The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaicaholic - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Jamaicaholic (/showthread.php?tid=46355)

Pages: 1 2 3

Jamaicaholic - Romae - 03-29-2012

The things that I love about Jamaica keep me coming back, the things that I dislike about Jamaica shattered my dream of ever living there on a permanent basis.

Macycoder, when i read your comment: "The things I love about Jamaica culture keeps me coming back, the things I dislike about Jamaica will always shorten the stay" I got a lightbulb moment that prompted this thread.

I love reading this board and as I have stated before, I love the spirit in which the members reason with each other. As Monk said "conversational".

I am a member of a few different boards that feeds my spirit on most things that have to do with Jamaica, especially, Negril. Avid reader on all of the boards, well one not so much *shrug* however, I rarely post and almost never start new posts or share much about myself. You guys have lulled me into a state of comfort lol that makes me want to share some of my thoughts, feelings and experiences in Jamaica, particulary Negril.

I am going to go with my vibes in posting, so as not to make this too long of a read I will post in spurts. Please feel free to join in with your thoughts and or experiences.

When I first set out to Jamaica it was for a fun vacation with a group of women. The women that I travelled with were going every November and the group was getting larger and larger each year. My best friend was invited by her next door neighbor to join the group and my bf invited me. I did not know any of the other ladies going but has since form several friendships that are dear to me this day. Two of the ladies from the first trip that I went on are no longer with us. Both, of these ladies had a tremendous love for Jamaica and travelled there often. One of the two that passed, died in Jamaica while we were there on vacation, not on my first trip.

My girlfriend was the outgoing one in our friendship and I WAS the introvert. Sometimes opposites do attract. We have been friends 31 years.

Here goes: My first step in becoming a Jamaicaholic

BF always wanted to go to Jamaica because each year she would listen to her neighbor rant and rave about Jamaica. Me, not at all interested, not to keen on traveling out of the country and especially with a group of strangers (all women).

Never heard anything negative or scarey, Jamaica just was not on my radar of a place to visit, and didnt listen to reggae music much at the time, Bob Marley and Dennis Brown actually was the only reggae I had listened to and only when my younger brother was around (Big Fan).

The trip was a total of about $400, which included round trip airfare from the West coast, airport transfer, 7 days at the Treehouse with breakfast included. (I miss those prices) Sad
We were travelling thru a Travel Agent and had to put down a deposit of $80 and I am guessing that the remainder balance had to be paid btwn 30-45 days before departure. We started the process during the summer so we had plenty of time to get prepared for the trip.

Once, I paid my deposit I no longer really thought about Jamaica. Never paid another dime towards my trip.

Re: Jamaicaholic - doctoro - 03-29-2012

Okay where is the settling in for a good read with a box of popcorn avator? I like your easy way of telling a story, please bring it.

Re: Jamaicaholic - jajewel - 03-29-2012

A question for you Romae....what year was your first visit to Jamaica?

Re: Jamaicaholic - suzengrace - 03-29-2012

Yes Romae-keep it going,am waiting to read more-and am happy that your here not only posting to threads but sharing your Jam story....

Re: Jamaicaholic - Romae - 03-29-2012

My friend tells me that she has finished paying for her trip and reminds me of the deadline date. She know that I am a procrastinator

About 6 weeks or so go by, I get a frantic call from my friend (nervous nelly type) reminding me that the deadline to pay is only a few days away and asking me if I had paid my balance. My reply (not yet) freaks her out. I havent shared with her that I am not really feeling this trip. I know how she will start to get worried that I wont go so I just keep my feelings to my self.

The deadline to pay arrives and now I really get a frantic call from her lol! "B said that she talked to S (travel agent) and you are the only one that has not paid!" What are you waiting on she wants to know, you are not going are you? She knows me too well! I proceed to tell her that I really did not want to go and all my reasons and she really starts to freak out on me, lol!

I had recently became caretaker for my Mom and Grandmother, they moved from my home state to live with me on the west coast. Big transition for all involved.
My youngest son was a senior in high school and has senioritis which was giving me the blues. I was in the process of a divorce. I hated my job with a passion.

She starts to list the reasons why I cant back out, who will she room with now, you will lose your deposit, you need a break, she will never speak to me again LOL!

After begging, pleading and reasoning with me, I am off to the travel agency to pay the last of my balance. She insists I stopped by and pick her up to go with me because she wants to sure that I dont let the deadline go by.

Re: Jamaicaholic - wit - 03-29-2012

more please Smile

Re: Jamaicaholic - wandabeinja - 03-29-2012

Here and awaiting more! Thanks!

This trip was planned for November 95, my mom and grandmother had moved in with me like March or April of 95. Dont know if I mentioned previously that the both of them had moved in with me due to their failing health. My grandmother moreso than my Mom.

