The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Our Cuban break from Jamaica - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Our Cuban break from Jamaica (/showthread.php?tid=37431)

Pages: 1 2

Our Cuban break from Jamaica - Tim - 12-03-2011

Wife and I recently returned from our trip to Cuba, specifically the Guardalavaca area near Holguin.
Overall it was a great trip, with many new experiences from past vacations. It started with a very quick exit from the Holguin airport. From the time we exited the jet to walking outside with our luggage was well under an hour. Customs was a breeze with no questions asked. Only issue was "our" bus didn't appear to be waiting for us as there was supposed to be a dude holding a sign with our name. We ended up getting on a air canada vacations bus that was almost full and the tour guide assured us they would drop us at our resort after the rest of the passengers were delivered. Was very warm and humid, the temp showed 27C outside on the thermometer mounted on the bus, and this was around 9PM. I wished it had been light outside as it was an hour ride to the resorts and I'm sure there was plenty to see besides the edge of the road.
Once we were checked in and had a bite at the buffet we went directly to a nearby beach bar, a place we would know well by the end of our trip. I have several relatives that frequent this area yearly and was aware of this busy little party happening hightly. Sure enough an Aunt and Uncle were there when we arrived. We were quickly introduced to many Cubans and the drinking of many cervesas began, at the price of 1 CUC (1 buck) each. Anywhere you went, if they sold beer it was the same price. We partied till 2:30AM, not bad considering we were up at 4:30AM to catch our flight from Saskatoon to Toronto.
At 9 the next morning we were rudely awakened by a loud knock on the door. The reason for this trip was a cousin was marrying a Cuban fellow there and his family had invited everyone to a lunch at a nearby restaurant. So we dragged our asses out of bed, showered and next thing were back on a bus for a 5 minute ride to a small place, not unlike many Jamaican restaurants. But this was a special day, and to celebrate they were having an official pig roast, with the freshly killed oinker just starting to sizzle over a fire attended by a couple guys taking turns spinning the beast.
Was a great meal, supplemented by fresh Marlin, rice and peas, avacados, yucca, and a few other things. As well the beer and rum flowed freely.
Well despite plans of an early bed that night we ended up back at the beach bar, only till 3AM instead.
The whole trip seemed to follow a similar pattern, with us hanging at this very popular bar every night but one (I was a little ill), even though we could be drinking for free at our resort about a 5 minute walk away.
I had really hoped to do some fishing while there and did a variety of methods. One day 4 of us (one of my brothers, a cousin and his son, and myself) hired one of the few charter boats to take us out for a half day. I figured it would be pretty rough as it was fairly windy at our resort and not exactly calm (couldn't go snorkeling). Now I have never been seasick in my life, and have been out in some pretty big water. But once we left the calm of the marina and entered the ocean it was obvious this was going to be interesting. Our boat was not huge, I would guess 30-35ft and no exaggeration, we were in waves well over 20ft, probably more like 25. Add to that we were pretty hungover and we never really took advantage of the free beer and rum on board. No problem for the boat captain and mate, they made sure to drink their fair share. In the end nobody spewed, although I was on the edge and I'm sure big bro wasn't far off either. It have to admit I was kind of relieved when we started to head back, I was a bit nervous besides my stomach boiling from the way our boat was being tossed around. But on a positive note, I landed my first ever Mahi Mahi, and my cousin caught a beauty Wahoo, around 30lbs.
We met many Cubans this trip as my relatives know many people there, and were were invited to different families houses almost daily. It was very humbling to have these people offer up the best of what they have and ask nothing in return.
My younger brother and his girlfriend are very close to a couple from a small town near Havana which is over 10 hours away by road. They travel there every year and split time between a nearby resort and their Cuban friends house. Anyways, bro and g/f arranged to have a ride bring them to Guardalavaca and paid for them to stay a week at our resort, something they could never afford to do on their own. My wife and I got to meet them and we spent many hours together and I can see why they are great friends. By the end our our trip they had invited us to come back to Cuba and stay with them.
As much as there were similarities to Jamaica, there were also many differences. The first thing you notice is the vehicles. It was like going back in time with all the cars from the 50's. A highlight for me was going for a cruise in a 1954 Cadillac convertable. It was owned by an uncle of the groom and he insisted on taking us for a ride on day. His car is somewhat rare in that besides the model it still had the original V8 engine. Most of the cars you see have had the engines switched to small 4 cylinder diesels.
There weren't any roadside food vendors or anyone on the beach peddling anything. I was asked for money once, but never hassled by anyone whatsoever. There was a open market next to the resort. Many people had close to the same items but i found a few unique items including an awesome painting I cant wait to have framed. We learned that the vendors were only allowed one day per week, so every day were new people set up.
The first few days it was windy and the water was too rough to try snorkeling but eventually it calmed down. The water temp was similar to Negril and what was nice was there was a reef about 2-300yds out from shore that you could easily swim out to as it was quite shallow most of the way. We never saw any huge schools of fish but did have a group of 20 or 30 yellowtail snapper follow us the whole time we were out one day. These were definately eating size fish, probably in the 16-24 inch range.
One day we took a horse drawn carriage for a tour for about an hour. The driver was very informative and friendly. We stopped at one point and he gave us a bit of a walking tour in a residential area. There were these very large apartment blocks that people lived in for no cost, although I'm sure thats what they could afford. From what I learned the best jobs are in the tourist industry as they can make way more money off tips than what their wages are. (anywhere from 20-40 pesos/month)
Although the official language is spanish it seems most people can at least speak a bit of english, so communicating was never a problem. The resort food wasn't great, but not terrible either. Breakfasts were really good, with eggs made to order and really good bacon. For the other meals the meat wasn't great but there was plenty of rice and peas as well as veggies, plus all the ice cream you could eat, which for me is alot. We generally avoid AI's but really it seems thats your only choice where we were.
All in all we had a fun trip, no real problems.
Would I go back? For sure I would. Will we go back? Hard to say. Wife is going to Costa Rica on a school trip at Easter which I may or may not go. Might do a solo trip to Florida for some fishing instead, then next winter its back to Jamaica to check out the Port Antonio area. After that who knows - Thailand and Austraila have been discussed, as well as Peru. So many places to see, not enough time.
Will post a few pics once I get them downloaded.

