The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Walking the Beach - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Walking the Beach (/showthread.php?tid=40811)

Pages: 1 2

Walking the Beach - rastagirl777 - 01-09-2012

I'm a West Ender - always have been. It takes a visitor to get me down to Long Bay, as you know when I go to the beach I avoid Long Bay and head straight to Half Moon.

My friends have been here since New Years and anyone who is here can tell you that the beach was a fairly miserable place to be in the last week - whipping wind and sand, high surf, seaweed etc. BUT - ya can't come to Negril without seeing the famous "7 Mile Beach" now can you?

So - we did. Spent the day at Half Moon and ended it starting at Wild Parrot. Had a drink there and walked north for a while. Only had to say "no thank you" 5 times. Took note of other walkers/runners - there are the "strollers", there are the "determined walkers" and I even caught one runner. Had a roaring laugh - a menu sign was advertising "Lobster New Birth" for $25US. (I'll with hold the name of the restaurant cause I kinda know the owner and, well....).

Walking north as many of you know you have to walk through Tree House and then through Foote Prints. Well the lovely Miss Stephanie stopped us and "sold" us on having one of their Pina Coladas.

OH MY GOD. I've always said The Caves had the best Pina - they have been usurped. You want the absolute BEST Pina Colada in Negril? Have one at Foote Prints.

Walking back to the Parrot we all agreed that being on the beach in Negril feels like being in a completely different I don't know - town? - in Negril. So, SO different from the West End...from pretty much anyplace around Negril that we tend to go at least. Not good or bad - just DIFFERENT. I'm glad I took my friends there - they should not miss that on their first trip here. And I had a nice time too!

Re: Walking the Beach - Jenny - 01-09-2012

I'm a Westender as well, R'girl. But I always get down to the beach at least a couple of times every trip too. Typically I'll have a fellow boardie that is staying on the beach who nicely invites me to come down der to hang with them, so it works well. I always enjoy my time on the beach. Usually I take a route taxi down there in the heat of the day, but then walk back to the roundabout in late afternoon, where I then catch a route taxi the rest of the way back. It IS nice to have the "two different worlds" to experience in one day!

Re: Walking the Beach - oldtimer - 01-09-2012

What the hell is "lobster New Birth". There is NOTHING like going for a "stroll".That's all I do is "stroll'. I'm not one of those "everyday I'm schufflin',schufflin',schufflin' kind of "dude" anymore.I walk with 'no purpose" or "no coviction". ......pina colada....how "batty" would that make me if I had one !11! just askin' now !!!!

Re: Walking the Beach - BrenJaLee - 01-09-2012

I am so the opposite of you RG. Beach girl through and through. I found out for sure when I gave the cliffs a shot last reach (which we all know how that turned out). This past 16-day trip I made it to the cliffs just once - dinner at Catcha. I did go to Canoe twice but I don't really consider that the cliffs - more like an inbetween. The rest of the time I was a perfectly happy camper hangin on the beach.

Re: Walking the Beach - cebakes - 01-09-2012

How was the Wild Parrot? Did you stop in for a drink?

Re: Walking the Beach - Sundowner - 01-09-2012

I'm a beach walker too. Tried living in the West End for a couple of months last year, and discovered just how much of a beach bum I really am. Being the victim of a room invasion didn't help matters. I had a killer view from my porch but felt like a prisoner inside my walls at times. I didn't like having to pack up all my beach gear and arranging a ride, and all of that every time I wanted to be on the beach.

I love to wake up and be within strolling distance of the sand and water. And I love to people watch, so where better to indulge in that than on the 7-mile beach? When the urge hits for a change of scenery, I can get up and walk anywhere I need to go.

I do love hanging at Eddie's on the W. End in the evenings for a few drinks & some good food, though. So that works well for me - beach by day / cliffs by night.

Re: Walking the Beach - BrenJaLee - 01-09-2012

I meant to go to Wild Parrot. We stopped in once to try and have dinner but found out they only serve breakfast/lunch. Was bummed because the bar area looks REALLY nice! Would have loved to try the food as I've heard great things about it. Maybe they will be open for dinner during high season. It was early December when I was there.

I love the beach walks too and have to be close to the sand. I didn't even like staying on the other side of the road so much because I had to put on shoes. What a drag that was LOL.

Oh, and I remembered another time I went to the cliffs this reach - to DeBar for Sprat's yard party! How could I forget that wonderful night! Smile

Re: Walking the Beach - rastagirl777 - 01-09-2012

Some people are beach people, some are cliff people. That's the way its always been.

Back in the early days I went to the beach every day. Back then it wasn't nearly as built up or crowded or full of people asking you to buy stuff, lol. You see - I grew up on the beach. I've never lived more than 5 miles from a beach. I am the original beach bum!

But I certainly never felt like a prisoner on the West End. I love my neighborhood and all the little neighborhoods here. I walk around freely, get hassled NEVER and while I'm a "nervous" swimmer I do enjoy putting on my swim belt and snorkeling and bobbing around in the water from our cliff.

Now don't get me wrong - I love walking into the sea and floating in it.

How's Wild Parrot? Great! Lovely hang, nice cocktails, and a wonderfully large enough and shady beach. I actually have eaten lunch there (the BEST salad in Negril) and they are planning on opening for dinner soon in the future.

I love people watching on the beach too. Taking note of the different types of "walks" for example - like I said there are those who stroll and there are those who power walk and there are those who walk with "purpose" and quickly either because they haven't slowed to island time or they just don't want to be approached by anyone, lol. It was a nice time.

Re: Walking the Beach - suzengrace - 01-09-2012

I'm cliff dweller-well use to be when my friend lived there..But I get a little antsy..and I love to get up early in the am and just go walking-sometime all the way to Bourbon Beach area-and if tierd I take the route back or catch a ride with a friend..You notice and exp. so much more when your out hoofing it...

I too enjoy the beach but except for hanging at the boat bar I avoid all the activity and go the long bay public beach..for a few j's i have beautiful, natural beach with shower and bathroom near by-no higglers, no tourists-maybe some locals having a picnic with family-and if i get hungry or need a drink I wander over to Cosmos..I dont understand why more people dont go there ? Esp.if you dislike the 7mile crowd...and yes Half moon is really nice-but i dont always want to travel that distance..

I can see why you wouldn't want to leave your yard RG..What a great vacation rental...excellent location and the folks around all seem nice...

Re: Walking the Beach - cebakes - 01-10-2012

Thanks for the Wild Parrot feedback. We leave in about a month and are stoked!