The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
JeannieB part 8 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: JeannieB part 8 (/showthread.php?tid=42938)

Pages: 1 2

JeannieB part 8 - jeannieb - 02-02-2012

Thursday January 26th

Goldeneye (sorry Wit), Woody's Restaurant and another run in with the Troll

Our hosts arranged for a driver to pick us up at 8 am. The other Italian guests that were staying at the house happened to be going to a guest house in Oracabessa the same day. Weird huh? We shared the cost of the ride with them. Since they were only going 1/2 of the trip, divided by 4, they paid $50 of the $200usd. The higher cost was because our driver had to wait for us from 10am-4pm. Our driver's son is a police officer in St Mary so he linked up with him and hung out all day.

We arrived at Goldeneye just before 10am. There were no signs on the road identifying the place, we passed it and had to go back. Once at the gate it was like Fort Knox. There was no 'just going in'. We gave our names and why we were there, I had to explain our situation to the guard and why we didn't have our certificate. The guard called to the front and a few minutes later, he buzzed us in. We were met by a super nice guy who showed us around the property. He gave us the grand tour and just as we arrived at the main bar, viola, frozen drinks were ready for us and poured as if on command. Before we were given our drinks, we were passed cold towels, on a tray, to wipe our hands. Everything was timed perfectly.

I will tell you all that Matt and I felt totally out of our element. Most people who stay here pay $1800usd a night. We paid $170 for the day pass through the Animal House Jamaica charity auction. This place was NICE. It was the nicest place that we have ever been in our lives. We have stayed at the Ritz in Cleveland once and this place made it look like Motel 6. For example, the restrooms didn't have paper towels or hand dryers, but real cotton hand towels. Even the toilet paper was scented and was hidden in these little mirrored holders. There were 2 pools, an infinity pool and a salt water pool. Everything was manicured to a T.

Matt and I finished our welcome drinks and went to the beach. We lounged a bit, surfed the internet for the first time in days, I checked FB and Jamericans, we swam to the island then we went to the 'wata sports' area and got some kayaks. We kayaked in the lagoon, around the private island in the lagoon (there were 2 islands), and went under a bridge at the back of the property that took us out to a public marina. As we were heading back to the lagoon when we noticed the security cameras and 2 guys zooming towards us on a golf cart. Guess we weren't supposed to leave the compound. Oops.

After kayaking we ate lunch. Matt and I both had the snapper fillet. $28usd each. Drinks were $10 each. We really tried to keep our budget under $100usd. One of the best meals we've ever had. Even the rolls were worth writing home about. Matt had a Cuba Libre drink and I had a Watermelon rum drink, made with a quarter of a watermelon. The service was above and beyond.

After lunch we snorkeled in the lagoon. Saw a 'sea 40-legger' and decided to get out of the water. We are wussies. Went kayaking again, this time in the ocean, over the coral reefs, for hours. Kayaking in the ocean was magical. What a trip looking below seeing the live coral reefs and looking up and seeing Ian Flemming's original home at Goldeneye. I went to the salt water pool, then took a nap on the lounger...which was memory foam! Each chair had it's own towel (you just left your 'old dirty towel' at the last chair you were at) When getting out of the pool, someone would come and lay down a terry cloth cover on the loungers for when you got out.

Pictures ARE worth a thousand words. See the pictures below.

I can't describe the awesomeness of this place. For real. Get this!... when we were checking out, we went to the office to pay our bill. We had racked up a $90 bill in 6 hours: lunch, 2 drinks and 4 beers. It was all included! No charge. Awesome!

Back to Drapers

The driver (who was awesome by the way, JUTA and all) dropped us off at at Woody's Burger place (at our request). It was about 6 pm, a 5-10 minute walk from our house. It was still light (barely) when we arrived. We ordered 2 servings of french fries, 1 hamburger, Matt had a hot Guinness and I had a cold glass bottle Pepsi. Dinner was good. Total cost was $970j. The owners of Woody's are the sweetest couple you will ever meet. If you pass the place, stop and order something, anything, just to meet them. They are fulljoy all the way. The burgers are good with lots of toppings including green bell peppers. Try it. It's good.

We left Woody's about 7:30 and went across the street to the store. We bought snacks and things to take home. We started the walk home. After dark...just us two....

As we are walking home, guess who comes out of the bushes...non other than the Troll. This time he was pissed (isn't he always?) He stopped in front of us, we walked around him. He stepped in front again and said to Matt "How you doin'"? Matt said "I'm doing good. The same as I was doing the last time you asked me". The Troll asked Matt "what you got for me?", Matt told him nothing. "We got nothing for you. We have no money, no drinks, no smokes, no nothing". And we kept on walking. He got in front of us again and he stared screaming at us that "we have no respect for him. That we need to respect him". The Troll made a gun symbol with his hand and put it to Matt's shoulder and said "give me something" Matt repeated that we had nothing. Finally we passed his threshold and he backed off. The really shitty part of this, that really pissed us off was that church had just let out and there were a lot of people around watching this entire encounter 'go down' and NOT ONE PERSON stepped in to stop the crazy azz guy from harrassing us. I won't lie, I was scared sh!tless. What do you do you do in this situation? Throw a punch and get beat to a pulp? stabbed? shot? Matt and I always carry pocket knives on us but they are no match should a machette or a gun be pulled out. It was very scary. What a way to end the most perfect, nice, relaxing day. ugh.

