The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND (/showthread.php?tid=49265)

People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - DAWN - 05-21-2012

What was learned, taught and accepted in Windy Lou’s 13.5 years.
She spent the first summer of her life staying on a boat in a marina and only ended up in the water once. She loved to swim and I sported many scratches from her trying to catch me while swimming. She would want to play fetch until she couldn’t even drag her wet self out to bring the stick back. She loved to dig and really enjoyed the sand beach. Like a gopher in soft dirt.

We worked next to a daycare early on and even while she would jump on everyone that walked thru the door she had a gentleness for all the kids. After the kids would wake from nap they would line up and each get to give her a treat. They had a police dog come once and one of the kids went up and tried to put his arms around the dogs neck. He didn’t realize that all dogs weren’t special like Windy. This same kid was the first that would put his mitten thru the fence so Windy could grab it and run down the fence line with all the other kids running and laughing behind her.

There have been many kids that know and love Windy. They wouldn’t remember my name but always “Windy the dog” Always a good sport letting them poke, pinch and hug her. Gentle as a summer breeze I don’t believe she has ever bit anyone. And up until the last year when she needed to step up say leave me alone, did she ever show aggression. She was always submissive, even with the little yippy dogs and puppies. She would just lay down and let them crawl all over her.

As a puppy she tormented so many dock dogs. I can remember her ruff housing with this big bulldog. They ran towards each other and you could hear a smack when they hit. Got right back up and wrestled again.

I had a butcher friend that would stop by and Windy would lay down and just lick his boots.

Unlike most of my other friends, she loved my whistle even when running the other way. She had this thing where she would watch and hear me whistling and she would tilt her head as if she could hear it better than.

I worked in an office since she was 7 weeks old and she was able to come with me to work. I think she grew on everyone there. The father of my boss’ had this tough rough way but he really took a shine to her. He would buy dog food and each morning when he would come in he would throw her a handful on the floor. She ate ready but was happy to be the chicken he was feeding again. A number of other co-workers also had treats in their desks for her. She found cheetos in one ladies bag once and would try and check every morning if there was any more. Even the UPS guy would carry her treats and she would wake from a dead sleep when she heard his truck coming. His relief guy wasn’t such a fan as Windy would go right to his pocket. Or go right in the truck where the treats were kept. Because of her size there was another delivery guy that I caught peaking in the window. He was check to see if “That big dog is in there” He was going to leave without delivering if she was. We all had a good laugh about that one.

She like to get treats and would humor you and do your simple tricks. Sit, down and shake. One co-worker would get to twitch from left to right shake to get them. Soon before anything was even said and the treat got out of the drawer she had her paw up and ready.

There have been times when we use to walk. After coming home from work, she would eat and I would sit and watch Oprah. She would know and encourage me to put my tennis shoes on and would bounce until we went for a walk. She got me going. She was also overly concerned about me choking. She would sit right in front of me so she could see my face when I was eating making sure I didn’t choke.

She always seemed to have trouble with her ears. Lots of swabs, qtips, wraps, drops, washes and ointments. She would know and try to sneak away or just put her head down. Never did she even growl at me as I know it couldn’t have been fun. Maybe all dogs love it, but she loved to hang her head out the window, I can imagine it felt good on her ears.

She was the best shedder I have ever met. There are a couple weeks a year that I can brush her everyday and still get cups of hair off her blonde coat. I remember being a little jealous of all the hair when I was going thru chemo and didn’t have any of my own. Speaking of chemo, Windy had her dog bed at the end of my bed and from the day I was diagnosed slept next to my bed just to be near me. She could sense when I was sad and would come close and just sit.

I know it was the right thing to do, to spare my best friend any more suffering but I am really going to miss her.

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - barbara - 05-21-2012

((((((((WARM BLESSINGS DAWN))))))))))))

I sang the whole song through reading your post. As soon as I saw the title the song popped into my head.

I had to have one leave me at 16yo... I will tell Beethovan to wait for Windy cross the Rainbow Bridge...

RUN WINDY... RUN...

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - Sophie - 05-21-2012

Oh no, damn it all. I am bawling like a baby. I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I could say something to make it all better but I know it doesn't work that way. She was a beautiful girl and I'm glad you were a good friend to her and she to you. Why can't our pups live forever?????

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - DAWN - 05-21-2012

Thanks...it's nice to hear from fellow dog lovers!

Jeanieb..I have had that poem hanging on my refrigerator for a couple of months, knowing but still unable to set her free..

I agree..RUN WINDY RUN!

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - suzengrace - 05-21-2012

Big hug Dawn...I just saw a wonderful program on PBS tv last night called "through the eyes of Dogs"..All about canine assistants and how they match them up with an adult or child ...It was wonderful...I suggest you and anyone who loves dogs watch it-i believe there is a book too..
I work in a large hospital and I know the highlight of some of the patients is when the therapy dogs come to visit....The smiles and happiness these unassuming animals bring to ill/injured people is heart-warming..
Windy was your best friend but you were also hers-you gave her the best friendship and home that anyone could...and you did that right thing by not pro-longing her suffering.
Another Big Hug Dawn.....

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - oldtimer - 05-21-2012

I DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! know what you mean !!! You DID !!! the correct thing !!!

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - mickey - 05-21-2012

my dog, bear, died the day i was coming home from jamaica 2 yrs ago in feb. i knew her health was failing, but didn't think she was that close to death.

she as also the good natured kind of dog that would let kids crawl all over her.

i still miss her and always will.... many wonderful memories......

Re: People let me tell you 'bout my BESTFRIEND - DAWN - 05-22-2012

Thank you all for your kind words and understanding....Yesterday was ruff but after a good night of sleep with my puppy by my side, I feel much better about it..

Thanks again!!!!