The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
question re: high food prices in JA - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: question re: high food prices in JA (/showthread.php?tid=43919)

question re: high food prices in JA - Sharleen - 02-13-2012

I was going to post at the end of the hijacked thread, then decided to post a new one. Food prices in JA are getting outrageous, even items like pet food and water...

I was wondering about those of you who live there, what are the downsides of having chickens on your property? They multiply like crazy, lay eggs daily...

I was all set to buy a dozen of so chickens for my place in upstate NY, but after a really horrendous winter last year, not to mention the fact that I am gone for a time to sweet JA, decided not (at least for now) to buy them.

But I would think that for people living in JA it would a pretty easy and constant source of food?

Re: question re: high food prices in JA - jajewel - 02-13-2012

for people living in JA it would a pretty easy and constant source of food?

We can't have chickens in our yard because of the dogs, who are not used to them (may eat them)....although we do have hutches for rabbits that could be used for chickens (wish Barry would get rid of the rabbits because they serve n purpose, as faras I'm concerned).....the chickens could be kept in those cages & we would have a food source...(not into eating rabbits & I've yet to see Barry sell a number of them for that purpose either)....ANYTHING is a possibility.

Re: question re: high food prices in JA - Jamaicame - 02-14-2012

I have the same reason as Cher....any chicken that finds its way into my yard is quickly a dead chicken. We have chickens in neighbourhood (like next door) that nobody lays claim to. Every so often a couple will end up in my yard. All but two have ended up dead. The three that I've been able to save, I've literally had to pry from the dogs jaw and set down over the fence. After they recover from being stunned they run off. I actually had one that I thought was dead but a minute later it hopped up and started running. I had to lock the dogs in the house and chase that chicken around to get it over the fence. I'm sure I was quite the sight.

Re: question re: high food prices in JA - BrenJaLee - 02-14-2012

I visited a JA friend's house once who had chickens. The following year when I saw him I asked if he still had the chickens and he said no, they raised the price of feed and it got to be too expensive for him.