The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 (/showthread.php?tid=67158)

Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - tinabean - 06-30-2013

Hi all, I have tried a few times to post this but have not had any luck so going to try again.
I had the pleasure of spending a few nights in Santiago Chile on my way to the South Atlantic, for a new job. It was really an interesting journey. I found a lovely little flat in a nice part of Santiago on AirBnB which was so close to the largest fruit market in all of Chile, a large meat market, and a really interesting fresh seafood market. I was also within walking distance of some really interesting neighbourhoods and many bars and restaurants.
I tried to do as much research as I could so I was as best prepared for my surroundings, but of course, some still caught me off guard but nothing really to complain about or even mention.
I did write while I was there but mostly my own thoughts and feelings because this was yet another move to another country for a job, and of course, I spent some time wondering what the hell I was thinking....still thinking that actually.
I will post some pics below and let me know if anyone has any questions. There was a lot I didn't see and do. It was an amazing city with some surprises and some unexpected fun. It was hot one day and then cool the next. They were moving into winter when I had just left the northern hemisphere where we were moving into summer so that was weird. As I sit right now writing this, it is snowing outside and cold here...and will be until sometime in November, early December. I will post at a later date some pictures from my current home....it is a strange place that almost seems to be about 20 or 30 years behind the civilized world...lol. That is another story....

Here is Santiago....
The Andies below before landing....

View from my little flat just after sunset

Another shot from my flat

daytime shot

local church, there were so many

The funny money....1usd = 470pesos

local street market

Entertainment in the meat market....there were a lot of little cook shops that were dotted amongst the meat stalls...it was kinda weird that way.

My lunch one day

fresh fruit at the market...really cheap

This is what I had for breakfast every morning at the fruit market...fresh strawberries and pineapple

kiwis, grapes, and lemons....all so cheap

some fresh veg...some of the biggest corn I have ever seen

outdoor market stall

the seafood market

This took forever, over an hour, so I will post a few more pics in a few days. I'm on satellite so it is really slow. I will also include a few pics of Argentina from the air and a bit of where I am now just before I landed.....hope these are okay to share here.

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - skyjuice - 06-30-2013

I love it !!! I have been to Brazil and I am fascinated with SA. I have friends that moved to Argentina as well. Please share more Smile

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - aqui - 06-30-2013

wow,..thank you for taking the time to share..nice to read an accounf of someone's adventure minus the usual drama..thaks again. I am looking frwd to seeing some more pictures.

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - suzengrace - 06-30-2013

wonderful !!!! Thank you for sharing...

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - Pineapple - 07-01-2013

Another adventure begins. Can't wait to hear more. What type of work do you do that takes you to such exodic locations? Thanks for taking the time to upload the photos. They were wonderful.

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - oldtimer - 07-01-2013

Cool !!!!!!! Really cool....What a great bunch we have here !!!!

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - tinabean - 07-01-2013

I was unsure if it was okay to share this here but glad that people don't mind. I have a few more pictures I will upload shortly.

I work within social services and have followed the shortage lists that countries put out which has allowed me to apply for registration and jobs in this field. As a result, although born in Canada, I have had the pleasure of working in the UK and here, which is the Falkland Islands, a British Overseas Territory....this will give me away as there is only a population of 2500 and most don't leave this little place, so, if you ever run into me in JA, the usual question of 'where do you live' will give me away. I am also Native and have exercised my treaty right to live and work in the US so I have been able to work in 4 different countries so far.

To get here to the Falklands from North America, I had to travel through South America. I had never been any further past the Cancun in Mexico or Jamaica in the Caribbean so it was a bit of an adventure. If I was a UK citizen or coming from the UK, I would have gone through Ascension Island in the mid Atlantic which is an air force base mainly shared by the UK and the US apparently. There are very few inhabitants on Ascension and most who are there are military and doing a tour. Unfortunately, I have been told that it is only a stop over and not much time is allowed and they keep everyone quarantined while the plane is refuelled and such. It is a tropical island. I may have to go that way to visit a few clients a some point as we have a few clients who live in the UK.

I don't know how long I will be here...I took a contract but now sure I really want to fulfil it for various reasons I won't bore you all with here....more pictures to come

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - kylake - 07-01-2013

Thanks for taking time to post. Boy fruit is so inexpensive there!

Re: Santiago, Chile,....a few pictures, part 1 - rootswoman - 07-01-2013

Wow! What an adventure1
So very cool - I'm so glad you shared.
Id love to hear about and see pictures of the Falklands.

Thank you!