The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
JeannieB's Portland trip report - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: JeannieB's Portland trip report (/showthread.php?tid=42736)

Pages: 1 2

JeannieB's Portland trip report - jeannieb - 01-31-2012

Thursday Jan 19th

*We took this trip with friends of ours, Kris and Louie. Kris is giving me her pictures later so I will post them after my trip report.

We arrived at MBJ, on time, easy immigration and customs. Barry G. picked us up right on time. We were on our way to Jamaica Jewel in Duncan's for a night's rest before we head to Search Me Heart guesthouse in Drapers, a little town about 10 minutes east of Port Antonio.

Duncan's Bay and Jamaica Jewel

After about a 35-40 minute ride, we pulled up to Cher and Barry's house and were greeted with a smile at the gate by the owner Cher and the sweetest dog in Jamaica, PeeWee. Cher showed us around the property, our apartment which was much nicer than I had expected. For this nights stay we were in the downstairs apartment. The rates at Jamaica Jewel are well worth every penny. We shared the rental cost with our friends which made the cost even more affordable. Matt and Louie went into town with Barry G. and got some beer. A mixed case of Red Stripe and Guinness cost them just under $3000j. We split the cost and I thought that was a pretty good price. Cher started making dinner for us while we went to the beach. Barry and Cher's friend Qwamie walked us down to the beach and showed us the shortcut through the bush. I love shortcuts.

We talked to a few people at Leroy's, had a few beers ($180-200j each, Red Stripe and Guinness, respectivly) and I met a wood carver. Just the man I was looking for. I remember reading that Sprat had commisioned someone in Jamaica to make her wooden spoons. My Christmas present this year from Matt was a set of pots and pans that I can only use wooden utensils while cooking (before anyone starts knocking my husband for buying me pots and pans for Christmas...I had asked for them Smile ). Hand made wooden spoons from Jamaica would be the best souvenier for me. Everytime I cook I will think of Jamaica. I asked Don Juan how much he charged for carving spoons. The first quote was $3000j for 1 spoon. I told him I would like 2 spoons and I'd like to keep the price around $2500j. He said that was no problem, we shook hands but I was a wee bit worried when Don Juan then told me he needed $1000j first. I guess he has to protect himself too, in case we ditched out on him. (I wonder if people actually do that? Ditch out on vendors after they order something. I'm sure it happens sometimes.) Matt paid the down payment and we told him we'd be back the following Saturday and I drew a sketch in the sand of the size I was looking for. We wandered around the area for a little while longer and had Qwame show us the long walk home so we could check things out. When we arrived back at the house, Cher had jerk chicken, cole slaw, and rice and veggies waiting for us. Cher is a very good cook.

That night we were all up pretty late, sitting on the back patio, listening to music with our hosts and a few friends, drinking warm beers, looking forward to the rest of our week. The upcoming week would be new territory for us and we were all excited. Kris and Louie took the bedroom with the big bed and Matt and I took the room with the twin beds. We're not the Cleavers so we pushed them together and had a good nights sleep. No barking dogs all night long, no 15ft tall-booming-speakers next door, no roosters crowing...all night (I thought roosters only crowed at dawn?), no babies crying, no people yelling...it'd be 7 nights before we'd have another full night of peaceful sleep. Duncan's Bay is such a nice, calm, peaceful area. It reminds me of Treasure Beach but less populated if you can imagine that. Duncan's Bay feels pretty safe and I felt no anxiousness around this area.

Flowers in Cher and Barry's yard

Star hanging on the patio

PeeWee, the sweetest dog in Jamaica.

Fiyah

Walk to beach

Duncan's Bay beach

Boats near Leroys

Our group on the beach

View from Leroys

Urchin washed up

Sign painted on one of the bars

Stone wine

Me talking to Don Juan the carver

Walking home we saw this nice park area

Nice big houses are being built in the area

The bedroom Kris and Louie stayed in

The bedroom Matt and I stayed in

The dinner Cher had prepared for us

Another view of the boats by Leroy's bar

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - wendy - 01-31-2012

great start....although the photos are not showing Sad
says that they were either deleted or moved to photobucket

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - Sophie - 01-31-2012

Wooooo-Hoooooo!!!! A trip report!! Great start, I will be hanging on every word! Oh BTW--- ya didn't poop in public did ya?

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - Tim - 01-31-2012

With our next Jamaican trip being in that direction I really enjoy these trip reports from east of MoBay.

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - oldtimer - 02-01-2012

Beautiful pics.and great reading.

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - Jenny - 02-01-2012

Great trip report, Jeannie!! I love hearing about everything from your easy arrival through the airport, to being at Cher's, to seeing the wonderful dinner she cooked (she is a wonderful chef too!), to hearing about the peace & quiet there, to hearing about the wooden spoons you had carved, to seeing all these great pictures! The Jamaica Jewel rooms are beautiful & so neat. I cannot wait to read about the rest of your adventure!

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - suzengrace - 02-01-2012

Loving the pic of Fiyah and Pee wee-He's such a good dog (and cant forget Lucky either!!)

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - wit - 02-02-2012

awesome pictures ...vivid colours. LOVE the area. Cher's place is fabulous. Thanks for sharing Smile

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - VenusdeMilos - 02-03-2012

Super!...off to catch up! (oh Lawd Im skiving duties) x x

Re: JeannieB's Portland trip report - dreadneck - 02-05-2012

This is a great start to your trip report, JeannieB! Love the photos, you have a good eye, nice point-of-view. Looking forward to reading pt2.