The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" (/showthread.php?tid=39686)

Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - oldtimer - 12-29-2011

When were they...hehehe I started working on a fishing boat at 14 and between that,getting a trade,working all around the world,fishing,working,raising a family,fishing etc. It took me 43 years to have a true vacation. !!!!! Fishing is what stolled my heart.!!!! I love the sea but it took a big toll sometimes.Small boat ,big seas !!!! not a good combo !!! Most excitment at sea...We were dragging scallops in The Money Maker and my shaft twisted when trying to get out of the perfect storm.It took about 20 hours to repair in 25 foot seas in a 45 ft boat.It pushed us backwards 80 miles with no control of The Money Maker at all.THEN !!!! did we have enough fuel ???? Well I guess we did...but I looked like I just went 3 rounds of UFC fighting and LOST !!!!! I was black and blue for 2 weeks.And yes I am talking about The Perfect Storm...but I was 3 hundred miles from the centre BUT !!!! it was intense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Fishin' ain't no job..it's a life style.This is year 50 BUT I am now retired.....I think. The 2 things I have learned are 1. there is no such thing as can't. 2. NEVER !!!!!! trust anyone that finished a sentence with the word "but".

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - Jim-Donna - 12-29-2011

You are BRAVE~~!! The sea scares me.

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - captaind on Zion Hill - 12-29-2011

~ oldtimer ~ wrote:

'It took about 20 hours to repair in 25 foot seas in a 45 ft boat.'

Man I've got a heap of respect for you guys in those little fishing vessels.

I'll take my Panamax any day. Even at 55,000 GT I've had times when we got our asses kicked.

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - wit - 12-29-2011

love the story thanks for sharing Smile

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - Rastapher - 12-29-2011

Kudos OT! You can remember back that far.........lol... Jk.

That is one hell of a tough life you lived OT, my hat is off to you.

My claim to fame is keg wrestling for the last 18 yrs...... Snow, sleet, ice and rain.......add that to wet greasy wooden stairs that are falling apart with a 170 lb keg dragging you down it....beats drowning......my hat is off!

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - oldtimer - 12-31-2011

Putting all jokes aside....I would rather have memories of working too hard and too long than looking over my shoulder like Mosgrove has to.That would be REAL WORK !!!!!!

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - suzengrace - 12-31-2011

Much respect to you "Salty Dogs".....I bet you two have many wonderful sea stories to tell...

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - rootswoman - 12-31-2011

Wow, OT - that's one hell of a story. I have the utmost respect for fisherman despite the fact that you are all a little nuts.

So how did Christmas at the Kids go?

Re: Capt mentioned "the good ole days" - oldtimer - 12-31-2011

Thank you Capt !!! We did the "high end"