The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
higher power - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: higher power (/showthread.php?tid=48493)

higher power - jitterbug - 05-08-2012

i was thinking about this for a while now . . . how many of us have a "higher power" that is not necessary referred to as "G o d" . . .

personally, i connect to my higher power daily, sometimes a few times a day, short little meditation times to regroup, sometimes as i drive, i pull over and just do a few breaths . . . i was raised roman catholic and am non practicing in any religion . . .

i work part time with a very strict jewish sect and have taken a keen interest in their beliefs and religious and lifestyle practices . . . much more interesting to me than the catholic beliefs.

any thoughts? comments?

Re: higher power - jajewel - 05-08-2012

I am not religious, nor belong to any organized church, but I AM spiritual. I believe there is a higher power that we are all a part of....that all energy is interconnected & we are a small piece of that big ball of energy. I believe that in connecting with ourselves, we become a part of that whole.

I see too much f*ckery going on within the walls of organized religion, plus too much power, control & money in their grasp. I'm sure there are some good & honest preachers around, but too many hypocritical scum for me to give them any credence.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but it is just the way I see it.

Re: higher power - rootswoman - 05-10-2012

Im with Jewel, Jeannie B, Kurt Vonnegut, and Zigggy

I did believe in God as a young girl - but when i wanted Gods help at a very young age and it didnt happen i stopped believing. I envy people with faith - I have to work on having faith

Tammy - I have great respect for your beliefs as i type away on this forum of free speech.

Its a good day when we can state our beliefs - accept everyone for who they are and no one is piping in from the peanut gallery

i love you guys and i love this board . We have come a long way!

Re: higher power - rastagirl777 - 05-10-2012

Jitter - I am (as you may know) am Jewish. My Jewish identity has always been very important to me. I haven't stepped foot into a synagogue in over 10 years (when I was honored to read from the Torah at a friend's daughter's Bat Mitzvah, it was one of the most powerful things I've ever done).

If I was to put a "name" to it, I'd call myself a "cultural" Jew. There are various sects of very religious Jewish groups and I have some disagreement with some of their beliefs and practices when it comes to Judaism. I've studied the Torah and Talmud in the original Hebrew and Aramaic and some of how they interpret those doctrines in my view do not jive. None the less, and most importantly - I believe strongly in faith and spirituality in whatever form it may come.

I gather my friends, Jewish and non-Jewish on Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) and Passover for celebration. I've been doing this for close to 25 years - watched the children in our community grow with these celebrations and most importantly watched the Jewish ones form their own identities and as young adults they look forward to these gatherings - not from a religious stand point but rather as an opportunity to gather with our communal family.

Religion, faith, spirituality serves different people in different ways. For me its that sense of community, love and sharing - and of course, food!

I've never been into dogma. As a child in a private Jewish school I questioned everything - which is why I ended up leaving that type of education in the 7th Grade. The Rabbis I encountered there were more interested in the WHAT as opposed to the why.

I am a Zionist. I believe in the necessity for the State of Israel to exist. Its a tough one for me because over the years I find it hard to defend some of that government's actions. But - based on history I do believe a strong "Jewish" state is necessary for us to survive.

I believe in God. I don't believe in a vengeful God. I am not afraid of God. But I try to talk to him/her regularly. I find that its when I'm in Jamaica that's when we "talk" the most. I kind of had a "fight" with God four years ago but we are mending our relationship one day at a time.

With differing beliefs and traditions the one constant I have found in all religions is love and respect. If all humans could just have that one core foundation and work from there I believe the world would be a much better place for it.