The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Hey everyone!! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Hey everyone!! (/showthread.php?tid=67024)

Pages: 1 2

Hey everyone!! - LostBeachBum - 06-25-2013

I haven't been on for a while but wanted you all to know that I haven't disappeared, just still hanging out on the other side of the world. Wow, this is a long post but if you care about what Ive be doing or how im feeling, read on... I cant believe almost 2 years have already gone by since I decided to sell it all and follow my dreams. These last 5 months have been some of the best experiences of my life. Almost feels like my first solo trip in JA nearly 10 years ago that sparked this insatiable lust for wondering the world. As I sit here reflecting on all i have done and look back at pictures all I can do is smile. After spending 4 months from Mexico to Panama, I came home for playoffs and Super Bowl. Ravens baby!! Then I was off to New Zealand for 3.5 months. I drove just under 10k KM, or 6200 miles around that incredibly beautiful country, a road trip of epic proportions. Hadn't planned on quite that long of a road trip but glad it worked out that way. I picked up dozens of hitch hikers and had many deep meaningful conversations with them. Conversations I am unable to have with non travelers or narrow minded folks.

Ive shared my bed with complete strangers and also had total strangers open their homes to me. The level of sheer generousity and hospitality ive experienced in that country has opened my eyes to the way the world should be. Its also made me realize these are the kind of people I want to live my life around. Ive given away more than Ive recieved in these last few months and that in itself was more rewarding than I could have imagined. I realize now that Ive taken all that I have from this world and always did what I wanted not caring about consequenses. My life is now about balance, still taking what I have to and not exactly playing the "the rules" but giving back at the same time.

Ive climbed a volcano, trekked for days completely alone, caught my own food and pulled some right out of the water, drank from clear streams in pristine wilderness, checked off numerous bucket list items including skydiving and bungee, camped in some of the most magestic landscapes in the world, had some of the best meals of my life, made great friends, swam with dolphins, hung out with seals, sealions and penguins. Ive learned new recipes, new songs and phrases in multiple languages. Learned to surf, kind of, got up twice for a lil bit. Studied some new martial arts and a little acrobatics. Ive made some money and some very good contacts, also secured my total financial freedom in the near future. Read lots of great books and started to develop new intersts. Ive dined with rich and poor, spent days in luxury, rode a quad through the surf for miles on a deserted beach, seen amazing sunrises and sunsets, had some holy shit moments, added a few notches to my belt and some of my crazier male only stories. Also bought my own gear to be a self suffient diver, spearfisherman and lots of new toys for underwater photography and video/photo editing.

Im in the best place mentally I could be and physically feeling great! My confidence is at an all time high and ive got a little extra bop in my step. I finally am starting to feel complete and have agknowledged that this is the only way I want to live my life. I made a decision that has broken my dependence on normal American life while screwing over a system that I dislike very much. A win win for me!

Never have I been so excited to start a new chapter of my life. Im finally part of a real adventure and at the ground floor of something BIG! Im going to the places I have always dreamed of. Off to find my piece of paradise. Hopefully finding some treasure while im at it but at the very least learning new skills that will carry me through the rest of my life. In 7 months I will be a tan, fit, guitar playing, sailing, ultralite flying, PADI dive master who has just about every useful skill imaginable. Im so happy to be me and to share my love of the world with others. I strive to be as free as any man can be while not being a fugative. Ive been told by many that I inspire them and have even changed the course of several lives for the better.

With all that said however this life is not perfect. I do miss my family and friends who I love very much. There is some desire for a stable life but the draw of the unknown is still overpowering. Some people ask me, is traveling solo all this time lonely? The answer is 2 fold. No, because you are only alone for as long as you want to be. Whenever you want to meet someone or have someone to travel with, you just say hello. Its really that simple. I now have friends, girlfriends, and a place to stay all over the world. On the other hand, yes, this type of travel is lonely. Because of all the constant goodbyes and lack of long lasting relationships. Things happen faster and emotions run hotter on the road than they do at home, mostly because there are no expectations, we are who we truly are with no fakeness or fronts. Its hard to explain but I'll use this analogy. Ive had relationships while traveling that go through all the normal stages in 3 days. Honeymoon, bored married couple, I cant stand you and want a divorce.

The other side of this is not having a partner. Ive traveled every way, 5 star to NO star. Solo, with family, with friends, with girlfriend, and on business. Traveling with someone you love is just better. Maybe its because most of my teenage and adult life have been in long relationships that I just feel better in one. But being single on the road is starting to lose its novelty. No one should be this used to good morning and goodbye, sorry mom... The most frustrating part about all this is knowing there are people out there who Ive met that I do want this type meaningful relationship with but are either too broke to live this life and have no real skills to support themselves. Or they are still studying. Or have dreams and aspirations of their own which they aren't willing to compromise, like becoming an Olympic champion... Jag saknar dig!

So as you can see, this life is amazing but not perfect as im sure no ones life really is. But this is my life, i chose this road and it was the best decision I've ever made. I like being different, thinking outsude the box, pushing my limits and always improving myself. I no longer think that "normal" life is the wrong way. Its quality of life that matters. If you are truly happy and theres nothing about your life that you want to change, then you've figured out the meaning of this crazy ride we are on and are in the same place as me...

