The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol (/showthread.php?tid=46741)

Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - wandabeinja - 04-02-2012

So, in lieu of those HUGE jamaica air line tickets . . .I have found another option.
Staying in the country this vacation. ....

Key West - here i come!!

I would welcome any suggestions for good coffee locations while there !! LOL

If anyone has been to Key West, I would invite you to post here. Photos are welcome as well.

Thanks

Wanda be in a KeyWest mindset!

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - suzengrace - 04-02-2012

Had a good friend who lived/worked there-but its been quite a few years-so info may not be relevant/out-dated..I, myself, have never been-but it's another place on "my travel list"...
So I will be anxiously awaiting a trip report with pics when you get back..

When are going???

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - rastagirl777 - 04-02-2012

You know, I was in Key West once. I made the mistake of going in the winter. We rented a convertible and drove from Miami...the weather was in the low '50's and drizzling the entire time. I would imagine the Keys in general would be AWESOME in nice weather. It wasn't so much fun in bad weather. BUT - I did enjoy the chicken experiences (the chicken is their city's bird), sitting in a bar where Ernest Hemingway sat and visiting his home with all those cats. Its a cool little town. I have a friend that is in the process of opening a restaurant there but not for another year I don't think (maybe sooner). Have a great time. It looks to really be a charmer.

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - Pineapple - 04-02-2012

There is a lot of this going around. A friend and I had just discussed this same thing just a few days ago. I've never been to Key West -- just seems like the right time now that air to JA has gone from $324 in January to $800+.

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - Tim - 04-02-2012

I was there for day. Did the drive from Miami which is further than I thought, should have spent the night. Was a different kind of place, alot of freaky people around. I remember a very happening outdoor bar but would never remember the name. Beach was nice but I think it was muddy and/or weedy in the water where we were. This was 10-11 years ago so a little vague about details. I also remember there being street performers in the evening.
Somewhere I have a picture (like millions more) of me standing next to a marker proclaiming it the southermost spot of the United States.

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - Yvonne - 04-02-2012

Key West is awesome!!!! It's my favorite place in FL & I've lived here 30+ years. Because of the distance I haven't been there often, enough to know it's my #1 FL destination. It's no longer the place I first visited when I was in the Keys (Key Largo to be exact) for my scuba certification open water dive test 30 years ago this month. After the dive my mom & I drove the rest of the way to Key West. This was after already driving to Key Largo from Lakeland, where I lived at the time. Long drive. I love visiting the historical sites. There are many more than the Hemingway House. I always take the tour on the Conch Train. There's loads of shopping, even into the night, as there is so much activity. Mallory Square at sunset is a must do. Many outdoor cafes & restaurants. Last trip 7-8 years ago I stayed w/ my then boyfriend & his teenage son at a great little bed & breakfast. Ditto on my last trip prior to that one in '94. Each had a pool tucked into the gardens. If I were to take a vacation in FL, that's the spot. If I want to just do a veg on the beach vacation, I'd go closer to home. Can't help you w/ the coffee question since I don't drink it, never have.

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - Sophie - 04-02-2012

Well, Pineapple beat me to it. Yes- we were just talking about this. Cause there AIN'T no way in hell Smokey and I are gonna pay that kind of airfare to get to a place we have already been to 20 times. We have never been to Florida. Might be fun to fly in, rent a car and hit all the keys. I'm sure we could manage to do really stupid stuff right here in the states and write about it-lol.

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - wandabeinja - 04-03-2012

Suzengrace

Going in a couple of months!!! Can’t wait!! And hey, I’ll take outdated information!! LOL

RastaGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllll

Have heard about the chickens sharing space near tables in outdoor restaurants!
Some countries get geckos – I’ll now be getting chickens!! Hahahaha

Pineapple

I will be in Key West for 7 glorious days!!!!

Tim

Thanks for the information. I love street performing and any type of theatre/arts!
Have heard there are some incredible art galleries there!!! I plan to do a lot of walking and checking those out!

Yvonne

I DO plan to take the Conch train and familiarize myself with the town on the second day there!!
Will plan for Mallory Square and adore a sunset!!

Sophie

Quoting Sophie, “I'm sure we could manage to do really stupid stuff right here in the states and write about it-lol.”
Okay that comment gave me a REALLY good chuckle for the day! (makes me think of me) lol

Thanks to everyone for posting!! I am so excited about this trip!
AND I got it with frequent flyer miles so am only paying $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanda be in Key West w/ a beverage

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - wandabeinja - 04-03-2012

I am so excited about this trip!!!

I have been running mapquest from my B&B to all the spots I want to see!! LOL

Two of them are coffee shops!

I think I am going to HAVE to do a lot of walking for all the EATING I want to do!

Deb,

I will be back to tell stories abou the reach once it has happened!! Smile

Re: Key West - my Ja airfare alternative! lol - Jenny - 04-05-2012

Don't know about a coffee place, as I've never been there, Wanda, however......if you're a snorkeler, it's on my bucket list to go to the John Pennekamp State Park & go snorkeling there. Apparently a wonderful reef still at this point. As you may know, we're losing a lot of the reefs in our world for various reasons (of which we people are most of the cause!) & I plan to see it before it goes away!