Middle of October 95 my Mom was preparing for laser surgery. Her doctor wanted to make sure that she was in condition to have the laser surgery and gave her a battery of tests, did not like how she perform on the "treadmill" portion of the test and schedule her the next morning for Angioplasty, she went from his office to the hospital to have the procedure done the following morning. She had the procedure and they found blockage in her heart, she was scheduled the next day for triple by-pass heart surgery.

Now during all of this I am not thinking about my "soon" upcoming trip to Jamaica. I am overwhelmed by all that has transpired and praying that she makes it through the surgery. (all the emtions that I felt then have come flooding back). I felt like a complete basket case! Having moments that I completely broke down driving to and from the hospital, taking days off of work, trying not to stress myself out to the point where I would be in a bed in the same hospital.

The days are coming up that she is being discharged from the hospital and she is going to be discharged on Nov 1st and my flight to Jamaica is scheduled Nov 4th. What to do? What to do? Do I cancel the trip or do I go out of the country on a vacation that has been paid for, non transferrable, non refundable, remember this was thru a travel agency and little naive and ignorant traveller that I was had NOT purchase trip insurance.

Little Brother to the rescue (thank god he had a wife) Smile....They assured me that they would take care of Mom so that I could go on ahead with my plans. His wife was 9 months pregnant with their 2nd child and she was not due until after my return from Jamaica. I contemplated this but figured that since this was the 2nd baby she would hold off until I got back, after all her due date was weeks away. My brother and I lived on the same street so upon Mom's release from the hospital we just set her and grandmother up at his house. I was in walking distance so I was able to check on her progress out of the hospital and how they were handling her aftercare. They were doing great. Thank You Jesus.

They day came for us to head out to the airport, our flight was a 2 hour drive and alot of the lady's got together and paid for a van and driver to transport us to our flight to Los Angeles. I kind of caught up in all the excitement, laughter and conversation that my mind is put at ease that I made the right decision to take the trip. After all the drama leading up to the trip I definetly needed some ME time....although, I kept praying that my Mom would be alright until I got back because I would never have forgiven myself if she had a relapse while I was on vacation and in another country at that! My mom encouraged me to go and told me that I needed the vacation and she would be okay. Bless her!

Once on the road with the drinks flowing, some new friendships forming,laughing and reggae music pumping seems like the 2 hr drive only lasted about 20 mins. We found ourself at Los Angeles International airport to settle in for our overnight flight to Jamaica....

WIT, schuttzie, Wandabe and Debra, thanks for tagging along on my trek down memory lane.

Doctoro, I am planning on wrapping most of this first trip up tonight.
Alot of (life) distractions have come thru the door since I started sharing this morning. All good, I just put my thoughts and memories down better when I am alone.

Pondering also on how much I am willing to share, it almost like I am getting cold feet lol, remember, I have never shared much about my personal experiences in Jamaica and dont know how well I am doing at articulating those feelings, I have a tendency to ramble and get off track. The horse has left the barn so I will continue....Again, thanks to all that have taken the time to read and respond thus far.

We board the overnight flight to Jamaica. This airplane had a smoking section and my best friend and I sit in the smoking section. Big mistake on my part, I cant sleep, cant breathe and I am literally exhausted. Turns out to be the worst flight of my life.

After 5 1/2 hours we finally land, Thank You Lord, I cant wait to get off this plane.
The clapping and yelling starts from the other passengers and frankly I am quite baffled by it. I am thinking they are glad they landed safely? When in reality most were clapping and yelling because they landed in Jamaia. LOL! For some reasons we were the last to exit the plane and I mean the last. Walking down the metal steps I am trying to hold on to my bag and not fall and break my leg all the while trying to catch my breath as the hot air from the tarmac rise up to my face to take it my breath away. The hot sun envelopes me and truly I remembered feeling hot and stifled, guess I was still trying to catch my breath. However, I do recall a certain scent that I got, a different scent that was then and still is unique to Jamaica for me, a welcoming scent. The hot air, the breeze off the caribbean sea just something that I smell, I had this same feeling when I landed in San Diego, maybe it is the scent of airports? LOL, Nah, but I will move on because I am starting to ramble now. Smile

Some of us moved thru the airport and customs at a leisurely pace with the help of B, some of them raced to the bathroom, a few of the returnees rushed to get their luggage, I guess to try and beat the crowd, others watching in awe at the Ladies singing their welcome song, My first taste of Patois.

Hearing and not understanding at all the Patois from the bellcaps and their aggressiveness in trying to be the one to get your bags was a bit unsettling for S and making her nervous (rember she is nervous nelly) and it was beginning to rub off on me. Once we get outside she calms down a bit and my anxiety starts to settle down.

Finally, we are outside getting loaded onto the bus, again I am feeling the heat, but not complaining at all at all, because although it is really hot for November its a heat that is soaking thru my bones, the excitement, loosening me up, relaxing me...I AM IN JAMAICA