For the last 6 weeks I've been in Fiji, living on the yacht I'll be diving from until at least the end of November. I've learned so much and had some of my best conversations and discussions with the most succesul people I know and was always treated as an equal. I've become a part of the Marina family and have made some great friends and amazing connections. Its made me realise that this is my lifestyle and where I am destined to be. We just crossed the Pacific and have arrived at our real destination, The Kingdom of Tonga. We luckily had a good window of weather for what is a notoriously rough passage because of SE trade winds. Our boat is solid and we carry more safety gear than most cruise ships. I trust my captain with my life and couldnt ask for a better crew. Now that we're here, we're off in search of most boyhood dreams, sunken treasure. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to be here in a new culture, new people, new islands, new food, new oppertunities and new experiences. I cant wait to see Nomuka Iki, our beautiful uninhabbited Pacific island paradise that we have graciously been given the use of by the Crown Prince. Im so excited to get back under the water and start surveying our wrecks. There is so much I want to say but cant because of confidentiality. All I can say is that there is a very real chance we've found "IT"! Follow along of you're interested. I'm not sure what the rules are now about posting links so just google Blue Treasure Dive or Tonga Blue and you'll find us. My blog is in the process of being transferred so theres nothing on it at the moment. I hope everyone is enjoying their time in JA or planning their next one. Greetings to all the new members who have no idea who I am and bless up to all my old friends!! I'll try to keep in touch.

Blessings,

John

Re: Hey everyone!! - suzengrace - 06-25-2013

Well, look what the cat dragged in ...LOL !!!! Been quite awhile LBB, was wondering what was up with you...Hope you post more about your adventures-pics are always nice too...

Glad your well and still on the road...

Safe journey

Re: Hey everyone!! - tinabean - 06-25-2013

with a beginning like that, I can't wait for more....just looked up Blue Treasure, hoping I found the right site....more please, love hearing about other places, other adventures, bring it on.

Re: Hey everyone!! - Angel - 06-25-2013

Nice you checked in. Sounds like you are really enjoying things in life. Have safe journeys. Check in when you get a chance. Good luck treasure hunting.

Re: Hey everyone!! - oldtimer - 06-26-2013

WOW !!! What a budget !!! good for you !!!

Re: Hey everyone!! - Markospoon - 06-26-2013

Way to go.

Keep on keepin on and live your life the way you want.

I wish I could join you for about 10 weeks or so.

Thanks!

Re: Hey everyone!! - rootswoman - 06-26-2013

Wow!
I'm so glad you checked in with us
and so glad you are doing your thing.
One day when the time is right I believe that special someone will appear.
Some of us just have to spend a lot of time alone before that gate opens.
I know I did.
Please keep checking back - ill never forget your food thread - i want to see what you have been eating since then....

Re: Hey everyone!! - Markospoon - 06-26-2013

Dude,

I have been reading your blog for the past hour.

I sure would love to be a part of the "Blue Base Team" on the island. :-)

10 weeks would be just the right amount of time to get away from the concrete jungle.

It appears like you guys have the correct way of looking at things and the world.

The report was very, very interesting.

So much to read. :-)

I will finish it later this weekend.

Keep up the good work.

I sure would love to kick it on Tonga with you guys.

The shark attack was a little sad, but that's how it goes sometime.

i really hope she is doing well.

Take care and keep the wind in your sails!

Re: Hey everyone!! - wit - 06-28-2013

awesome...thanks for sharing!

Re: Hey everyone!! - LostBeachBum - 06-30-2013

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all took the time to read that long post. Markospoon, if you are seriously interested in joining Blue Blase, feel free to send an email to the Captain and he will explain the process to you. Its a hell of an adventure and it looks like I'll be on Blue Base next season as well. Tired of living on a yacht already, the beach is more my speed. The internet is beyond horrible here but I will try to keep in touch. I'd love to post some of the great new pics I have but that's hopeless with this connection. Here's a little recent story though.

The other day I was hitching back to the boat when two guys picked me up. One of them turned out to be an important man in the community and was in charge of the large church conference in town. People come from all over the world just to attend. Most of the royal family is also present. He invited my friend and I to be his guests at the feast. This is the most lavish feast I've ever seen, they feed over 2k people, twice a day for a week. There was music, colorful traditional outfits and performances by various local tribes as they presented their gifts to the royal family.

We were sat at a table with incredibly friendly and welcoming people who were very curious about who we were and what we were doing on the island. The hospitality of this country continues to amaze me but it was the food that truly blew me away. A whole roast young pig, I got an ear Smile 5 massive crayfish (lobster) cooked various styles including the best thermadore I've ever tasted. Grilled, baked and raw fish, also Ota Ika which is Polynesian style ceviche made with fresh coconut cream. 2 different kinds of shrimp, various mollusks cooked in their shells. The most tender octopus I could imagine cooked in its own ink. Fried and ceviche squid, mussels, and clams. Deboned fried and stuffed chicken wings, more pork and lamb curry. They also had a very unique dish that I can only describe as sweet fat. Basically it was cooked soft pork fat that had been caramelized, interesting play on flavors and not too bad. For dessert we had bread pudding and ice cream sundaes. Everything was as fresh as can be and cooked to absolute perfection by mothers and grandmothers who've been cooking seafood their entire lives. It was truly a feast of epic proportions and one of my most memorable meals to date. At the end of the meal I was introduced to the Queen and Queen Mother, both were very happy to have me in the country and love the work we are doing here. Ive gone back for round 2 and 3 since the first day, each time sitting with different families. Always a great time!