The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 (/showthread.php?tid=41956)

Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Jenny - 01-21-2012

It has been nearly a year since I added to this trip report; I apologize! I think I got busy with other things, LOL. So let’s pick this up…..this is about the trip that I took my then 83 year-old mother on in December 2010/January 2011. We are on our 1st trip to the South Coast. Usually I keep pretty good notes describing what’s going on during my trips, but I’ve abandoned this effort by this point. So, here it is, thanks to my memory (such as it is) & the iPhone pictures I took.

Every morning at Sunset Resort in Treasure Beach, mom & I took in the morning with cups of coffee (mom) & tea (me), just sitting & talking, reading and looking at the sun rise from the left (southeast) over the sea. Birds & flowers everywhere. It’s the civilized way to wake up! We were also joined every morning by the resident dog, Cutie. Here is what awaited us every morning:

After breakfast at the Sunset restaurant (just a few steps away), we boarded Captain Dennis Abraham’s boat & began on our trip to the Pelican Bar. It’s a nice trip along the coast & then you see the seemingly-impossible thatched hut “floating” on the surface a bit of a ways off the coast (you find out that it’s actually very shallow all the way from the hut on stilts to the shore there). Captain Dennis dropped mom & I off at the Pelican while he took the remaining passengers for a tour of Black River. Mom & I swam around the Pelican while our food, of freshly-caught fish, was being cooked. We dined inside the hut & talked with people who were also spending the day there. Although we didn’t get to see any dolphins swimming alongside the boat with Captain Dennis that day, we did see a few who were swimming fairly near the Pelican! Dennis is a wonderful man who is a very safe boat operator & can take you just about anywhere down along the South Coast; I highly recommend him. Here are a few pictures from the boat ride:

After our day trip, we showered, rested-up a bit & then walked the short walk into “town” for dinner. We ended up eating at a place on the right side of the road (cannot remember the name of it now!) that is right across the street from the little ice cream shop (which was unfortunately closed). We got there at about the same time a very large family group arrived & ended up sitting & talking with them. It was a large family from Brooklyn who was down in Jamaica visiting an aunt. These guys were a HOOT! I can’t even remember what I had to eat, but it was some kind of delicious seafood. Afterward, we walked with this family down the road, back to Sunset Resort. One of the wonderful things about the South Coast is that there were absolutely NO cars on the road on our walk back. Even when we did see cars on other days while walking, none of them were speeding, which was very refreshing. Very different from Negril! Back at our room, Mom & I made cups of tea & enjoyed them out by the sea, listening to the waves come in & out. It was another great day in paradise!

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - jitterbug - 01-21-2012

the resident doggie is no longer . . .

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - bozz - 01-21-2012

awesome jenny, just had dinner with my mom for her 75th b.day this evening...she has been to ja. once and i never seen her more relaxed and happy, as u and your mom do, bless

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - suzengrace - 01-21-2012

What a wonderful trip to share with your mom-she's quite the traveler....

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Sophie - 01-21-2012

Your mother is an absolute peach! I'll never forget her kind of holding me back and saying "You girls and Jenny go. Jenny worries about me so, I want her to go have fun with you girls while I relax and read my book." What a sweet lady, and hey, anyone who still calls me a girl is tops in my book!

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Dino - 01-22-2012

Morning wake up calls to that view are beautiful.

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Yamangurl - 01-22-2012

Beautiful photos Jenny! I am glad you enjoyed yourself and that you are in the process of planning your next vacation!

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - Yvonne - 01-22-2012

You & your mom are just so cute. What a great memory this trip will be. You're both obviously having a great time. Tell her hi for me!

What's the structure next to Pelican Bar?

Re: Trip Report #3 – South Coast – Dec. 2010 - VenusdeMilos - 01-25-2012

Noooooo! No one is knocking Negril! I was hypothetically speaking (my own thoughts). I, me, moi, ego would not knock it even though I dont favour it all that much. I didnt find the haggling overbearing, getting the husband to converse in Greeklish helped alot with that, which is probably why I am prepared to go back for another dose but there are just too many people for my perfect getaway, too busy and too pricey. Then our last visit was the other extreme, a bit too quiet for some in the family although very beautiful and dirt cheap. Treasure Beach does sound more up my street! Hoping to combine the two next visit. We shall see.....Smile