The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle (/showthread.php?tid=44928)

Pages: 1 2

Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - oldtimer - 03-06-2012

Wow on Bourbon Beach !!!!! still advertising shows that are no shows.People paying to get in for an "afternoon" show for the Mighty Diamonds and a few stayed ALL DAY !!!! thinking they will show up.I stopped in for a beer one day and the only guys there were a bunch of "cokers"...I think. Not a nice place with blue tarps out onto the beach and the unsavory people there. I tried to find the guy who runs the paddle board business (saw paddle boards,asked the guys there and they just shook their heads) ????
The Jungle...WHAT A GREAT VENUE !!!!!!! Saw Toots there WHAT A SHOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can a 70 year old man dance and jump for 2 1/2 hours non-stop !!!! He played a 15 minute version of Funky Kingston that was the best I ever heard.!!!
A real mix in the crowd from young people,a lot of Asians,old guys(lots of them),the rastatudes with their tickets,locals, just everybody .I would love to see all performers put shows like that on !!!!It's hard to believe that he was nominated for his 1st grammy in 1968.I didn't realize that it was Toots that founded the word "reggae".

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - wendy - 03-06-2012

~ oldtimer ~ wrote:

'"afternoon" show for the Mighty Diamonds and a few stayed ALL DAY !!!! '

we got there late, show was suppose to start around noonish, we arrived around 4:30 and the first set was just starting UGH. we didn't stay long, a few hours. not a good crowd. sat at the beach bar, did you see me OT ?? i would imagine IF you did, you most certainly would of walked up eh ?

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - oldtimer - 03-06-2012

No I didn't see you.We just hung around outside for abit but just knew that nothing was going to happen so we toddled up to Yellowbird for some drinks.The place SUCKS eh !!!

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - Jenny - 03-06-2012

Sounds like a great time, OT, glad that you got to get active there! What a night w/ Toots!

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - jamaicajane - 03-06-2012

please dont completely give up on bourbon beach. i am friends with a lot of the musicians who want to work and give good performances. we need to support the musical events even when they are going through rough and growing times. i did not go for the mighty diamonds but i did go for cocoa tea who ended up not playing, although capleton played instead. the big names require 1/2 payment up front which can be a very difficult thing for the venues to come up with.

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - oldtimer - 03-06-2012

anyone needs a 2nd chance BUT put a run to the bums that are sitting at the bar waiting for a "pidgeon tourist" to come in.the place reeks of crackheads".Entertainment is a hard go I realize that.

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - rootswoman - 03-06-2012

I have been lucky enough to see Toots a lot in recent years - He never disappoints- he is such an incredible performer - age does not slow him down.

I am so glad you got to see him in Negril OT - I can't imagine another musician that you would have enjoyed as much - he is one of a kind and he keeps on going and going and going -

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - Debra - 03-07-2012

~ oldtimer ~ wrote:

'Saw Toots there WHAT A SHOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can a 70 year old man dance and jump for 2 1/2 hours non-stop !!!! He played a 15 minute version of Funky
Kingston that was the best I ever heard.!!!
A real mix in the crowd from young people,a lot of Asians,old guys(lots of them),the rastatudes with their
tickets,locals, just everybody .I would love to see all performers put shows like that on !!!!It's hard to
believe that he was nominated for his 1st grammy in 1968.I didn't realize that it was Toots that founded the
word "reggae". '

Thanks for sharing this ot! I had no idea, of toots age, how he is full of life, and that he founded the word reggae. Learn something new everyday.!

It's too sad to hear my once beloved DeBus, turned into Bourbon Beach, and I can see in my head what you are describing how it looks now. I feel for the tourists that do not have a clue, as to the money they pay for the ticket, goes more than likely up in smoke under the blue tarp.

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - JonTom - 03-07-2012

Toots may or may not have coined the term.

I've read many books on the history of Jamaican music, reggae, ska, rock steady, etc.
Some give Toot's version of events (noting that his claim is to using the term 1st, not a claim of inventing the style - but all point to Toots' song as the first known recording of "reggay" in a known recording), others dispute it, and others list it alongside competing stories (Joe Higgs, Bunny Lee, D Morgan, etc.)

~ oldtimer ~ wrote: I didn't realize that it was Toots that founded the word "reggae".

''

Re: Bourbon Beach...the Jungle - VenusdeMilos - 03-08-2012

blah blah...its a musical evolution Smile