The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Up Close and Personal w/ Andrew Tosh - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2010 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Up Close and Personal w/ Andrew Tosh (/showthread.php?tid=6630)

Up Close and Personal w/ Andrew Tosh - Lola - 12-15-2010

For those who held on, the reward was SWEET.

Negril Escape had not only a Plan B, but a Plan C to deliver a great experience.

Arriving at 10:30pm in a light drizzle, we found a healthy crowd clinging like bats to a cave under every roof, overhang and tent surrounding the office and parking lot; the party was on. Even the food and craft vendors were under a large pavillion adjacent to the office.

After toiling all day to erect a large stage in the the parking lot to provide a comfortable venue away from the sea breeze, rain had begun to fall mid-evening, challenging Carey Wallace and his crew once again. Hopeful the sky would clear, at 11pm they began uncovering the stage. On came the rain again, stopping and starting, heavy at times.

At 11:45 an announcement is made. I think oh no, they have to cancel the show. Nahhhh, Negril Escape is a sizeable venue with multiple gathering areas, and the band begins setting up with minimal equipment on the 3rd floor open air pavillion overlooking the sea. The crowd quickly begins to move over and the bartenders start packing up to relocate. I manage to buy another drink during the process, everyone seems to be in a good mood, helping each other out and smiling.

We meandered over slowly, lingering on the 2nd floor to watch the sea swirl up and break over the seawalls, forcing beautiful sprays of water, like fireworks spreading and revealing their subtle variations as the sparks and droplets fall to earth again. Below, a bizzare-looking animal winds through the garden and down to the shore. From above it looks like a combination of pig/goat/cat/dog, with very muscular shoulders and hips, gray in color. After making its rounds it returned the way it came.

We heard the band tuning up and a first number, and then Andrew Tosh being welcomed by the crowd. It was tempting to stay right there as we could hear the music perfectly, but we moved upstairs, where many were seated in several rows of chairs on three sides of the band, more folks were on their feet and Andrew Tosh, resplendent in white, was singing to and with the crowd, like we were at a private party. We were.

With "Get Up Stand Up" everyone was on their feet and the room was in such a vibe for the next hour and more. We even had some brief but perfectly timed lighting effects. From the back of the crowd we were only about 20 feet from the performance, at eye level with Andrew. The love and appreciation from the crowd was delivered so directly and he responded in kind. The show ended upbeat and strong, with his loving admonition "not to drink and drive, and if you drive, don't drink!"

I'm still groovin' on the vibe this morning, a non-stop smile on my face and the joy of life expanding my heart. The sun is shining and the sea, albeit still a bit choppy, is a lovely dark turquoise.

What are you doing next Tuesday? Taurus Riley is booked at Negril Escape - hope you can be there. I will.

Re: Up Close and Personal w/ Andrew Tosh - Tammy - 12-15-2010

What beautiful writing. I felt as though I was right there with you. OK can you explain this strange animal? LOL

Re: Up Close and Personal w/ Andrew Tosh - francesca - 12-15-2010

Such a great descriptive narrative Lola. You don't need a camera, your words are like pics! So nice that the show went on and transformed into a special evening for everyone.