The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaica dogs - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Jamaica dogs (/showthread.php?tid=43435)

Jamaica dogs - Jim-Donna - 02-08-2012

Recently Jenny and I have spoken about Jim and I helping to bring Jamaican Dogs to the states. Well Jim has brought up a valid point.
"Why are we bringing Jamaican dogs here, when our shelters are KILLING dogs EVERY DAY?" I am pulled in two directions. I would like YOUR imput, as I have much faith in all of your great out-looks on this subject.

Re: Jamaica dogs - oldtimer - 02-08-2012

There are LOTS of dogs that need help and care where you live.If I get another dog it certainly will come from a local rescue centre. I wish more people have that kind of concern.....good point !!!!

Re: Jamaica dogs - Jenny - 02-08-2012

Donna, I hope that you do not mind my responding here.....Jim certainly DOES have a valid point. I have volunteered for our local City animal shelter, animal rescue & cruelty/neglect/hoarding investigation for many years here in Arkansas. I will say that working with your country/society, region & community is a PROCESS..... Most of the United States is actually far ahead of where Jamaica is in terms of the process. Places like the Northeast, upper Midwest & West Coast actually receive sheltered animals from places like my backwards Southern state, which has "risen" to "only" a 50% euthanasia rate. Of course, that 50% looks better if you have been here working in the field & have seen the rate go from 80% all the way down to "only" 50%!! Our local shelter partners with organizations that transport dogs to those more enlightened states, that are further along in the process, through a "Going Home" program. There, due to education, spaying/neutering & adoption rates, they actually don't have animals languishing in shelters! And every dog that leaves our shelter opens up another space for a dog that would otherwise have to be euthanized!

I think the reason that I'm so wanting to help Jamaican dogs is because their "process" is in its infancy. They have BARELY started the "process" of spaying/neutering, educating the public about humane animal practices & adoption of homeless animals. I'd say that they're like 5% along in the process now! And so want to support them. Here is a link that'll help you understand where they are, courtesy of International Spay/Neuter Network - Jamaica:

(I just brought this up in YouTube & couldn't get the sound on it, I hope it works bc it really shows where Jamaica is in this process!)

Re: Jamaica dogs - wit - 02-08-2012

My Lady Tubbington (Marieka lol) is a rescued cat. I give to the Animal House in Jamaica. I also give $$ to our local Humane Society. Have been doing so for years now.

Re: Jamaica dogs - Pineapple - 02-09-2012

~ Jim-Donna ~ wrote:

'"Why are we bringing Jamaican dogs here, when our shelters are KILLING dogs EVERY DAY?"'

That's always been my thought about bringing dogs to the US. The amount of money it takes to get them here would save more dogs in our shelters. I feel terrible for the animals of Jamaica but I believe charity starts at home. I also feel that way about the American children in forster care and children homes. (But don't get me started on that.)