The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaican Lotto Scam - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Jamaican Lotto Scam (/showthread.php?tid=44045)

Jamaican Lotto Scam - jeannieb - 02-17-2012

I just read on On The Ground News that over 300 million dollars are being scammed annually from unsuspecting people.

I thought I'd share a story related to this.

About 6 months ago my husband's Great Uncle (who has always been well off) came to my husbands father asking for money. He wouldn't say what it was for, just that he needed it right away. He told him that he has money but it's all tied up in investments and couldn't access it right then. The total amount lent/given was about $4,000usd. The Uncle had always been good with his money so there was no reason to believe anything was fishy. Just thought that he needed a loan.

A few days later the uncle came back, asking for more money. My F-I-L asked "what are you doing with all of this money?" The uncle said it was personal so another $2000. was given.

The uncle re-paid the money when his stock money was released. About 2 months ago we received a letter from the uncle's daughter. She found out that her father had been scammed by the Jamaican Lotto scammers. She is now in charge of all of his finances and she does not know how much money he was bilked out of.

This started when he went to visit her in Houston TX. Apparently he received a phone call saying he had won some money and all he had to do was send a little to claim it. This went on for a while. She wrote in the letter that Uncle had even went downtown Houston and met this man in person and given him money face to face.

Uncle returned to Ohio and the calls kept coming. He changed his phone numbers 3 times, bank accounts too, without ever telling any family members. This makes me wonder if he knew it was fishy and/or he was ashamed for falling for the scam. He never told anyone what he was doing with the money. He kept it all very private. He is in his late 70's and seemed to sharp as a tack.

Please watch out for your older (and younger) family members. It had crossed my mind that he was being scammed but I thought that he wouldn't fall for it. Well, he did. It's sad to think of how much money the scammers got from him. I know it was at least $6000. and I know there had to be LOTS more of his own money they got. Very sad that they prey on the old people.

Re: Jamaican Lotto Scam - Markospoon - 02-17-2012

That is a shame.

I received an email from someone in Nigeria, trying to scam me.

Same thing.

NEVER SEND MONEY TO GET MORE MONEY.

Re: Jamaican Lotto Scam - BrenJaLee - 02-17-2012

Wow, interesting that your uncle is from Ohio. I have an uncle in Ohio that has unfortunately lost everything to a scam. They worked on him and even his kids warned him that it was a scam but all he would say was that he was going to be so rich. It's so sad. They lost everything. I believe their house (the house they've lived in for 40+ years and he and his brothers built) went up for auction a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure where he and my aunt are living but they are also in their late 60's/70's and now left with nothing.

Re: Jamaican Lotto Scam - Sophie - 02-17-2012

Was riding either to or from Negril one time and our driver answers his phone. We, of course, only hear his end of the conversation. He tells the caller that they have called Jamaica. The caller asks for someone and tells driver that they are supposed to send money and some details. Our driver tells them DO NOT send money, you are being scammed. He tried to explain that it was a trick. I wonder if they listened?