The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica (/showthread.php?tid=65536)

Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - Rasta+Stan - 04-19-2013

I met a hard working doctor yesterday and was told that his group are leaving Jamaica after 30 years of service here. Doctors Without Boarders are pulling all their people out due to safety concerns. "People are getting killed for shoes in Jamaica and it's time we get out" , is what I was told. It's a sad it's come to this and this group no longer feels safe in JA.

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - Sophie - 04-19-2013

This is very sad. I have started to type several things but I think I will just keep my big mouth shutSmile, I do believe that in my old age I have discovered that just because I have an opinion that doesn't mean that I always have to share itSmile

Hope your stay is going great Stan.

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - Van - 04-19-2013

Wow in all of my time living in Jamaica I have never met one doctor from Doctors without Borders in Jamaica. Are they working under a different umbrella name?

I know doctors (local) who are leaving or have left and I have friends who would or will never leave (or want to) because they want to help. It is very stressful for them not just supplies, and lack of, but yes, their own lives.

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - RGondaRoad - 04-19-2013

"Wow in all of my time living in Jamaica I have never met one doctor from Doctors without Borders in Jamaica."
Me neither?

My doc in Negril left after many years having his clinic and working with the resorts...burn out maybe? I never really discussed why he was closing his clinic and ultimately leaving Negril. He never indicated that he felt unsafe there though.

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - Van - 04-19-2013

nm

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - suzengrace - 04-19-2013

I have friends from around the world involved with drs w/o borders- had no idea they were involved in Jam..

I read were drs were also leaving Puerto Rico- mostly because of pay and better oppurtunites in the states.(but increase in crime is a problem there too).I'd read of a few Drs in the past year or so what were murderd-so yes, most likely a safety concern as well as better oppurtunites elsewhere...

This is what starts to happen when violence gets out of control and increases ...people who can leave will leave ,not only professionals but business owners as well- (who take the jobs they provided with them as will)
Its downward spiral...

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - suzengrace - 04-19-2013

My friend says Drs w/o borders is involved in Haiti as well as Honduras and Guatemala-but as a organization no Jam(that he was ever aware of) This Dr may be involved -but the organization itself is not (in Jam),,,
But if all theses Drs are leaving the Island-Jam just may need to be calling in orgnaizations such as the above...

Re: Doctors pulling out of Jamaica - aqui - 04-19-2013

unfortunately, lots of good ppl leaving Jamaica everyday..I wish some of the teefing politicians would leave,too!