The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: St Kitt's..What do we know ?? (/showthread.php?tid=42493)

St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - oldtimer - 01-26-2012

about it.Any good or bad reports.

Re: St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - captaind on Zion Hill - 01-26-2012

Haven't been there in a few years but St. Kitts and Nevis are nice but I really prefer the Greater Antilles.

Big islands make rain = vegetation.

The other island I love after Jamaica is Dominique but it's so far South it costs a bunch of money to get there.

I used to call at most of the islands when I worked at Wray and Nephew.......

Haven't a clue what the visitor experience would be....

Re: St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - Sundowner - 01-26-2012

I spent three months in St. Kitts in 1993. I'm sure there have been many changes since then. It was very, very clean. Spotless, in fact. Nice people, generally speaking. The island is so small that it was easy to get to know everyone, from the local bank staff to hair stylists, grocery owner, hotel managers/staff. We knew almost everyone in town.

Very safe at that time. We had an apt. about a mile from downtown Basseterre, and more than once I walked into town after dark, along the highway, and felt perfectly safe. In fact, local people would stop and offer a ride and never would ask for or accept payment.

No beaches like Negril, however. There are a couple of beaches, but they are on the windward side of the island so you can't really walk to them unless you are staying at one of the large 5-star hotels nearby. The water is choppy, with big waves so, being a non-swimmer, I spent most of my time in my hammock, not in the water.

There was a great club at the time, called the Cotton Club, a short drive out of town. A few small local bars in town, but mostly they closed down around 6 p.m. On Sundays everything shut right down. You were lucky to find a restaurant open.

There was a large middle class back then - you didn't see much poverty, and I don't recall any begging at all! A few players around, but they were mostly into it for an ego trip, I think, not for money - because almost everyone was employed.

There was not a lot to do, and we would have moved on after a couple of months, but decided to stay for the annual celebration of independence, which went on for about 10 days and was a fun time, with parades, music and dancing every night.

Having said all of this, I did get robbed while in St. Kitts. My own fault for not being more diligent at the time. It could have been avoided. The night it happened, I discovered my wallet empty when I went to get a taxi home very late in the evening after a beach party. I had to actually phone a taxi driver and get him out of bed (they don't run at night like JA) and beg him to pick me up and trust me that I had money at home to pay him. Nice older family man - he picked me up, drove me home and waited while I went inside to get $$ for him (paid him very well). Then I listened patiently while he gave me a lecture on who not to trust in St. Kitts. Took his advice to heart.

This is longer than it needed to be, guess I started reliving some times from the past. Actually, St. Kitts is an island I would return to for a short visit. But don't expect long, sandy beaches with bars and restaurants - they don't exist.

Re: St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - VenusdeMilos - 01-27-2012

My cousin in the UK and his wife go every Dec/Jan with their tribe...4 (young) kids. They love it. From what I can remember from our conversations (they quiz me about Ja.) it is quiet. Plantation House type accommodations. Apparantly it remains uncrowded even in December. Peace and tranquility. Everyone is in bed by 10!!! Natural beauty in abundance. Lots of English Toffs none of ya riff raff like me Big Grin I can easily ask them anything you care to know, we chat on FB alot. So fire away...x x

Re: St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - Marie - 01-27-2012

My brother inlaw is from there and lets just say it has changed big time lots of not so good stuff happening there now.

Most of his family have moved to ST. Thomas VI because of the increase in crime.

I'll see if he would log in here and give 1st hand input.

Re: St Kitt's..What do we know ?? - VenusdeMilos - 01-27-2012

They film Pirates of the Caribbean in Dominica. We have been close a few times having holidayed in Antigua and St Lucia before Jamaica. We kept saying we would do it as a mini break within one of our Antigua holidays but alas never got there. It does indeed look stunning and I have heard nothing but good things about it with exquisite rentals, still on my list. Why oh why did we discover Jamaica? Does seem to hinder ones worldly wanders!!. We do have to go back to Antigua sometime as it was our honeymoon destination so perhaps we will do Dominica then. When Im 64!!! ;p