The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
JeannieB part 3 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: JeannieB part 3 (/showthread.php?tid=42792)

JeannieB part 3 - jeannieb - 02-01-2012

Saturday Jan 21st.

Frenchman's Cove and the meeting of the "troll"

We woke up pretty early. Breakfast was served daily at Search Me Heart between 8-10. Mainly it was toast, some sort of cake (wine or lemon cakes), juice, fresh fruits and coffee. It was a small breakfast but it did the job. We ate every morning at the communal table with other guests. We didn't talk too much since they were Italian and mainly spoke amongst themselves and with the hosts.

Today we headed to Frenchman's Cove. It was about a 15 minute walk east of Drapers. The road was wide and there was a nice grass berm so we didn't get ran over by the vehicles. The entrance fee at Frenchman's was $500 per person and $200 to rent beach loungers. Kris and I took rafts and the waves were huge. We were surfing the waves on the rafts, jumping the waves, getting rolled by the waves. For a few hours it was like we were 7 year olds. It was a blast! I like to think other patrons were jealous of our awesomeness but in reality they probably thought we were dumb and felt bad for our husbands. LOL.

We ordered lunch at Frenchmans. The wait staff was wonderful. Matt and I shared a plate of jerk chicken and festival. $780 for lunch plus 2 beers at $300 a piece and of course tips for the staff. After lunch Kris and I swam/rafted up the river. I snorkeled a bit and saw some fish and crabs. The river was cold!

We left Frenchmans and walked back home. Stopped in at Mitzie's bar for carrot-mango juice and chatted with her for a while. She was really nice and one person I will remember from that trip. I think she had a lot to do with keeping harm out of our way...more on that later.

We ran into Dave at Mitzie's and he said he'd walk us into Drapers center to eat at a local restaurant. I have to add here that while at Mitzie's this mad man was standing outside the bar, just staring at us. A real evil stare. He was scary. I asked Dave if he was a harmless crazy man or if he was someone to be afraid of. Dave told me that yes, indeed he was a bad crazy man and he might hurt us. great...

We met up with Dave after we cleaned up and headed into Drapers town center. The restaurant was also the town's headquarters for Cash Pot. It was jammin'. Lots of people betting and losing. I only saw 1 winner claim their prize. We ordered dinner and I had stew chicken and Matt had fried chicken. Served with the usual rice and peas and slaw. $700 for both of us. It was a really good, cheap meal.

While we were eating, 2 French guys came in and ordered their food. They sat at the table next to us. I didn't know what was going on but 2 local guys came in and started yelling at them. Seriously yelling. I was frightened. It wasn't normal loud Jamaican chatter. The local guys left and then the french men left. A local man walked them back to Draper's San, where they were staying.

The 4 of us left and Dave was waiting for us outside. He invited us to the bar across the street. We went in and had a few drinks. There I found out what the fuss was about with the 2 French guys. Turns out the were gay and the night before someone had seen them dancing with each other in the street. Dave told us that they were offered women and when they turned the women down, the local guys got pissed. I can't tell you how many times I heard in an hours time that they were going to murder this couple. I saw a few guys pull switchblades and act out what they would do to them. I was scared for their lives and a little for our own so we left. On the way out Kris and I noticed there were 2 men hiding in the shadows, behind the fence at the bar just peering over the top. They had been there the entire time watching us. It gave us the heeby jeebies.

We walked back home with the 'security' of Dave. It was about a 10 minute walk from Drapers town center to where we were staying and right in the middle it was VERY dark. No lights whatsoever. This is where the madman hides. He popped out of the bushes demanding we give him something. We told him we had nothing. Really we didn't. Matt would carry about 2-3000j on him and I would only carry about 1000j at a time. The madman started cursing and yelling at us, telling us we "have no respect for him". Dave told Matt to give him a smoke and he'd go away. Matt handed over a cigarette and the madman went back into the bushes. This was the first and best (if you can call it that) encounter but not last that we'd have with this guy. I nicknamed him the troll (amongst ourselves) because in order to pass his area, you had to fork something over.

Dave and the 4 of us went to Mitzies's one last time for the night. We bought him a half Q and a pepsi for walking with us. While here I had the little packet of seasoned saltfish for the first time. It's a little chunk of fish that goes really good with drinks. It's the equivalant of our bar peanuts at home. Before we went back to the house Dave said he'd carry us into town with him the next day, he had to go there anyway so we made arrangements with him to take us to Somerset falls also. $3000 for the day for 4 of us and we agreed we'd meet him at 10 am at Mitzie's. Mitzie vouched for him so we felt ok with it. A little spoiler, it turned out good. We went back to the house about 9 pm hung out on the veranda and then went to sleep. The music was turned off about 1 am so it wasn't too bad of a sleep.

Oh and after the drama about the gay couple, we decided it was best that Matt and Louie not walk together anywhere without us women. I didn't want them to be mistaken for the gay couple and cut up. This was the first time I have seen first hand the intense hatred for homosexuals that I read about. I know it's frowned upon in Jamaica and I know people have been murdered for it but jeesh...it's downright scary!

Picture time!!!

Breakfast

The walk to Frenchman's Cove

Gates of an old golf course

Frenchman's Cove

Obligatory toe shot...sorry ya'll Smile

The bathhouse/restrooms at Frenchmans

The restaurant where we ate dinner

The bar we stopped at with Dave after dinner.

Louie behind the bars

Kris and I had a drink of Honey Rum at Mitzies. It was good. Matt and Louie had a drink too until the local men told them that if men drink it, you're a "batty mon". So after that...Matt and Louie drank only beer and overproof.

Re: JeannieB part 3 - ohliz - 02-01-2012

Big waves at Frenchmans! I've only ever seen it calm. The river was my favorite there, especially the area where they meet.

The bathhouse was under construction when I was there, looks nice.

Whew on the madman and the homphobes...both scary. Glad you hooked up with some good people to help you out and show you around.

I admit it wouldn't occur to me to walk that road anywhere. I didn't even think there was space on the roadside towalk. I always drive myself or take taxis there, except right in town/on Titchfield.

Re: JeannieB part 3 - Jenny - 02-01-2012

Thank goodness for Dave!! Your "protector." The troll & a few of the other folks sound downright scary, for sure! The carrot-mango juice was incredible, I bet. Sounds like you all had a great day at Frenchman's Cove! Great pictures, Jeannie! Keep 'er rollin'!! We're enjoying it!!!

Re: JeannieB part 3 - mickey - 02-01-2012

lovin' this report jeannie! i admire those who try new places and things!! keep the stories comin'!!!!

Re: JeannieB part 3 - wit - 02-02-2012

there are some tourists that just don't get it at all and are oblivious to the lurking dangers
yup

glad no one was hurt. Thank you for sharing Jeannieb. Lovely pictures!