The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Traveling around JA via the route taxi system - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Traveling around JA via the route taxi system (/showthread.php?tid=36477)

Traveling around JA via the route taxi system - Sharleen - 11-16-2011

I have great luck in traveling around Jamaica via the route taxi system for a really cheap rate -- it seems to me that only an extremely small fragment of the foreign visitors use the system.

Each and every time I have travelled some far distances via the route taxi point to point thing, I have always made sure that I have had some food with me, some water with me, some TP (toilet paper) with me. The set up is sort of like a circular van to van system. Most of the times, "they take really good care of me" driver to driver making sure I get on the correct next 'transport'. Without their support, I would be TOTALLY lost. I'm talking of something like seven to eight van changes.

In almost all of my travels, I have been the only non-Jamaican person on board. Sometimes (when it starts to get late at night) I begin to get scared... I don't want to be dumped at 10 p.m. at a fairly scary area (to me) section of Mobay. I usually explain this to the van driver who (most usually) agrees with me and will drop me off at the airport, where I hope to find a taxi driver who knows me & will give me a decent price. I always feel absolutely horrible when "the entire van load of Jamaicans complain" that I am being dropped at the airport. I always say to just let me off at the top of the entrance, but they always drive me right in.

The whole system though (island transport) is really pretty amazing! Town to town to town to town on a really budget type of deal, even the food at each place, water at each place really a good deal. If it wasn't for the extremely LOVING CARE that I was provided with, I wouldn't have know where to go, what van to get on next, the whole system of drivers took care of me in a very gracious and giving manner.

Re: Traveling around JA via the route taxi system - fatty - 11-17-2011

A week and a half ago...I returned a rental car to the airport. I took route cabs from the airport back to Negril. 100J from the airport to MoBay bus park. 180J from MoBay to Lucea (big 15 passenger van with a Bruce Willis movie playing on the drop down screen near the front). 200J from Lucea to Negril. 100J from downtown to my place. 580J from airport to my gate. Not only did I save some $$$ but I must say it was quite the experience!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

Re: Traveling around JA via the route taxi system - oldtimer - 11-17-2011

Adventures !!!! nothing like them.!!!!! As much as I've always had a car in jamaica (Lada's ,VW'S,Toyota's) we use to walk ALL !!!! over Kingston on a regular bases.One time we walked from Middle Quarters to Sav.It took us from early morning until about 9:00PM. I have been across the interior dozens of times but I wanted to get a group and take 3 days and walk across from Mandeville to Duncan's. No one wanted to do that but it would have been BIG FUN !!!! it would probably take a week now, or more...hehehe but like everything else it's one step at a time.