The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons (/showthread.php?tid=67895)

Pages: 1 2 3

Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - rootswoman - 08-01-2013

I just read RGondaroad's post to Booger in Pineys thread and decided to start a new thread.

I am feeling a lot like Booger these days. When we discuss possible winter travel, I personally have no desire to go to Negril - I would much rather go back to Isla Mujeres or Hawaii or most anywhere else tropical.

The main thing that draws me to Negril is seeing some of the people we have made friends with, there, and through these boards. However - our vacation time is limited and the chance of seeing the folks I would like to see is slim.

My con list is
1) I'm tired of the Hustle and not being able to trust ANYONE.
2) I get really sick of the repetitive food choices after a few days
3) I want to see new places and cultures
4) I cant find my rose colored glasses.

I never thought I would feel this way, but I do. I would love to be convinced otherwise.

My intention is not to start a negative Negril bashing thread - its just that RG's post reminded me of a conversation I had the other day and I am feeling much like Booger.

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - jitterbug - 08-01-2013

branch out to different parts of jamaica . . . must have an open mind to experience things in a different way than negril . . . it's a whole different world once you leave negril . . . in some ways, negril feels like a "different country" within jamaica . . .

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - Bigg+Boss - 08-01-2013

You caan trust anyone? Sorry to hear that, I must be Blessed, my friends have proven themselves through the years. Many others who I befriended have disappointed. I had to do some serious reasoning to figure out why these things happen. The first Jamaicans that I formed bonds with outside of the resorts were/are Beach Hustlers, both young and old. They are very gifted in establishing relationships with us Tourists. Tourists equal money, we have money to throw away, they are willing to catch as much as possible during our stays. I continue to suss them out each trip, as I enjoy their company, they are a very entertaining bunch. I don't enjoy partying alone and they are always available for a good time. I consider them my good time friends. I have on occasion spent the night with them sleeping on the beach, with a tarp or piece of tin for a roof and a borrowed beach towel for a blanket. So far no bad has come from it, except for a few John Crow Batty hangovers. The times that I have felt let down by this bunch have been few, but I realize that good potential hustles (Tourists) are hard to come by, and they have to get it while they can. A true friend will always have your back, through thick and thin. Don't give up on Negril, make some new friends. If you like I could introduce you to some of my True friends, good people in Logwood, Red Ground, Sheffield, Sav la Mar, Roaring River.

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - oldtimer - 08-01-2013

It a;; has to do with the coke !!!

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - Pineapple - 08-01-2013

Bigg Boss wrote:

'
They are very gifted in establishing relationships with us Tourists. Tourists equal money, we have money to throw away, they are willing to catch as much as possible during our stays.'

WOW You have money to throw away? Could you toss some in my direction? I'll be your "friend" and take and take and take from you. I'm very sad to hear that you need to throw money at the beach hustlers so you have someone to party with.

I don't go on vacation to make friends. I just want to swim in the sea, dig my toes in the sand and be able to walk down the beach without feeling like I need to turn up my "don't F with me" mode. Negril just isn't that place for me right now. There is so much more of Jamaica and the world to see. If I ever head back to JA I'm heading in another direction. Macy showed that there is so much more at the other end. I've been that direction a couple of times but only for short visits. I think I'll give it a longer try next time.

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - suzengrace - 08-02-2013

negril..like a good drug u do for the first time...u go back looking for the same high..u discover like any addiction the lows....For some it doesnt matter,for others it does...

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - RGondaRoad - 08-02-2013

"I certainly have zero interest in involving myself in any drama that exists within a group of people living or visiting there. "
Amen to that!! I try to live my life as drama free as possible and have no patience for it when on vacation. That said, living there for three months within a tight community there's ALWAYS going to be drama - I just step away from it. Keeps my life nice and - simple...

Simplicity is what I'm really after when I'm in Jamaica. Over 30 years I've seen Negril grow to the point where there's now a sign as you enter announcing it as a "Resort Town". Not so at all when I first stepped foot there! My goal while I'm there is to simplify, slow down, no TV, read books, cut back the work day to an average of 2-3 hours per day and enjoy the great fresh food, air, sea and natural beauty of the place. It still exists - you just have to look a bit harder for it.

The fact that I can only go down there once a year probably helps keep the burn out away. The fact that the friends I have there - expat, native Negrilian and Jamaican from all walks of life - business owners, resort workers, retirees, artists and writers - I met way before the internet came to town. Same with the repeat visitors such as myself that I've met from all over the world. I am blessed to have such a wonderful and solid community of friends in general, there in particular. While I might not set out to make friends on vacation, I just make friends where ever I go - I'm a social person so that just has always come naturally to me.

Because the friends I have there either grew up there or have lived there for decades I've had fanstastic opportunities to check things out and get turned on to wonderful off the beaten path stuff right in the area (before they became "field trips", lol). Hey - I got to participate in the most awesome full moon ceremony every year up until 2008, lighting up a cave with hundreds of candles - I got to enjoy Little Bloody Bay before the townhouses were built - I got to roam around Roaring River with my friend who grew up there and whose family is still there, sharing stories and food under a huge Banyan tree in their yard...I became close friends with the family who owns Half Moon Beach which is my go to spot now when my feet need to hit some sand.

