The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
good vacation reads - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: good vacation reads (/showthread.php?tid=40684)

Pages: 1 2

good vacation reads - rootswoman - 01-07-2012

OK so we are taking this last minute trip and i need to download some books onto my new Christmas gift -the Nook -

What is your favorite all time book?

What is the best book you have read lately?

What book do you think everyone should read?

I'm looking for fun light vacation reading - i just down loaded the new book by the guy who wrote Walk Good as that was on my wish list -

Re: good vacation reads - Sundowner - 01-07-2012

Maybe not all light, beach reading, but page-turners, nonetheless:

Fave all-time book: Maya Angelou's autobiography in four books: "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"; "Gather Together in My Name"; "Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas"; and "The Heart of a Woman:.

Best book read lately: Jeannette Walls: "Half Broke Horses".

Book everyone should read: There are so many, but one I keep going back to every few years is The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Also Margaret Cezair-Thomson's "The True History of Paradise".

A great beach read would be "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson - love his humor.

Re: good vacation reads - DAWN - 01-07-2012

I too got a nook color for Christmas and loving it although I am waiting for my friend to give me a little tutorial on downloading books as I haven't even tried to do it yet. The internet feature is the bomb!

The Gift of the Sea
A Trip to the Beach
One People

Anything by Kristin Hannah
Water for Elephants
The Help
The French Gardener
Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt

Re: good vacation reads - suzengrace - 01-07-2012

I prefer a good book over the TV ..Just wish I had more time to read...All time favs too hard-would take me too much time to think about..

What i have re-read recently(which equates to outstanding for me to re-read anything) -though there not brand new:

-Shantaram- a guy runnning away from Australia and his adventures in India..

-The Correcections-by Jonathan Franzen...All round excellent

Both are pretty weighty books (ie long) ...

and always get a good laugh from anything that Davaid Sedaris writes-witty and funny as hell..

and also a good laugh from anyone of the travel books by Bill Bryson....

Re: good vacation reads - rastagirl777 - 01-07-2012

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk
and
Negril, Reggae, Riots and Romance by Roberta Raigh Pryor:
http://www.amazon.com/NEGRIL-Reggae-Riots-Romance-Roberta/dp/0615483283

Re: good vacation reads - Jenny - 01-07-2012

Definitely, "The Choiring of the Trees," by Donald Harington. No, this is not a book having anything remotely to do with the Caribbean, or the sea, or Jamaica. It is just hands-down, by far, the BEST book I've ever read! It is set back in the earlier part of the 20th century in Arkansas. The author is a local man who was brought up in rural Arkansas whose parents moved the family to the Northeast, but he continued to spend his summers w/ his grandparents in rural Arkansas. Extremely compelling story about a man who is wrongly accused of a rape & what all he goes through to try to clear his name. It co-stars a young female newspaper reporter (pretty unusual in that era) who befriends him. I won't say any more....

Re: good vacation reads - rootswoman - 01-07-2012

Thank you guys !
I have read a lot of the titles - however - there are plenty that I haven't read -
I need to go do price searches - ill let you know how it works out.

Dawn - Nook is really easy - charge it and turn it on - sign up for an account with barns and noble - you will have to give a credit card number but you will only be charged for what you buy - no monthly fee or anything like that. There is a tutorial that is real simple - very user friendly -
There are over one million free books and many cheap books - you can get free samples of about 30-40 pages to see if you like the authors style -

you can make the font bigger - i really like that feature -

Re: good vacation reads - VenusdeMilos - 01-08-2012

My neice in the UK is a real little bookworm and she was reading from a Kindle last time we were there. I suggested one for my eldest daughter who loves to read but she is very anti the idea saying she loves the smell of books and holding a book which a Kindle or Nook would deprive her of. I wonder if others feel the same, how do they compare? She also, like me, loves bookshops. Last time we were in London I took her to Foyles and we were in there for hours. She loved the vastness and variety of the teenage section as here in Greece they dont have so many titles. She has just finished reading Wuthering Heights in Greek which is a bit mindboggling. She tried reading Twilight some years ago in English before it was published in Greek and found it too much hard work and never finished it much to my dissapointment.

Wuthering Heights is a beautiful read.

I know its a bit old and the film is out but I recentley read the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo and enjoyed it very much.

Im writing a book, I just need lots of time and self discipline to finish the damn thing. The last 3rd of the book is set in Jamaica. So whenever Im waffling too much on here...please yell at me .....'GET OFF THE BOARD AND WRITE YOUR BOOK'....! x x Love Everytime for 2012 x x

Re: good vacation reads - skyjuice - 01-08-2012

I read Roberta's book and really enjoyed it. I'm waiting for the sequel. I didn't like Walk Good, not that it isn't a good read just MPO. (probably I am the only one )
If you like to read my suggestion would be "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" by Italo Calvino.

Re: good vacation reads - Yvonne - 01-08-2012

One People is a must read. I also like Anthony Winkler's books, especially Going Home to Teach. For light, fun, laugh out loud reading, any of the Stephanie Plum (number series) by Janet Evanovich. Light, entertaining reading.