The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 (/showthread.php?tid=45993)

Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Jenny - 03-24-2012

This day’s report is about our last day in Treasure Beach. Mom & I have really enjoyed our room at Sunset Resort. Every morning, we laze around on our front verandah, have our coffee & tea, talk up a storm, read the Gleaner & gaze at the sea. Here are some photos from this vantage point:

Here is a picture of the wonderful luscious flowers growing right outside our door:

After our delicious breakfast at the Sunset restaurant (included in the price of our room, daily breakfast for two), mom & I went down the steps to the sea. Mom’s feet were still swollen quite a bit from the flight to Jamaica 6 days earlier & also due to the warm weather, so every day we went down to the shore & let her soak her feet in the salty water, which seemed to help with her edema. While we were sitting there on the rocks with our legs in the water, a “vendor” approached & started pressing us hard to look at & buy his stuff. This was the ONLY time this happened to us in Treasure Beach! But he was very, very persistent. Because he had kind of encroached on our space & time together, we started to get up to leave. When mom stood up, I needed to help her get her balance & footing & get her back up on the rocks safely. The whole time I was doing this, this guy kept at us, yammering on about buying something from him. I looked at him & asked him to please “back off,” as I was trying to help my mother stand up. She became flustered – her legs went out from under her – and she ended up falling down & scraping up her legs & bleeding. Now we were in a pickle because I know had to try to totally pick up my mother & upright her on my own & she was getting anxious!! I looked at this persistent “vendor” & told him to “really back off NOW!” He finally put down his bag of goods, he seemed to be feeling guilty about hounding us, came over & helped me get my mother up. Before that, I was wondering where his darned manners were, LOL! Once we got mom walked to the stairs, I agreed to look at his carvings, chose one & told him I’d be back with the money to buy it. After walking mother back up to the room & doing a cursory cleaning of her wound, I grabbed the money, returned to the seaside & bought the carving. I explained that I needed to get back to my mother, because she was hurt & we needed to really clean her up. He ignored what I said & asked me for a date, which really burned me! I told him that I didn’t have time for dates & besides that was married, that I needed to go help my mother, waved good-bye to him & trotted back up the stairs. Sheesh!!!!

After we got mom cleaned-up & put some antibiotic ointment on her legs, we decided to just relax & kick it by the pool the rest of the day. Here are some pictures from the pool area:

We stayed there all afternoon & really relaxed. The pool was great for Mom & it would be great for kids because of the raised area around the entire perimeter, which was deep enough to sit on & not get your head underwater. Mid-afternoon, one of the restaurant employees came on duty & brought her cute little 6 year-old daughter with her. She came over to be with & talk to us & she was a real delight! Very fun to be with! She wanted to get in the pool with us too, but mama told her not to. She kept on begging her mother to let her – finally, mama said that she could roll up her jeans & walk in the pool on this ledge on the perimeter of it, which of course she did immediately. However, I guess it was too much to expect this child to refrain from totally getting into the pool – I heard a splash, turned around & she had jumped in!!! Uh oh, I thought, mama gonna be mad! Little girl, however, was just having a grand time, splashing & swimming around. She asked me to carry her around & so I did. About that time, mama walked up, tsk’ed, shook her head & went to the car to get her a change of clothes. By this time it was getting kind of late in the afternoon, so mom & I told delightful little girl that we needed to go. I told her to mind her mama & change her clothes and to enjoy & work hard in school.

Mom & I headed back to the room to shower & dress her leg wounds again. We decided to have our last dinner on the South Coast from the Sunset restaurant, but right there on our verandah! I remember having the Kingfish, which Kory South, the owner, had caught earlier in the day, but cannot remember what kind of seafood mom had. Here are a photo from that:

After dinner, we enjoyed the sunset next the pool, right at the edge of the little cliff over the sea, where we had a commanding view. Here are some pictures from that night:

More to come on “the rest of the story” of that night next!

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - jeannieb - 03-24-2012

Thank you Jenny!!! Smile I think it is so wonderful that you took your mom on vacation with you! I would love to take my mom with us sometime and even my mother-in-law.

Sorry about your incident with the vendor. I feel horrible your mom had an injury. That had to be scary for both of you. I have an idea of who the man was. He is the only vendor I have encountered in TB that will not take no for an answer and it takes the locals to shoo him away. Even then he will try to sneak past their looks to get tourists to buy something. He is a crackhead and only talks about what he's selling. You can try to change the subject but the only thing on his brain is making money (so he can buy crack). He's very annoying and rude. If it's the same man, we've had 2 run-ins with him.

I loved your story about the little girl getting in the pool. You are such a sweetheart, swimming around with her. I love the pictures of your mom with the sun setting.

I really like Sunset resort. We've visited and had dinner and drinks there two different times. The view is nice and the staff was always friendly to us, even though we weren't staying there. One of the best spaghetti and meatball dinners I've ever have ever eaten, was at Sunset.

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Angel - 03-24-2012

Nice Jenny, sorry your Mom fell and that guy being an ass and not getting NO through his head. Surprised he helped you get your Mom up. Then asking you for a date after buying something. Hope you make it back to Jamaica soon.

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Sophie - 03-24-2012

Wooo-Hoooo Jenny!!!! I think I can speak for everyone(if not they SUCK) when I say I am just thrilled that you have come through your fight and reached a point where you feel good enough to finish your trip report. YOU ROCK! Oh and thanks for the distraction, I am cleaning out cabinets and reading this gives me an excuse to take a break(as if I needed an excuse-lol).

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - oldtimer - 03-24-2012

ERFECT !!! Jenny ...you are the greatest !!

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - rootswoman - 03-25-2012

I love your report Jenny but I did find it upsetting and disturbing to read about that bastard scaring your beautiful Mother .

I'm glad to hear there is only one well known crack head in treasure beach - they should run him out of there.

I'm happy to hear you didnt let that incident ruin your trip

I think you need to take your Mom to Isla Mujeres next time.

Glad to see your feeling well enough to work on this report
Great pictures - that pool sure looks inviting!
Bravo Jenny !!

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - BrenJaLee - 03-25-2012

Oh Jenny so glad you are back to your trip report. And agree with everyone else... that you are feeling better these days and coming through the home stretch of beating the "c". You are so blessed and there have been so many prayers out there for you. And that is because you are such a special person! It sounds like your time in TB was exactly what you were hoping for (with the exception of the rude guy). I'm glad you really enjoyed it there and that you and your mom had such a special time together.

Re: Trip Report #4 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - VenusdeMilos - 03-27-2012

like a breath of fresh air Smile

and you and your Mum are like peas in a pod eh! x