The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights (/showthread.php?tid=39212)

Pages: 1 2

Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - medi - 12-22-2011

This is a pretty significant development, I'd say, and kudos to her!

"In a moment described as ‘historic’ by activists, the Jamaican opposition leader has come out for LGBT rights during an election debate.

Jamaicans will go to the polls on December 29 and People’s National Party leader Portia Simpson-Miller made the positive comments during an election debate yesterday with Prime Minister Andrew Holness.

Simpson Miller also said that no one should be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation and that if elected Prime Minister, she would review the anti-gay buggery law.

She said that she would have no problem with appointing gays to her Cabinet.

Former Prime Minister Bruce Golding famously told the BBC in 2008 that he would never appoint a gay person to his cabinet.

Responding to the same question, Holness articulated the need for Jamaica to achieve minimum standards governing human rights and suggested that such steps were being taken through measures such as the passage of the Bill of Rights. He has previously argued that gay rights are civil rights, not human rights, and therefore not covered by international human rights instruments.

He added that any change to the existing legislation should be made on the basis of due consideration to the views of the people.

“We are an open society and the issues that are difficult and uncomfortable to discuss, as the society progresses, these issues are being discussed. People are entitled to their opinions but as leader of the country I have to respect everybody’s opinion (and) make sure that the institutions of freedom are well in place so that the debate can continue,” said Holness.

Historic: Jamaican Opposition Leader Backs Gay Rights (Video)

by Paul Canning
December 21, 2011
2:30 pm

8 comments Historic: Jamaican Opposition Leader Backs Gay Rights (Video)

Facebook
Reddit
StumbleUpon
Digg
Text Size: A | A | A | A

In a moment described as ‘historic’ by activists, the Jamaican opposition leader has come out for LGBT rights during an election debate.

Jamaicans will go to the polls on December 29 and People’s National Party leader Portia Simpson-Miller made the positive comments during an election debate yesterday with Prime Minister Andrew Holness.

Simpson Miller also said that no one should be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation and that if elected Prime Minister, she would review the anti-gay buggery law.

She said that she would have no problem with appointing gays to her Cabinet.

Former Prime Minister Bruce Golding famously told the BBC in 2008 that he would never appoint a gay person to his cabinet.

Responding to the same question, Holness articulated the need for Jamaica to achieve minimum standards governing human rights and suggested that such steps were being taken through measures such as the passage of the Bill of Rights. He has previously argued that gay rights are civil rights, not human rights, and therefore not covered by international human rights instruments.

He added that any change to the existing legislation should be made on the basis of due consideration to the views of the people.

“We are an open society and the issues that are difficult and uncomfortable to discuss, as the society progresses, these issues are being discussed. People are entitled to their opinions but as leader of the country I have to respect everybody’s opinion (and) make sure that the institutions of freedom are well in place so that the debate can continue,” said Holness.

The People’s National Party (which is in Opposition and trailing in the polls) has selected a non-gender conforming candidate who has been the subject of a barely veiled homophobic campaign by the ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).

Jamaican LGBT rights group J-FLAG has written to the JLP complaining about this tactic.

The PNP has selected another candidate for the traditionally “safe seat” of the tourist resort city of Montego Bay who is rumored to be gay."

The rest of the article and the video can be found here:

http://www.care2.com/causes/historic-jamaican-opposition-leader-backs-gay-rights-video.html

Re: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - jajewel - 12-22-2011

I would give her "thumbs up" for that statement, but wondering how it will fly in Jamaica?....mi know how people stay here....

Re: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - rastagirl777 - 12-23-2011

While Negril can be an anomaly with regards to "typical" Jamaican culture it is still well known that homosexuals are persona non grata - so much so that there is always a chance that an openly gay man (not so much woman) could be physically harmed.

As far as politics, its been interesting being a "wide eyed" bystander during this time. I've seen and heard motorcades go by and have had some interesting discussions with some of my Jamaican friends regarding the parties and the candidates. I am sitting deep within PNP Country here in Negril and while not IN Negril in Orange Bay, Hanover etc. one sees the orange flags waving from utility poles - there is a big orange flag banner at the road going up into either Rhodes Hall or Orange Bay (I forget).

What I won't be doing in the next two weeks is taking any trips into Sav or MoBay - no need to nor any desire to. My friends land on the 30th, thank god and I am told everything will be settled and fine that day.

I am surprised though to learn how many registered voters here will NOT be voting. While I have my opinions on that I keep them to myself. I wouldn't want some foreigner preaching to me about voting in my own country so I certainly will not do that here.

Re: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - suzengrace - 12-23-2011

Maybe in a far-off Galaxy theres a place called Jamaica where homosexuality will soon be openly tolerated-but here on planet earth in 2012 ...No way....

And yes- its more prevalent in Negril than one may expect..I know quite a few gay men and women who really dont hide the fact...but thats Negril-out in da country different story..

And I've always encouraged people to vote in Jam...(as well as everywhere else in the world where one has the right)Never had any backlash-a lot of colorful conversations and debates for sure-but never any attitude...Democracy is a worldwide issue its something people have and will continue to give there lives for..

Re: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - wit - 12-23-2011

ahhh closet gays....= AIDS epidemic Sad

In Negril there are many 'players' that don't care what gender you are...they will have sex for money PERIOD.

With the rampant church abuse of minors I would hate to see this law abolished. One of the MAIN reasons it's there is to try and protect the CHILDREN.

Himself will not vote anymore. He changed parties (against the grain ) and it mattered not. He says it doesn't matter who is in power cause once they have that power they too forget where they came from and the corruption doesn't end. Sad

don't get me wrong, I would love to see gay people be able to LIVE and be out in Jamaica.

BUT, there are more children being abused in the disguise of the church than there are gays being killed imo. THIS law allows the pedophiles to be jailed for buggery (little boys).

I agree Medi. My thoughts and prayers go to the CHILDREN as they are defenseless. Sad

Too many things going on against them...kidnappings, 12 year olds pregnant, buggery. It's not a nice life for too many of them.

Re: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - suzengrace - 12-23-2011

Thanks Medi and Wit for stating my thoughts exactly.....Anyone who's pretty much defenseless and is taken advantage of-well it enrages me to say the least (children,elderly,disabled,etc)..

I agree with your friend Jeannieb. Why is it not accepted? IMO there are a few reasons....one is religion, they quote the bible often that relations are between a man and a woman. One is the social component. One is FEAR. And frankly a large one is ignorance and their culture. There are MANY 1950's type thinkers in Jamaica. Women should cook, clean and screw. Men aren't raised to do anything. It's ok for men to have multiple babies with multiple women etc. Men are 'kings'. VERY undeveloped thinking. It's alive and well there don't even kid yourselves.

In my situation my best friend there is a complete homophobe. Himself (who has traveled and lived abroad) could care less about who is gay and who isn't.

It's a dear subject for me as my best friend here is gay.

Re: Portia Miller Backs Gay Rights - rastagirl777 - 12-23-2011

"To me, if nothing else, that vote means my right to bitch."
Yeah ya got that right!