The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye ope - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye ope (/showthread.php?tid=42731)

Pages: 1 2

Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye ope - ohliz - 01-31-2012

Soapbox: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye-opener

http://news.hjnews.com/opinion/article_811b8d08-4843-11e1-a11d-001871e3ce6c.html?success=1

It made me wince, but I think the author's heart is in the right place. He just didn't get to see much beyond tourist land, though he left his hotel.

Your thoughts?

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - Lola - 01-31-2012

his brush is really broad, LOL.

Here's a 'response' to the author's column!

http://news.hjnews.com/opinion/article_55c79c38-4c4d-11e1-97fe-001871e3ce6c.html

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - The+Roadster - 02-01-2012

This dude obviously does not have a clue. Anyone with a partially functioning brain who reads these words will disregard the comments of this uninformed writer for just what they are, his own biased opinions based on his view from the ivory tower looking down from on high.

I really liked this line "I was surprised by the joy and optimism of the Jamaican people, despite having nothing." Humankind has thrived for 4,000,000 years without flat panel TV's and 3,000 square foot homes. Is love nothing? What an empty heart he must have...

The beauty of the internet - anyone's opinion can now travel far and fast, even if it is wrong.

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - VenusdeMilos - 02-01-2012

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - wit - 02-01-2012

is this the 'irie' board?

excellent response JJ. I concur .

One of the people 'commenting' makes me lol. She just got her azzz flamed on her own board for 'generalizing' Jamaicans. I just SMH at the hyprocrisy of people.

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - Jenny - 02-01-2012

Interesting. I think he has a few very valid points. I remember a NPR report I heard about 3 years ago comparing the islands of Jamaica & Tobago, I believe it was. They were contrasting the two based on GDP; Gross Domestic Product & the impact that this has on each island's efforts at educating its people, of course, linking higher levels of education with higher socioeconomic status & quality of life. It made a lot of sense to me. I feel so sad about Jamaica's lack of public education (the extreme sacrifices that those who make SOME wages have to make to send their kids to school), which of course affects children's future earning potential & lives.

Cher: Dr. Mavis Burke is an amazing Jamaican who started this organization.

http://www.pacecanada.org/About_Us.html

I know in the beginning they were trying to get a hot lunch in all schools.

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - wit - 02-02-2012

Macy ...save the world? Blinded part is right yes Smile Loved your first reply btw ox

Cher, please open more links on that site. It's amazing what that organization has done. I believe they were the first organization to see the need for hot meals for the kids as for some that is the only hot meal they get.

Page 6 of this link breaksdown a bit of where the money goes with Pace:
http://www.pacecanada.org/Newsletters_files/Fall_Winter_Newsletter_2011_09.pdf

Re: Vacation to Jamaica turns out to be a real eye - wit - 02-02-2012

lol I agree Macy. Most will never know the 'real' jamaica or the real life of jamaicans there....thank god. Apparently the tourists think the 'real' jamaica is anything outside an a/i. lol. Ahh well so it go!