Back at the house, Matt and I were sitting on the veranda when Kris and Louie came back about 9 pm. They had been at the bar in the center of Drapers with Dave. Dave walked them back safely. Louie gave him a "tip" for walking them home safe and sound. After Dave left, Louie told us about their day: They went to the free beach in Drapers, next to GeeJam, a nice free beach. They read at the house, as it rained all day long in Drapers. They walked to the restaurant 'in town' for dinner. Louie took the mentally handicaped man to the grocery store and let him buy whatever he wanted, which wasn't much, just some crackers, juice and corned beef. Then they went across the street to the bar where Dave was. As the night went on, more and more guys showed up. Then it got rough. "ROUGHCUT" as they say in Drapers. Switchblades were being 'showed off'. A guy came up behind Dave and put a knife to his throat and said "I could kill you right now". Kris and Louie were frightened but tried not to let it show. Soon after that incident, they left for the house. We stayed away from almost everyone after this. Friday and Saturday were awkward days for us.

PICTURE TIME!!!

The bathroom towels

Ian Flemming house

Salt water pool

Dinner at Woody's

Driver's card. I highly suggest him if you are in the area!!!

Re: JeannieB part 8 - Pineapple - 02-02-2012

I want to be sitting in that chair on the jetty. The whole place is beautiful!

Were there any other people there when you visited. I didn't see a soul.

Re: JeannieB part 8 - suzengrace - 02-02-2012

Thanks for sharing Golden eye-probably the closest I'll get to it(LOL)..
What a roller=coaster trip...
Again, great pics

Re: JeannieB part 8 - Jenny - 02-03-2012

That Goldeneye place is something else!! ($1800/night??? WHO can afford that?!) Glad that you guyz got to experience a little bit of that! Wow....two islands!! The lagoon sounds great. Wonder if there's a likkle river that flows into it so that it is a mix-up of fresh & salt waters.

Then the polar opposite...The Troll! My goodness, what an extortionist/opportunist! I'd be really scared of him. Then to hear what Kris & Louie went through with the knife pulling. I'd be very, very wary & always looking over my back there. Pretty sure I couldn't handle it. Not a relaxing place, in some ways!

Re: JeannieB part 8 - sammyb - 02-03-2012

WOW LOVE the photos.....Goldeneye is beautiful, thanks for letting me tag along, I'm sure the closest I'll ever get is through your photos!!

Re: JeannieB part 8 - VenusdeMilos - 02-03-2012

a soundtrack for your pictures! Big Grin

Re: JeannieB part 8 - Romae - 02-03-2012

JeannieB, I have been following along on your trip report.

Beautiful pictures and scenery.

Glad to see that your group made it out without any physical harm, although the other stuff you went thru seem to much to REALLY enjoy your vacation. The threat of being robbed, harrassment by the policewoman, the troll, the beating on your gate, the rum bar fued, gunshots at the football game, the knife put to Dave's throat, not being able to go the bathroom alone, not wanting to walk the area without a guide, getting bored a couple of nights because it was not safe to be out after dark, did I miss anything?

Questions for you:

1) Why and how did you pick this area of Jamaica to visit?

2) What was your motivation for staying after being told that you were potential victims for a robbery?

3) Would you vacation (I use the word vacation lightly) there again?

4) Did the other guest have the same experience when they were out and about?

Although I enjoyed most parts of your report, most of the time reading about your vacation/adventure my heart was in my throat and I kept finding myself muttering What the &^%$? Glad that you all made it out safely.

Re: JeannieB part 8 - VenusdeMilos - 02-03-2012

Well it does depend on their age but for years now bc English is the official European Language all European countries have English as a compulsory subject in schools. For the most menial job you need 1st Profficiency Diploma which is actually quite a high standard. I always find it amazing the high level of command fellow "Europeans" have of the English Language. For eg. A couple of local telephone engineers recently came to fix something at our house. They were just run of the mill cable guys but spoke to me in English fluently. I remember thinking they put us Brits to shame. In England would you get a couple of British Telecom lads fluent in French or something? Haha!!! NO Way Jose!!! (I speak Spanish too Smile Hasta La Vista x x

Re: JeannieB part 8 - oldtimer - 02-03-2012

All I can say is "you guys turned 'hardcore" " and held your ground.I would have been Turbo 5 days ago,him or me mentality !!! Again I really enjoyed your writing !!

Re: JeannieB part 8 - wit - 02-05-2012