Probably the turning point in my experience in Negril was when my friend asked us to sublet his house for 6 weeks. That was 10 years ago, and I now live in that same yard (not the same house) for three blessed months each year. Its quiet, its clean, we have a pool in varying degrees of "nice" and we have the cliff and the sea - and I have my neighbors in the yard and outside of the yard in one of the few uncongested and mostly residential neighborhoods left in Negril. I have to say, having not had that opportunity I have to wonder if I too would have tired of the Negril hustle and bustle that is today. This is my home away from home.

We spent 6 days in Long Bay last winter and I loved it and I want to and plan to see more of the area. (like finish our triptus-interuptus and check out the Blue Mountains) Still - I was happy to come back to Negril, to our yard, our friends. Home.

As far as the food getting repetitive, it doesn't for me. I remember a Negril where you could not get anything much aside from Jamaican food. Now - well the world is your culinary oyster! Sure, I enjoy the occassional slice of pizza or hamburger while there but I'm not there to eat pizza and hamburgers. Bring on the fresh local ingredients and let me go to town with them. I so reconnect with my cooking and entertaining there, something I have little time to do in NoCal. It fills my heart.

I think the reason Les and I look forward to going back each year, spending the same amount of time and with the same good friends is that our vacation has always been our own. We are not "joiners" and do not rest our vacation on anyone individual's shoulders - we dislike the whole "event to event" and "field trip" thing unless we are organizing that type of thing with our friends/posse. It is so amazing to find people that you travel well with and we've found that with our friends/yard mates...so the four of us are down for pretty much any adventure.

As a non-driver in general I love Negril for the fact that you can get around so easily! The last couple of years we have the motorcycle which really helps, especially these days where finding an uncrowded, undiscovered spot is rare to none in the Negril area. Our bikes have taken us to the south coast many times, at least twice each trip, to the North Coast twice and beyond this year god willing. But still - I so dig the fact that I can jump in a route taxi or just walk to the store, beach, down the cliff to visit friends or enjoy a drink at Canoe. I don't know for sure that this is all that possible in a place like Long Bay - but I'd need to spend more than 6 days there to truly discover that.

Is the beach hustle in Negril out of control? Yes - so I don't go to the beach there, I prefer Half Moon Beach. Do I get hustled and begged upon downtown? Sure - but I let it roll right off my shoulders and keep moving until I find the place where that won't happen to me. Because I love the place so and find for me what I'm looking for in this extended visit each year, at least right now, Negril will be that sweet spot.

Everyone should have at least one sweet spot!

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - macyoder - 08-03-2013

RW-

"The main thing that draws me to Negril is seeing some of the people we have made friends with, there, and through these boards."

IMOP- if your main draw is not to relax, refresh, and renew, you are not going on vacation but taking a trip. Try showing up without telling anyone when you are coming or leaving:-)

"I'm tired of the Hustle and not being able to trust ANYONE. "
Why do you need to trust. I love many but trust few especially on any vacation.

" I get really sick of the repetitive food choices after a few days '
I always pack snacks especailly coffee on all my vacations. I took cofee to Kona which is like taking weed to Jamaica.

"I want to see new places and cultures "

Many places to see in Jamaica but culture takes time. If you are busy vacationing simple learn enough about the culture not to offend. Please do not call Jamaicans rude because they beg/ask excessively,habitually:-))))). They are creating an opportunity for you to express your generosity, so leave that quality at home

" I cant find my rose colored glasses."
Just smile and tell yourself, you are a guest, it their country, and I can't change it.

Change the main reason/draw to relax and enjoy and there are places you can do that. However, I don't think anyone should keep going back to the same place over and over. There is an amazing world to see but Negril is NOT the best Jamaica has to offer.

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - kylake - 08-03-2013

When your first find a new vacation spot you see it through the eyes of a child. After traveling there for multiple years and seeing changes and some which you may not like you see it as an adult.

My 2 cents is that I think anytime you travel to the same location year after year, there is a certain amount of burn out that develops. Also mentioned in this thread if you develop personal relationships with the folks where you vacation (hard not to if you frequent) they can at times add drama and let you down.
I only get one vacation a year and don't want anything but vacation. Isla Mujeres provided this for 9 years and now Negril is providing the same. First trip to Negril we stayed at CoCo (nice hotel) and I really didn't like the amount of hagglers on the beach. We went to Point Village last year and it was great we could walk long beach but then return to peace and quiet at night and during our beach days no hagglers.
Half Moon is also a nice place get away from the hassle. Going to try Rhodes Hall this year treating as a day trip and don't expect any hassle there.

I am sure at some point I will burn out in Negril but for now it is a nice vacation place. Also for you folks that are enjoying Isla (great place) also keep in mind the close locations of Akumal and Tulum when you burn out on Isla Mujeres (which can become a "Peyton Place" when you get familiar/friends with locals and expats on the island)
Again just my 2 cents

BTW, Isla will provide it again I just needed a break and maybe that is all you need from Negril. Porty, Treasure beach, here I come, when I am retired and have more time to vacation in Jamaica.

Re: Negril Vacation Pros and Cons - Jenny - 08-04-2013

I really liked the time we spent in Treasure Beach last trip, with a just a few days in Negril; that worked out perfectly! I would also love to see the eastern side of the island, where I've never been. I do love the people, the music, the food and, of course, the sea & the cliffs. I have been somewhat disappointed in the coral reef health, and so that is why we visited Akumal, Mexico last vacation. Loved the vibrancy & health of the reef & all of the sealife there, especially at the Yal-Ku Lagoon, where the salt water meets the fresh water!