The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Rebel salute anyone go last week?? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Rebel salute anyone go last week?? (/showthread.php?tid=41708)

Rebel salute anyone go last week?? - LJT - 01-19-2012

Any pics if u did ????

I herd it was awsome got a phone call from one of my friends
While he was there !!!
Wishing we were there partying with them!!

Re: Rebel salute anyone go last week?? - rastagirl777 - 01-19-2012

We went. After skipping last year and seeing the line up this year we decided we'd go.

Did what we always do - headed out of the yard at around Noon, stopped in Middle Quarters for Pepper Shrimp then on to Little Ochie for dinner. Got to the show fairly early and set up "camp".

We parked in a lot we've never parked before and I have to admit I was nervous about that. Usually we park in one of the "off site" lots - so its a small walk to the venue downhill but by morning a long hot walk uphill. The reason we've never parked in the closer lots is because of the nightmare getting OUT of there - I've heard of it taking folks 2 1/2 hours just to leave the effin venue! But we went ahead and did it - the lot was brightly lit with several klieg lights, something I'd never seen before. There were lot attendants making sure everyone was parking properly leaving room so no one got blocked in.

If you've been to Rebel Salute you know the lane right up the gate is filled with vendors - last chance for chicken and alcohol! Well this guy comes up to us with a stack of mini-vesuvelas, offering to sell us a few, telling us they make a "joyous noise". Oy.

Getting in - easy peasy. I've could've smuggled in a case of rum. Security was quick, no mish-mash coming in. Well...my security lady squeezed my boobs - my friend Bob got his balls felt up. But they didn't look in the sleeping bag....

The music was great from start to finish. The "main" acts got on stage at midnight, starting with Tony Rebel. Before he started his set they did a tribute to him for his 50th birthday complete with those lovely paper lanterns - 50 of them - being set off from different points in the crowd. It was beautiful. His set was great too.

My favorite set was Maxi Priest's with a close second Stephen Marley. The only bummer of the night were those "joyous noise" things. People were blowing them all night long - especially when an artist started a song. Thankfully, they usually pulled it up - something that was always "strange" to me but in this case I actually got to hear what they were playing. Horns were going off throughout the song but for the most part people quieted down when the song was being played.

By the time Taurus Riley took the stage I had the beginnings of a massive migraine from those effin things. I took 4 ibuprofen and tried to wrap my head up in a sleeping bag. There were these guys in front of us that just were blowing those things continually throughout his set and I couldn't hear a damn thing.

The bathrooms were a thing of wonder. I've gone to Rebel Salute five times now - my first time being in 2006. That year they had what - 10 porta potties for 40,000 people? Every year its gotten better but this year the potties were plentiful and cleaner than the porta potties I've seen at music festivals in California! They had attendants, they always had toilet paper and get this - the women's potties actually FLUSHED. I probably should have hid out in one of those during Taurus Riley's set.

Luciano played right as the sun came up - always an amazing set - I just LOVE seeing him with his full band. Sunrise in Port Kaiser is always very beautiful.

The show did not seem as well attended as it has in the past but because of that I got to notice WHO was there. Many, MANY more white people - easily twice as many more than the last time I went (in 2010). Young people - reminded me of my god kids. But there were families there, children running about, young, middle aged, older...it was and always is such a nice gentle vibe.

The walk to the car took only 5 minutes and was flat. And by leaving as early as we did we avoided the new morning hot sun.

Rebel Salute is now Pepsi Rebel Salute. Their largest sponsor is the Jamaican Tourist Board. This might account for the clean bathrooms and general event organization (best in the 5 years I've gone) and when we left after Luciano's set (7:30am, the earliest we've ever left) we zipped right out of the lot - no back up, no traffic. We were home by 1:00pm (after another stop for Pepper Shrimp and to a gas station so we could all use a "proper" bathroom).

I will never ever not take Baby Wipes with me again. What a blessing - both for de-schmutzing after the show AND for hand wiping after Pepper Shrimp.

The vibe has changed - not for better or worse, just different. To me, its always been a great vibe there. They did a great job this year, the line up rocked the artists had plenty of time to play and because of that they have opened it up to a larger type of audience. It still remains very Jamaican and the food still remains wonderfully Ital (no squeeze cheese nachos!)

PS: As we were driving out we saw a fire truck heading in the opposite direction. Didn't think much of it. Turns out when Capleton came on - the "fire man" people started burning those "rasta beds" and I think something got out of control - that's where the fire truck was heading. Never a dull, I'll tell ya that.

Re: Rebel salute anyone go last week?? - suzengrace - 01-19-2012

Thanks for the report RG..But no pictures?? ..Isnt your husband a photographer?? I'd love to have seen some pics of the venue and the artists..

Re: Rebel salute anyone go last week?? - LJT - 01-20-2012

Wowza!!!!!!!

Thank u thank u thank u !!!!

As I was reading I could jus picture everything
Right beside you !!!

Jus loved it !!!

Re: Rebel salute anyone go last week?? - rastagirl777 - 01-20-2012

Pictures soon come. I've had back to back guests for 3 weeks and TONS of work (I go to NY for work next week) so I have not dealt with ANY of my pix from the last 2 months Sad