The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Big UP to ISNN!! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Big UP to ISNN!! (/showthread.php?tid=43980)

Big UP to ISNN!! - Jenny - 02-16-2012

Here is an example of the International Spay & Neuter Network-Jamaica's part in furthering the process towards solving the animal overpopulation problem pon de island:

SPAY/NEUTER CLINIC
FALMOUTH, JAMAICA

ISNN recently had the honor of conducting its fourth spay clinic for 2011 in Falmouth Jamaica. Falmouth, a historical town that now serves as a major cruise ship port, is located on the north coast of Jamaica between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. The spay clinic was held at the Elliston Wakeland Community Center which served as an ideal location for this community; lots of parking, ease of access for local residents, and cool ocean breezes that allowed us to operate the clinic in a comfortable environment.

ISNN was assisted by several local community members who helped to identify and secure a suitable site for the clinic. Several area businesses donated their services, including installing lighting and electrical in the community center, delivery and pick-up of a trash container, disposal of our medical waste, and discounts at local shops.

Many local residents worked alongside our staff to help keep the clinic running smoothly. Lunches were prepared and donated by some of the local residents and accommodations were secured at the local church hostel.

Over 300 pounds of dog food was donated as were recreational activities for the volunteers to enjoy during their free time.

A total of 224 dogs and cats were sterilized and another thirty more dogs were provided with dewormer. Eighty-seven dogs were brought in by four local rescuers and the remainder by the residents of Falmouth and surrounding communities.

One Jamaican vet, a new graduate, joined us for a day of surgical training. We also provided two days of training to ten Jamaican vet tech students that also shared the dorms with us. Everyone was pleased to have the experience and to gain more animal care skills.

A group of 20+ school children were constantly present for the first two days of the clinic. Several brought their dogs to be fixed and each participated in education activities that included a poster contest, discussions about animal needs, and distribution of educational books that cover such subjects as Animal Cruelty, Caring for Your Pet, and Helping Animals.

One clinic day was spent without running water as the whole town had the water shut off. But with the assistance of several local residents we were able to bring in bottled water, thus preventing us from having to close operations.
ISNN would like to thank the following individuals, businesses, and organizations that came forward to help us make this clinic a success.

Sheona Muschett, Mary Lee Caldwell, Anne Hyatt, Janice Harvey, Tasha Bogden, Wendy Lee, and Suzy Shepherd for the many long hours they put into finding a suitable location for the clinic, soliciting for donations and making sure all the small details were addressed. You ladies did an awesome job!

Andrea Heim and Brad Hanson for working so hard alongside us and showing us what the Peace Corp is all about. You are one in a million!

TankWeld Electric and Carpentry for installing the lighting and switches in the community center. Thank you for your generous donation!

Mr. Brian Salmon for discounting our grocery supplies at his shop. This really helps us stretch our meager funds. Thank you!

Mr. Cosma Earle and Mr. John Byles for donating recreational activities to our volunteers. Everyone really enjoyed themselves and it was a welcome relief after three grueling days of surgery.

Mr. Nashun Ricketts and Mr. Neville Black for donating the waste dumpster.

Ms. Elsa Summerville and the Falmouth Hospital for disposing of our medical waste.

Mr. Gerald Lee and the Parish Council for allowing us to use the Elliston Wakeland Community Center.

N Resort and Breezes for donating rooms and entertainment for some of our volunteers.

CariMed and LUPO Distributors for the generous donation of dog food.

Kathleen & Hervin Radcliff for providing several months of storage for our supplies.

Most importantly, to all the local and international volunteers that go above and beyond to make this program a success. Truly, we couldn’t do it without you.

We would like to thank the Pegasus Foundation and Humane Society International for generously supporting this program by providing the funds to purchase the drugs and medical supplies needed to conduct these clinics.

Last, but not least, we want to thank all of our private supporters who donate to the cause without ever seeing our work. Thank you for believing in us and caring for Jamaica’s companion animals.

A clinic was also held in Kingston Feb. 5th to 7th. Ocho Rios clinic will be late April to early May & then back to Negril for another clinic there in the summer!

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Lola - 02-16-2012

Wow that's a beautiful response in that area.

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Sundowner - 02-16-2012

I just love this so much! I hope I'm there one time when it's being held in Negril. I'd love to help out in some capacity.

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - suzengrace - 02-17-2012

Thats fabulous--Falmouth is close to my neck of the woods..so glad to see the response down there...

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Island+Girl - 02-20-2012

Jenny, this is AWESOME AWESOME news. One of the major things that has bothered us in Jamaica has been the attitude towards animals. This organization gives me hope for change and should definitely be supported.

To you would-be "Cat Wranglers", may I suggest that you arm yourselves beforehand with a long-handled dip (fishing) net and keep the kennel handy(entrance facing up) to transfer the cat once caught. DH and I have been working with a feral cat colony for twenty years (and spayed/neutered literally hundreds of felines) and this humane method has worked "almost" every time- oh, and make sure there are no holes in said net to drastically improve your chances of success! {{GRIN}} Lastly, don't forget a couple of pair of heavy gloves. Even seemingly "tame" cats will become frightened when forcibly restrained.
IRIE! *IG

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Sundowner - 02-20-2012

Yvonne, I don't know yet when I'll be there either. Probably would be June/July though. Depends on a lot of variables coming together. But if we are there at the same time, I'm willing to work with you on this. If we can get some staff and/or guests involved, all the better - we will likely need the extra help. I don't want to hear of any more kitties being destroyed at NBCC! Approx how many cats do you think we would be transporting (taking into account the new offspring)?

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Sundowner - 02-21-2012

My last cat, Chica (RIP) had anxiety issues from God knows what - she was a rescue cat. She licked the hair off her belly constantly. She was a beautiful black cat with a bare, pink tummy. Even after 10 years of living with me in a safe, loving home, she never stopped this behaviour. Cats might be stubborn little critters on the outside, but they are fragile & complex on the inside. I love them all the more for that.

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Pineapple - 02-22-2012

I should be down around the first of July and would love to help out with the cat herding. I have some experience. I've stablized a ferral coloney by capturing, spay/neuter, and releasing about 10-12 cats.

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Sundowner - 02-22-2012

So happy to have you on the team, Pineapple! I'm watching the airfares & hoping & praying to find a good one. We will stay in touch. M.

Re: Big UP to ISNN!! - Sundowner - 02-23-2012

Oh, my God, I love this picture so much! Can't tell me cats don't feel affection!
That's amazing work you did, P. - it takes a true animal lover to have the patience and perseverance to work with animals, especially feral cats. But love always wins them over in the end!