re: tourists robbed in negril - oldtimer - 11-15-2013

Yikes !!!! Yes it happens ever day. There are lots of out of town taxi's after concerts that are trying this stuff.The water craft at night to is a STAY AWAY !!!! red flag as well.

Re: tourists robbed in negril - RGondaRoad - 11-15-2013

Well that's horrible and terrifying!

I don't know who knows this person posting (not JB, the OP from another board) and I don't know their overall experience in Jamaica or with using route taxis but as OT said, one must actually look at the door of the taxi to make sure its a true local - this terrible experience illustrates this.

That just sucks for this person and his wife. I hope they catch the guy(s) and I hope these people were able to salvage their vacation.

Re: tourists robbed in negril - kylake - 11-15-2013

What a bummer for the folks this happened to!

Re: tourists robbed in negril - Negrilnomore - 11-15-2013

Sorry to hear this has happened to them. Do you know if there is a description of the passenger and driver? Was the car a white Toyota Corolla type?

Re: tourists robbed in negril - daniel - 11-15-2013

awful ! sorry it happened.seems like a smashed windscreen is a pretty good lead/clue to who's responsible.