The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN (/showthread.php?tid=65254)

Pages: 1 2

didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - livlvlife - 04-14-2013

can't whine and complain on facebook, so I am doing it here...you lucky people. I just need to vent. I know I am blessed and my conflicts are mine alone as I try to deal with these personal internal issues.

arrived to the cold northern part of US last night; got home, turned up the heat and turned on my electric blanket. No tree frog lullaby, woke up this morning to a bleaky cold looking day; no warm breezes, blue sky or sunshine through my window, or my nightingale singing to me. Yes, life is so much easier here (everything is on demand, fast, easy) but with all the challenges of Jamaican living (water, current, no walmart, etc.), I prefer the simplier life where I appreciate and give thanks for all things that I have taken for granted. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for all things here, but (please, my opinion only) there is just too much, more is always expected and so easy to fall back into middle class life style.

during my 2 month stay, I was able to reduce or eliminate some of my prescribed medication (even tho I panicked when i ran out of one, went to clinic, then Sav for my "special order"; once they were in hand, I only took one) was more active, and in less pain.

yes, a foreigner is perceived as rich (and relatively speaking are, since you have the means to travel) had many financial challenges (which got to the point where my friend and I just had to laugh because it was becoming so ridiculous) was beyond comprehension to our JA friends. it all worked out, as things do, maybe not as expected by my initial US expectations, but with an adjustment in real priorities everything really was irie.

bottom line, I will soon get out of my bed, and get over myself...make a plan, ask for guidance, and act. Even if I am labeled as crazy....

ok, I think i am finished with my incoherent ramblings....no one "blast" me, please cause I am cold and tired and a bit f'ed-up emotionally.
LOL!!!

soon come

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - jaith - 04-14-2013

I can relate. I've been back in WI for 2-1/2 weeks after a 6 mo stay & CANNOT adjust. I know the weather is a major issue....I planned to come "home" to spring! I lived rural the last 3 months and loved it...my landlord was very proactive re:water storage so I never suffered the water issues; I miss JA bad!

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - DAWN - 04-14-2013

No apologies needed ll...it is a big switch most of us deal with when coming home. For the most part, things are much easier here in the states but why do we so long for the simplicity and struggles of Jamaica?

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - oldtimer - 04-14-2013

Doing stuff takes lots of time doesn't it. What I didn't like about working in Jamaica was not being back here in Nova Scotia with my family.That is why I only took 4-6 week jobs after I stopped taking my family there. Certainly not living in Negril is way more fullfilling than living "on the strip". The weather I do miss but when you living on lots of the east end of the island you get overcast alot. I'm very satisfied with my life except being completely worn out .When your a "redneck grunt" that loves his job it's hard to see the "STAY THE F*** HOME" line, which in all all reality is the "finish line",in my mind.It took me along time to see the BIG picture. I wanted my kids to have it easier than me ,and they did , but they are giving it back to me a trillion time over. I'm a blessed man. My mother used to say she talked to an Indian when she was young ( early 1900's ) and he told her " if everyone thought the same they would all want to screw my old squaw "...Sad but true...hehehe

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - suzengrace - 04-14-2013

When am sitting in the MBJ airport for departure I just look around and start to grow a little more depressed..just seeing humans attached to their smartphones,iapads etc like its a lifeline-all the trappings of consumerism with over-priced stuff, etc,the junk food.,the hurry,hurry, no patient attitudes of travelers, etc...
I dont deal with the weather woes like many of you,thank goodness-I can see how that could be a bummer..
I certainly dont stay for long periods of time- i'm not a trust fund kid and got quite aways to go until i can "retire" ie have more time to travel-but do manage to go 3-4 times a year at least for 2weeks or more..
Living in a country yard -w/o modern conveniences isnt easy,(and dealing with all the "protocol" of living out there) but in a way its a much more "Simpler" life(we have dvd for movies and of course music but NO tv-which is how we want it) -and thats what i crave so much..Not to mention spending time with my Jam. partner..

But like Fatty and Jitters I too am glad to go back to my "other life" I enjoy the best of what both worlds have to offer-I have an appreciation for both places..(as well as my laundry lists of dislikes)

ps. Next time Macy wear some knee-pads for all that crazy dancing your doing ..LOL...hope your check-up went well.

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - oldtimer - 04-15-2013

Suzengrace wrote .."i'm not a trust fund kid " or " an alimony refugee ". Lots of those around !!!!

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - oldtimer - 04-15-2013

I wonder what "the parents" really think ??? or the "ex's".

safety as a tourist - Rambo - 04-15-2013

that is what I have been saying for years.....why people try to "not be a tourist"
blend in with the "runnins", hang with the "wrong" runnins and so on.......

we have always felt a little more safer than the locals do walking around...we dont appear rich, but, we are no doubt, not from "around these parts"..but we feel some safety comes with the fact We are Tourist, rather than the ex-pats

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - RGondaRoad - 04-15-2013

After doing the long term stay thing for 10 years now its become formula - for every month I'm there, that's a week of "re-entry" I need to deal with...whether I have that luxury or not.

This year within 5 days of coming home I was back on a plane to NYC during some of the most miserable weather I have encountered there in years. So this year's re-entry was tough.

I too do not have to deal with weather issues but lets face it, it still gets down into the 30's and 40's in the mornings and evenings here in bucolic NoCal...and when you're used to the temps in JA that can feel MIGHTY cold. I'm looked upon as the town weather pussy as it is...when I come back from JA after a few months in the sun I'm bundled to the max and stay that way for weeks.

My biggest heart-ache is missing my friends and community. But...I am always glad to be back in California because, let's face it - I'm really just going from one soft spot to another. I am blessed to live in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, rain or shine - be it on the Carribean or on the Pacific.

My biggest take-away for my three months on-island is how to "lose" those first world problems and how to connect with myself and my husband on a more simplified meaningful level. I love sweeping my floor there - I love cooking there - I love just SITTING there...none of which I take the time to do when I'm in the states but being concious of it, each year I make more time to do just that.

In case anyone is wondering I'm not a trust fund kid, an alimony case or a drug dealer. I'm just a hard working gyal that takes what she earns and spends it as she needs - I'm willing to bet my 3 months in Jamaica costs less than 2 weeks in some of the fancier/expensive AI's. And I've never (knock wood) had to stress over finances there. I'm a realist so I know what to expect, what I can and can't do during my months on island. I have a good time, like I do at home, without having spend oodles of money. Its one of the reasons I opted out of a seven year tradition in going to Rebel Salute this year. I'd rather rent our motorcycle for a few weeks more and make a special trip with special friends to parts of the island I have not seen yet.

I never take for granted that I'll be back....February to November is a lot of time when anything can happen. I'm fully planning on returning this winter, fully planning on spending the same amount of time, in the same yard with my friends and community. But having just buried another friend this month before his time...I know that anything can happen to anyone at any time.

Life is short. Trip hard. And never forget to be thankful.

Re: didn't wake up with a smile; back in IN - RGondaRoad - 04-15-2013

...oy! My "goal" with that post was not to wax poetic - it was to address livlivlife's opening line "Didn't wake up with a smile...."

Hon, most of us don't wake up with a smile but I suggest we all try to smile before getting out of bed. Its another glorious day on the planet - and we are all blessed to see it again.