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - suzengrace - 12-03-2011

Wow...what a great trip..If only I wasn't an American I'd be there in a heartbeat(though they're loosening the reins a bit for us- esp.medical workers)..

Coasta rica is a really nice plce to visit too..felt very safe there and beautiful rain forests..

But Port Antonio...Oh PA...Love that place and it's gorgeous surroundings..

What about some pics of Cuba ????

I get you Tim...just not enough time (and funds) to get to all the places in the world I want..I will be going to Vieques Island (as well as San Juan) in May-someplace I've been wanting to visit since our heard US Navy left there..Still very pristine(like Negril back in 70's) not real bulit up yet.....

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - macyoder - 12-03-2011

Patiently awaiting the pics. Since majority of my relatives live in Canada, they opt to vacation in Cuba. I am often tempted to travel from Jamaica to Cuba but doubt I ever will. On our to do list, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Bali but need to focus on kids' college in 2 and 5 years. My possible last trip to Jamaica will be next summer and of course seeing Port Antonio.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - wit - 12-04-2011

thanks for the report Tim. Very informative. Congrats on catching your first mahi.

I find it interesting people's different perspectives on Cuba. Some love it and others hate it...guess that's similar to jamaica though lol. I just had a conversation last week with a woman who had just returned from Cuba. I asked her if she'd return and she said no because what she didn't like was the fact the Cuban's aren't allowed any entrepreneurship.

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - oldtimer - 12-04-2011

Cuba is great.Wonderful music,take a heart attack and your in the right place and virtually no crime.It's a beautiful country !!!

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - wit - 12-04-2011

Cuba is great.Wonderful music,take a heart attack and your in the right place and virtually no crime.It's a beautiful country !!!

for us....Port Antonio and then we are done with Jamaica. Cuba is first on our list. I cannot wait Smile

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - Tim - 12-04-2011

Here are some random pics in no particular order. I wish they were up to Sprat or Yamangirl quality but my skills are weak and my Pentax WG-1 waterproof doesn't take nearly as good photos as I had expected when I bought it this spring.
Wit- I understand the Cuban government is starting to relax the laws regarding citizens running their own businesses. (although they will pay heavy taxes on income they make). One friend we were introduced to makes CD's and DVD's to sell. He gave my wife a Salsa dance instructional DVD.

A few more, hopefully a bit larger...

One more set.....

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - dave - 12-04-2011

Nice photos
and really enjoyed your report
Thanks..