The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Christmas ah Yaad - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Christmas ah Yaad (/showthread.php?tid=37488)

Christmas ah Yaad - jajewel - 12-04-2011

I thought it might be "timely" to jot down a few of my impressions of how the Christmas season in Jamaica differs from what we are used to in N. America....

It's true, everyone is looking for extra money as the holiday season approaches, but not so much for presents but more for a new set of clothes and/or shoes to "show off" at holiday time....also to buy nuff food stuffs & liquor for holiday partying....time to bake a black rum cake (similar to our fruitcake but blacker & soaked with rum & wine)....

Time to make "sorrell"....got mine made already! If anyone is not familiar with it, it is a holiday drink, made from a flower that is in the hibiscus "family" & tastes something like Red Zinger tea. The fresh "flowers" are brought to a boil in water & then steeped overnight, along with nuff grated ginger. Next day, pour out through a strainer, sweeten & add Ja. Red Label wine & overproof, if wanted....can also drink with no alcohol too!

Nuff folks do a "Christmas cleaning" of their house & yard, just like we do "spring cleaning"! Time to get any painting & fixing done.....time to paint the bottom of the tree trunks white (never did this & always wondered if there was actually a purpose for it)....if anyone knows, let ME know.

Plenty parties start when Dec. arrives & intensify for Christmas & New Years weeks....Jamaica really becomes "party central" during the holidays. The first holiday I spent with my hubby, I almost didn't make it through those two weeks because it was just CONSTANT party EVERY night!....gettin too old fi dat!

You will find folks coming around to ask if you have extra work for them to earn a likkle extra "change" for their holiday purchases.....or maybe using Christmas as an excuse to beg a money....hopefully not too much teifin a gwan!

For those who eat pork & can afford a ham, I'm sure one will be purchased for holiday dinners....otherwise, nuff chicken, goat& fish will be cookin along with rice & peas, baked macaroni & cheese, potato salad and of course mannish wata (not in my house though!!)

Christmas breeze a blow & nuff Yardies will don their "hoodies" & winter garb, (time to "pad up" as Barry would say) while all the farriners will be breathing a sigh of relief & pleasure while enjoying the "slightly" cooler temps & lovely balmy breezes!

It is truly a pleasure not to get bombarded by constant TV commercials about Christmas sales or to feel pressured to venture out in cold & nasty weather to brave the crowds to get all that gift shopping done....I for one, do not miss the weather or the shopping crowds!! Have a wonderful holiday season ALL!!!

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - Tammy - 12-04-2011

Christmas Ah Yaad sounds wonderful JJ. I spent one Christmas there in Grange Hill and yes it was wonderful but just not the same for me. Even though my Son was with me and we had a wonderful time I just missed the Tree, the cold, and mostly my Family (even though they can be a hand full). I said then I would never spend Christmas there again unless the day come where they all can come with me. LOL

I used to do the hustle a bustle shopping thing but I stopped that several years ago when God taught me a valuable lesson and showed me what life was really about whether that be Christmas time or mid summer. My thoughts now are much like Jamaicans in that it's about loved one's, plenty food to share, laughter to share, Love to spread, and a Merry Christmas or a Wonderful Day to all. I'm now grateful for the life I have and all that "HE" has provided me. I'm finally content in life whether I'm broke or have a likkle to spend. Now my grandbabies always get something and I do stress about that a weee bit as I want to know what they want so I can get it. Wink I wish I hadn't wasted so many years searching for what I already had but I guess that is what we do a lot of the time.

I would love to bring my Sister to Jamaica the day after Christmas to bring in the NY and just let her hair down. Have to knock her out to get her on the plane though. LOL

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - suzengrace - 12-04-2011

Sounds wonderful JJ...Going have to try to make it there during the holidays one year..The whole "commercialization"of the holidays here in the states makes me cringe..I try to spend some quality time with friends/family -thats what its about for me.

I will have to say this time of year here in S. Cali is my favorite..Its picture perfect today- winds have made the air clear/clean and the hills are now green from the recent rains..and the weather is 65 deg.. Perfect to be out gardening.(and not shopping ..lol)

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - Tim - 12-04-2011

I love spending Christmas and NewYears in Jamaica. Not this year though, gonna be hanging at the in-laws. So instead of being relaxed and having a good time, get to listen to the sisters and brother in law drama festival.

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - Yvonne - 12-04-2011

That sounds so wonderful. Traditions... wonderful things. I've enjoyed New Years in JA but never Xmas.

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - macyoder - 12-04-2011

I haven't spent Christmas in Jamaica since I left, over 30 years ago. What I recall and loved about Christmas then and now, is shopping. I looked forward to Grand Market when the shops opened late and now getting stuff off the kids wish list. I live in the desert so we have to take time off to get to the snow.

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - rhonda - 12-05-2011

Cher, I have never yet had the opportunity to spend a Christmas in Jamaica
many times...

my Jamaican friends tell me how I would love it there for Christmas.....I know they are right.........
reading all you have written reminds me how, yes, I would love to be there.......

all the work to make things run here, with my business, for the holiday season.......booking parties, decorating, having to run to here and there
to get so much done......oh how I would love to be there instead :-)

January soon come~~~all this work will be behind me and I will have that likkle
bit of time to chill~~~~thanks for sharing the vibes~~~love it

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - VenusdeMilos - 12-05-2011

Nice thread in the run up to Christmas Smile I like reading about the different traditions and thoughts from around the world.

We bought a freshly made Jamaican Rum cake one Christmas in Ja. and it was delicious! I remember it well...

They paint the trees white to keep the area fresh and clean and free of insects. Im guessing...thats why they do it here.

Re: Christmas ah Yaad - Nikki - 12-07-2011

LOVE CHRISTMAS/NEWYEARS in Jamaica!!!.....GOD WILLING I'll Be there!!!