The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Cruise Ship Sinking - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Cruise Ship Sinking (/showthread.php?tid=41179)

Cruise Ship Sinking - captaind on Zion Hill - 01-14-2012

A Costa ship hit a rock and sunk near the Western side of Italy. Some dead ...some still missing. 4,000 aboard.......3 dead and 40 or so missing

Some of you know that I'm a retired ship's Master who drove Panamax ships.....and as such my mind is boggled.......

how the f**k did this guy do this????????

Just google it up... the vessel's name is Costa Concordia.....

They've just arrested the Master and first officer....jeez

Re: Cruise Ship Sinking - Debra - 01-14-2012

I saw this on my home page this am. I wonder how come they arested them??

Re: Cruise Ship Sinking - jeannieb - 01-14-2012

I've been following the story too. I know nothing about ships and have never been on a cruise but don't these ships have GPS, depth finders, and all the bells and whistles to let you know when you're about to crash into something?

I just don't get how this happened. Was the Captain sleeping? Isn't there a co-captian?

I also read that when the ship hit, the crew told people not to worry, that it wasn't a big deal. The lifeboats weren't dropped down in time AND the passengers had not yet had the safety orientation. It was to be held later that day.

So many questions. I hope there are answers.

I read a quote from one of the passengers that made me giggle (in the midst of this sad event). She said they were enjoying a show when the ship crashed, she looked around and the magician had disappeared. I'm not making fun of the situation, I just found this funny.

Re: Cruise Ship Sinking - VenusdeMilos - 01-14-2012

very indepth newscoverage over here, computerised images everything, but as you wont understand greek, this is the best i can find in english
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/14/captain-arrested-italian-cruise-ship

this next link is bit of a rag and will sensationalise but always has gived good photojournalism.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086831/Costa-Concordia-accident-Pictures-cruise-ship-sinking-coast-Italy-Titanic-like-scene.html

and I thought a good captain always went down with his ship!

Re: Cruise Ship Sinking - Yvonne - 01-14-2012

I've seen some coverage on this & wondered how such a thing could happen. I've only been on 2 cruises... my favorite was on Costa Victoria in 1999, Western Caribbean. It was a beautiful ship, classy (vs. tacky/glitzy type) cruise. I thouroghly enjoyed the 7 day experience w/ them. It was a cruise I won, a raffle.

My prayers are w/ those who have had to deal w/ this. I can only imagine how scary it must be.

Re: Cruise Ship Sinking - captaind on Zion Hill - 01-14-2012

Ironically I'm teaching a 500 GT masters training course and I really don't have a lot of time to post.....

Next week I'll be able to post a more detailed explanation of what I see....

regards

Cap

Re: Cruise Ship Sinking - DAWN - 01-19-2012

I heard last night that the Captain says he accidently fell in a lifeboat...sure he did. "